By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the BF5 Failure Slow The Tide of SJW Agendas in Gaming?

Will BF5 Fiasco scare other companies from pushing agendas in games?

yes 29 42.03%

no 40 57.97%

Total:69
Baddman said:
Azuren said:

It's not that you can't have a badly written minority character. It's when it's clear you're entire push was "Look, my character is from an underrepresented group!" and you clearly made no effort to make an actual character.

It's called tokenism, and the left used to be against it. Now they support it's usage en masse.

sounds like bs to me honestly well written/actual effort is basically the same argument

You can put a lot of effort into a character and it still be shit. Quality isn't the most important thing, it's effort.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

EA has had a lot of bad pr recently, but the agenda of the game doesn't help either. I have no issue with a lesbian kiss or whatever, as long as it adds character and doesn't interfere with the experience of the game. But don't make a game to express your political opinions of whatever else because I'm not gonna enjoy it. Don't give a fuck if it's sjw shit or you want everyone to be white supremacists in your game, if your pulling that crap it makes it less enjoyable for the average gamer and means less sales.

Last edited by barneystinson69 - on 01 September 2018

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

ResilientFighter said:
iron_megalith said:
I wish it does but no. No when it's the "progressive" trend.

progressives tend to like anime while conservatives mock and ridicule otaku so based on your profile pic... you like sticking out like a sore thumb

At least I'm not trying to fit in. :)

DialgaMarine said:
Doubt it. Developers will just label anyone, who doesn’t blindly throw money at them, as bigots and then try even harder.

This. Because technically, EA has already labeled everyone who isn't buying into their inclusive SJW agenda "uneducated". Even though in reality, that statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Keep political pandering, identity politics, virtue signaling, and anything else that developers use to push an agenda. It's bad business - both from a public and financial standpoint.

Just as the saying goes: Get Woke, Get Broke.

Game's design is probably flawed if tons of your customers are paying more attention to the politics rather than anything else of value or substance in the game itself ...

EA shouldn't be doing this since they're already on thin rope with FIFA being their only real cash cow left ...

Around the Network

After 17 pages it's still laughable that y'all have taken unconfirmed pre-order numbers to mean "gamers hate women".

Before anyone cites EA's response as some sort of mortal offense to the gaming community;
1) It was explicitly referring to people that would have a problem with women
2) It just called them uneducated, which is barely an insult and more of a statement: there were women in WWII (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_World_War_II)

So for this many people to be offended by EA, it'll still mean they think they were talking to them; ergo that they have a problem with women.

Tulipanzo said:
After 17 pages it's still laughable that y'all have taken unconfirmed pre-order numbers to mean "gamers hate women".

Before anyone cites EA's response as some sort of mortal offense to the gaming community;
2) It just called them uneducated, which is barely an insult and more of a statement: there were women in WWII (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_World_War_II)

So for this many people to be offended by EA, it'll still mean they think they were talking to them; ergo that they have a problem with women.

17 pages?! You need to increase the number of comments per page. Its only 2 pages for me.

Women were involved in WWII, but the game is also rewriting history. Personally, I don't really care. Do I think they put women in games to appease certain groups? Absolutely. I just don't care.

I don't think the average gamer or person in general supports the SJW nonsense. But are people really not buying games because of SJW values at studios? Its hard to wrap my around that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Tulipanzo said:

17 pages?! You need to increase the number of comments per page. Its only 2 pages for me.

Women were involved in WWII, but the game is also rewriting history. Personally, I don't really care. Do I think they put women in games to appease certain groups? Absolutely. I just don't care.

I don't think the average gamer or person in general supports the SJW nonsense. But are people really not buying games because of SJW values at studios? Its hard to wrap my around that.

It's pretty telling that, despite admitting that women were in WWII, you still would consider their inclusion is SJWs pandering.
Tells me more about anti-SJWs that they'd see any inclusion of women, even when historically accurate, as pandering to undisclosed "groups".
The reality is that for some people having women in their war game ruins their power fantasy, and it's masked as concern for historical realism to mask how pathetic it is.

