By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the BF5 Failure Slow The Tide of SJW Agendas in Gaming?

Will BF5 Fiasco scare other companies from pushing agendas in games?

yes 29 42.03%

no 40 57.97%

Total:69
contestgamer said:
Shiken said:

Which is exactly why we will not see politics in gaming die out unless the political stance itself dies out on its own.  Good games will sell, showing that adding political stuff in games will not stop it from selling.  Your reply only helps prove my point about why BFV failing will not shy devs away from being political as a whole.

Not really, it would sell more without the politics, which is his point.

Read my edit, which is the entire point.  My original reply posted before finishing.

So no, it will not sell more without politics.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:

Again, I don't get what point you're trying to get across. I never said that Battlefield is totally realistic, nor do I really care if they want to go for realism or not. This is not what the debate is even about. It's about real life WW2, and them claiming it's a totally realistic scenario that they portrayed, when they could've just ONLY say "its just a game" and be done with it.

The first part of that sentence was obviously straight-up sjw pandering, and cannot be put any other way.

I just provided a very thorough, detailed, and honestly not hard at all to follow reply. Even used quotes so you could understand what I was responding to. If you don't want to understand you don't have to. However you kind of just proved my point. You aren't into this discussion because you care about how it affects the game. You're into it because you care about idealism and identity politics. My "point" is that both sides are disingenuous. Originally this all started because you kept changing your language to make it seem like there was absolutely nobody that was creating backlash out of their own sexism. You clarified that it was just a mistake on your end, to which I said fine we have no disagreements. But then you responded to something else I said, which we again elaborated on. Your argument was based on false premises, I tried to reply to it, and now all the sudden "you don't get my point". It really is starting to just seem like convenient excuses are being made any time a point of yours is being criticized. Then again, people seem to think "points" have to be one-sided and overwhelmingly obvious, so I guess a reply that both blames DICE and it's followers is going to be misunderstood. If that is the end of the discussion, good day. However I hope you at least walk away with some form of self reflection or nuance. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
It depends on how well TLOU2 will sell. One more lesbian kiss and that might just be the breaking point.

Two girls kissing is not SJW, like not at all. This is very common an natural in our society, like 2 men kissing.

SJW is when something is depicted like very common when it's actually completely unrealistic and/or idealistic. Like bodybuilded women in charge in a post-apocalyptic world. :P

globalisateur said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
It depends on how well TLOU2 will sell. One more lesbian kiss and that might just be the breaking point.

Two girls kissing is not SJW, like not at all. This is very common an natural in our society, like 2 men kissing.

SJW is when something is depicted like very common when it's actually completely unrealistic and/or idealistic. Like bodybuilded women in charge in a post-apocalyptic world. :P

What are you talking about it? t's not common at all, I've never seen it happen in my life. 

contestgamer said:
collint0101 said:

Now you're just trying to predict the future. If 100 years from now there is legitimate opppession of white straight males that is comparable to the bigotry 50s or prior eras that is a tragedy that should be stopped but in the present all you're doing is actively hoping that attempts to better include underrepresented groups fail for the sake of securing the position of a group that currently dominates the vast majority of art and media. 

Yeah, but we are already experiencing that oppression. I've described this a dozen times now. Can a white straight male say or conduct themselves the same way a minority can in media? Can a white straight male say they want to cast white straight males in their movies, then celebrate it openly when they do it, and see the same response as when a minority does it? No. It's oppression, plain and simple. Certain people need to watch their words and conduct a lot more closely than others, lest they be branded and discarded from polite society.

That's not oppression. There are legitimate forms of oppression all across the planet and people not wanting to talk to you after you say something about wanting to celebrate white people is at the very bottom of the totem pole. If you want to blame something blame the legitimate forms of oppression that has lead to a culture where it's not ok for certain groups to say certain things because historically those words and actions were used to actually oppress people

Around the Network

Is everyone in this thread complaining about SJW agenda implying that  the inclusion of minorities and women as characters in fictional media has to be properly justified, but the inclusion straight white males does not?

Do you not see anything wrong with this mentality?

