By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Divinity OS2: Definitive edition is pure perfection. Best RPG ever?

I ..

Own Divinity os2 and will return. 3 12.00%

Will be buying the definitive edition. 7 28.00%

Won't be buying. 7 28.00%

Interested and may buy in the future. 8 32.00%

Comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 0 0%

Total:25
John2290 said:
Areym said:
Do people who bought the original get the updates that come with the definite edition or is it exclusive to the definite edition?

You get it free as a seperate game in your steam folder, same as the first game. 

Obviously, you'll need to rebuy it on console. 

Balls, i've got like 40 hours sunk into it and i've just barely got out of the first prison island. I am tempted to start over if it's gonna be a free update.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Still need to play the first one xD

John2290 said:
shikamaru317 said:

"Pure perfection" and "Best RPG ever" with a 92 meta? Sensationalism at it's finest xD

That's what the question mark is for. It's the whole point of the thread to see what prople think. I knew I shouldn't have added the MC in.

It's fine - it got me to click on the thread again. :)

People have opinions and whatnot.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Also if anyone finds a good video review, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I'll watch IGN's when it comes out but that's the only one I usually check be default.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

My GOTY from last year. Glad it’s got a great port to consoles.

Around the Network

Someone here might have advice for me.

I have just started (~90 minutes) the first game on Xbox One. For whatever reason I cannot get in to it. I suck, I am not particularly loving it. Yet on paper everything about it is right up my alley.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have any tips on what I should be focusing on? Really want to give it a fair go given its reputation.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

John2290 said:
starcraft said:
Someone here might have advice for me.

I have just started (~90 minutes) the first game on Xbox One. For whatever reason I cannot get in to it. I suck, I am not particularly loving it. Yet on paper everything about it is right up my alley.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have any tips on what I should be focusing on? Really want to give it a fair go given its reputation.

Explore everything. Use every option available to you. Read every description and listen to every conversation. There are multiple ways to complete quests and progress but you'll have to figure them out with your noggin, they are't obtuse and you can litterally smash your way through some quests if you are coming up short. 

If your really having trouble consult a youtube guide for the first area to get you rolling or watch a lets play and consult a starting classes guide.

First matter is picking up two extra party members to supplement your two and progress the main story until you get the invaluable teleporting pyramids. 

At the end of the day though, you can stumble through the game quite easily with enough exploration and things will eventually click regardless of wheter you're using your head or not. 

Also, 90 minutes is nothing in these games, a fight late game could last 90 minutes on harder difficulties, any Rpg of this scale should be given at least 5 hours just to acclimate to the systems, expect to be ten hours in and around the starting town at least after the first dungeon. 

Thanks thats helpful. Sounds like I really just need to commit a decent period of time to it.

Maybe I will put off the new Tomb Raider until a price drop and press on with Divinity instead.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

John2290 said:
Areym said:

Balls, i've got like 40 hours sunk into it and i've just barely got out of the first prison island. I am tempted to start over if it's gonna be a free update.

Well, at least you'll have know what you're doing this time around :D You could cut that time in half if you skip dialouge and probably get more Exp for going into reapers coast. Also, was Fane available on your first time through? What playable character's were there? All 6?

yeah, all 6 were available. I went for the red prince, the elf lady and possessed lady. I did decide to change my main character from pyro warrior to pyro archer 30 hours into it so it would be nice to do it from the get go.

I'll probably start a new game on definitive and see if I can forget i started my old one all together. I've done the same with Fallout 4, new vegas and the original divinity (twice on PC, once in PS4)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

John2290 said:

I thought the issues with The witcher 3 on launch on the PS4 were horrendous but somehow very forgivable given the game was so good. They did fix the worst of it fairly fast like the UI text size and the bogs frame rate. Thing is, besides the Bogs frame rate my mate with a beast of a PC and a killer laptop, was having worse issues than I so I didn't bother buying he game on steam, stayed for the trophies and ecosystem and when I went back for the DLC on OG ps4 the game was working superbly with reworked menus and no issues in sight besides longer load times after death which for some reason didn't bother me the first time round even after the plat and many deaths. 

All in all, I was disappointed at launch but that was over ridden by how good the game, I had little issue on my second run going for the plat after patches and fixes and I was blown away by how well everything worked going back for the expansions. 

As for getting swept up in the hype, that's not me. If a game is getting me pumped up that much and I'm loving it in the moment, time away from it doesn't effect my opinion but mostly solidifies it. I'm in my twenties now, I know my self well enough to know what I will look back on in retrospect and still have the samr opinion as I do in the moment. My posts may seem hyperbolic and rating games as my GoTY do far or GoAT as with Divinity OS2: DE are actually calmly thought out and evaluated. Unless divinity does something drastically different and the rewriting of Act 3 goes completely wrong I can't see at this time as to why it wouldn't be anything less than the game I have played the last week, pure and utter perfection.

TW3 was a game beyond all in 2015 and it's strengths outweigh all ot's negatives to a degree where they can not only be forgiven but you barely notice them. 

Divinity OS2 on the other hand has the strengths with little of thw weaknesses. It's... as I keep saying some kind of perfection and just as, if not more engrossing and fun as TW3 or any game I've played. 

I will be turning 30 years old in less than a month (September 28), and while I am capable of straying from the pack and enjoying things despite their mass appeal, I can fairly say that certain factors can influence me to some degree.

I am a little ashamed to admit it, but here's an example: I hadn't played World of Warcraft for several expansions, and a couple months ago I had decided that I wanted to re-experience it again. I played the game for less than three hours before getting bored and deciding that it wasn't fun anymore.

The new expansion just recently came out, so the game is trending again, and given all the praise I've been hearing, I gave it another shot. It's been a week or so and I'm still playing, now level 40. So why didn't I enjoy the game two months ago?

Knowing that other people are also playing and enjoying the game influenced my ability to enjoy the game. It's strange, and something I feel I should be ashamed to admit, but I'm just being honest. I think there is an instinctual part of our brain that rewards us for doing things that are socially acceptable.

I may be exaggerating the extent to which this force influences us, but I think it's present at least a little bit in most everyone. Like when a sequel comes out to a game (or movie) that you've never played (or saw), and you seek to find out if it's necessary to play the original game first. Why even be interested in the sequel in the first place; why not go play the original?

I sort of took us off topic. :P

Regarding the Witcher, I'm curious now how my opinions of the game would differ if I tried it again today. I own the game, so maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

John2290 said:

I thought the issues with The witcher 3 on launch on the PS4 were horrendous but somehow very forgivable given the game was so good. They did fix the worst of it fairly fast like the UI text size and the bogs frame rate. Thing is, besides the Bogs frame rate my mate with a beast of a PC and a killer laptop, was having worse issues than I so I didn't bother buying he game on steam, stayed for the trophies and ecosystem and when I went back for the DLC on OG ps4 the game was working superbly with reworked menus and no issues in sight besides longer load times after death which for some reason didn't bother me the first time round even after the plat and many deaths. 

I can understand the issues with the Launch version on PS4, but again those were tweaked and sorted out later on down the line. I'm not sure how you can count your mate's desktop (not even going to consider a Laptop for running games like TW3 on them) not being able to run it and then equating it to all build types to then avoid buying it over on GoG/Steam. I nabbed it on GoG and it's been going fine with my beastly setup for a while  now, even with 4k texture mods. Maybe your mate's build wasn't as good or something was wonky at the time. With a console, the experiences are going to be the same, but on PC the issues will range differently. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"