Tulipanzo said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's pretty telling that, despite admitting that women were in WWII, you still would consider their inclusion is SJWs pandering.
Tells me more about anti-SJWs that they'd see any inclusion of women, even when historically accurate, as pandering to undisclosed "groups".
The reality is that for some people having women in their war game ruins their power fantasy, and it's masked as concern for historical realism to mask how pathetic it is.

Sigh... their involvement in WWII is not reflective of what we will be seeing in this game. The trailer in general looked more like a superhero movie though.

You ignored my main points though. If they're making conscious decisions to put women, minorities, and whatever else in the forefront of their game to be more inclusive. I'm fine with that and SJWs have been begging* for this (begging = calling developers bigots). I don't think its a coincidence we're seeing this happen, again I just don't really care.

I don't buy your bullshit about "power fantasy." Games with women have been successful. Such as Tomb Raider, Hellblade, Metroid, Resident Evil, various FF games, etc. However, I do think people are responding negatively when developers APPEAR to be pandering or giving into SJWs.

As I've said before, AAA games are designed by teams of people and cater to certain ideals. I'm not sure what the solution is, its evident making everybody happy isn't viable. But I don't personally care, I'll keep playing games if they're good. People say the last Mass Effect was a failure for SJW reasons, but I mostly recall the game being attacked for simply being shit. Meanwhile I also recall a GameSpot review for being critical of GTAV's misogyny, but the best thing GTA can do is not cater to SJWs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Tulipanzo said:

Sigh... their involvement in WWII is not reflective of what we will be seeing in this game. The trailer in general looked more like a superhero movie though.

You ignored my main points though. If they're making conscious decisions to put women, minorities, and whatever else in the forefront of their game to be more inclusive. I'm fine with that and SJWs have been begging* for this (begging = calling developers bigots). I don't think its a coincidence we're seeing this happen, again I just don't really care.

I don't buy your bullshit about "power fantasy." Games with women have been successful. Such as Tomb Raider, Hellblade, Metroid, Resident Evil, various FF games, etc. However, I do think people are responding negatively when developers APPEAR to be pandering or giving into SJWs.

As I've said before, AAA games are designed by teams of people and cater to certain ideals. I'm not sure what the solution is, its evident making everybody happy isn't viable. But I don't personally care, I'll keep playing games if they're good. People say the last Mass Effect was a failure for SJW reasons, but I mostly recall the game being attacked for simply being shit. Meanwhile I also recall a GameSpot review for being critical of GTAV's misogyny, but the best thing GTA can do is not cater to SJWs.

"I'm fine with that and SJWs have been begging* for this (begging = calling developers bigots)" [citation needed]

Your problem with citing other games with women as successful as some sort of proof is that it fundamentally misunderstands how these outrages come to be.
Chiefly, they require a narrative of some sort of ill-defined threat coming to get what's yours.
"Some game has a woman in it" isn't newsworthy. However "YOUR game now has a woman in it" will make waves.
Then you come up with a convenient excuse, and mask your view as that of "the fanbase". Which is were you see the holes in the explanation.
For example, "Tomb Raider continues to have a woman protagonist", nothing. "Shadow of the TB's Lara appears more muscular", now you got something.
(Beside, googling any of those titles+ sjws will give you plenty of results...)

"The trailer looked more like a superhero movie in general"
A quick glance at the reveal trailers for the last few games shows plentiful explosions, high-octane action, guy in armor shooting a machine gun, exploding helicopters, the works.
If anything, the BF5 one is more subdued than usual.
Regardless, if you don't like the tone... EA didn't even mention you. Why make up a conspiracy theory as to why a game has a tone you don't like?

You do inadvertently show that these outrages are all based on "appearances", i.e. not what's actually happening, but fail to realize that anything can be shown to be about "the enemy" if you don't define who you're actually up against. The possibility that these devs just want to have women because a) they were there and b) they like being inclusive is completely ignored. It's just "pandering" to the " sjws". 
One 9/10 review mentioning misogyny becomes comparable to countless people complaining about a woman in the marketing.
It's a total lack of prospective that allows you to claim you just care about games being good, while also mindlessly parroting the same points as every other "anti-sjws".