Also, I find the "keep politics out of my entertainment" rant infantile and shortsighted. I got news for you honeys, EVERY  creative product out there is political. Unless you're talking about science or math, you're making a political statement, always. What this people really mean, is that they don't want ideas they're uncomfortable with in their entertainment, which basically comes down to seeing people different from them as actual human beings. 

I for one would like to see my prefered medium of entertainment grow and become more mature, and I don't mean just blood gore and nudity, I mean artistic value as a whole, I would like it to be regarded as the form of art it is, as film or literature are. Those "games should just be fun" and "games are mostly bussiness" mindsets destroy that potential.

Last edited by DragonRouge - on 25 August 2018

StriderKiwi said:
KrspaceT said:
...Problem is that if you don't want 'woman in my Man game', there are dozens of other games than Battlefield with female protagonists to contend with. Lest you forget that last year had mega hits like Horizon and Splatoon 2 that prominently feature female characters, and you have plenty of more of those this year and up and coming from Lara Croft to Samus Aran.

Funny how you bring up Splatoon 2, I'm currently addicted to it.

And yet, I loathe BFV and EA's handling of what was a great property. SJW pandering may not be the only reason gamers are passing on it, but you can't argue it's not one of them.

This is a fundamental flaw of this argument: everyone's trying to lump anyone who doesn't preorder BV5 as a ___________.

"You're a conservative that touches him/herself to Doom Eternal!"
"You're a misogynist who hates Horizon Zero Dawn!"
"You're a snowflake who needs to stay off the internet!"

It's astounding how much these individuals sound like and use the same rhetoric as these SJWs that, according to them, don't exist or are vastly outnumbered by anti-SJWs!

Can you honestly not see the irony? EA comes out and makes a sweeping generalization about anyone making complaints about BFV. You're doing the same thing as EA!

As it stands, you only confirm my choice to pass on what is looking to be a terrible game from a terrible publisher.

Thank you. And no surprise that none dared to reply. People cant see when they are part of the problem. I have seen some very well made arguments just being denied with "racist, misogynist" and the like.

Im also one to think that while the main issue is the way EA responded to criticism that is harming preorders. ANd that really is what defines an SJW. Receiving any valid criticism and they basicly cover their ears and yell back racist or whatever. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

collint0101 said:
Aeolus451 said:

No one cares about whamen and minorities in video games. People don't want their fav IP being hijacked by sjws and turned into some propaganda film or game. They also don't want something to be hamfisted about politics. It's that simple. Take that Ghostbusters film for example. It was hijacked and changed to fit a political agenda. Filmmakers gloat/virtue signal on twitter and in interviews about changing it to suit their political agenda then fans get mad about it and complains to filmmakers.  Filmmakers mischaracterize the valid complaints about the IP being changed to suit a political agenda into "we hate whamen". Fans get madder. Film does poorly. 

TLoU is being hamfisted about it instead of being subtle in the first game. It's gonna turn some people off from it. 

With Miles Morales, it comes off as hijacking for political agenda. Peter Parker was killed off in Ultimate Spider-Man and replaced by Miles. It's a sore spot. Marvel in general has been on a sjw kick with its characters.

Marvel also killed off captain America and replaced him with Bucky for a while was that part of the sjw agenda? There's a clear double standard here, whenever something involves a minority or women it's a political issue or pandering but if you do the exact same thing but make the main character a straight white guy then it's not an issue and no one bats an eye.

The difference with that is that bucky was an established character already that took the mantle when Steve rogers died, but for miles Morales, he was solely created to replace peter Parker.

Also bucky was trying to be captain america to basically not loose a symbol, while for ultimate spider man was made to be a better version of spider man, he even has 2 new powers that make him at base much more powerful.

Another point witch you already mentioned, bucky was temporary as others where in taking the captains name, but miles was a permanent spider-man even after peter returned, or their universes united.

So no even close in being the same thing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DragonRouge said:

Is everyone in this thread complaining about SJW agenda implying that  the inclusion of minorities and women as characters in fictional media has to be properly justified, but the inclusion straight white males does not?

World War II was not a fictional event

numberwang said:
DragonRouge said:

World War II was not a fictional event

But Its depiction by the game is.

Are we not able to tell the difference?

Last edited by DragonRouge - on 25 August 2018