By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174
LuccaCardoso1 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

We have free will, nature doesn't. Nature acts on it's own accord. Even then disasters can have purpose (like forrest fires spreading certain trees or refertilising regions). But in general, nature acts on it's own precarious balance. The only effect of free will on nature is us not exercising caution or haste in dealing with climate change, leading to more disasters. As for disease, it's hard to imagine a biological system in which we have decay, but not disease.

But why would God allow natural disasters to exist then? They have nothing to do with human free will. Isn't he omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent? 

Yes, but these qualities do not contradict nature. If we move past Adam and Eve, God did not create the world for us alone. And since nature is by its very... nature morally neutral, why would it act in a moral way? Nature is the gray to our human black and white. It does not care for us alone. And why would God specifically reshape his creation to suit us as good natured?

Around the Network

Life is like roulette, it doesn't hurt to hedge your bets on two of the 12''s (e.g. 1st 12, 2nd 12, or 1st 12, 3rd 12 or 2nd 12, 3rd 12)

1st 12 = No God (once we die we die)
2nd 12 = Maybe / Undecided (hope there is something beyond mortal life)
3rd 12 = God (live forever beyond Earth)

Cobretti2 said:
Life is like roulette, it doesn't hurt to hedge your bets on two of the 12''s (e.g. 1st 12, 2nd 12, or 1st 12, 3rd 12 or 2nd 12, 3rd 12)

Yeah but the 1st and the 3rd are mutually exclusive, so your analogy doesn't really work...

B O I

It's hard to Believe in a God. If there was, what created it? The universe was created by something or someone billions of years before any book can explain why it was created. When you are in your personal space ship and you leave Earth go to a far distant Galaxy to another planet whether it supports life or not does Christianity matter at that time? Or Catholic or Hinduism or Islam or Muslim. Those religions have no jurisdiction there. Unless you bring other beings to populate the newly discovered planet with establish you own religion or a carbon copy of one and name your self Adam and you partner Eve. To seek physical evidence, Science, Exploration and Discovery is the key.

WolfpackN64 said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

But why would God allow natural disasters to exist then? They have nothing to do with human free will. Isn't he omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent? 

Yes, but these qualities do not contradict nature. If we move past Adam and Eve, God did not create the world for us alone. And since nature is by its very... nature morally neutral, why would it act in a moral way? Nature is the gray to our human black and white. It does not care for us alone. And why would God specifically reshape his creation to suit us as good natured?

Why didn't he make a better world, that works well for everything and everyone?

Around the Network
Flilix said:
WolfpackN64 said:

This will always circle. The most good world would be an unfree world, the best world is a free world, but which incorporates a neutral world and the possibility of evil. There are other conceptual problems with an exclusively good world (like the possibility of good without evil). In Daoism for example, the most Good world just wouldn't be possible without the negative aspects.

No. There's no evidence to support the God theory, and until there is, the answer will stay no.

If there ever was evidence for the existence of a God there would have to be some work done to prove if that's the god of christianity or any of the other major religions as if there is a creator I'm pretty sure they're all wrong.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Cobretti2 said:

Not really, cause you can still end up believing in the wrong god (which is likely as there's thousands to choose from) so you'd still be screwed.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

WolfpackN64 said:
Flilix said:

This will always circle. The most good world would be an unfree world, the best world is a free world, but which incorporates a neutral world and the possibility of evil. There are other conceptual problems with an exclusively good world (like the possibility of good without evil). In Daoism for example, the most Good world just wouldn't be possible without the negative aspects.

You don't need to have an unfree world to don't have natural disasters. Natural disasters happen with or without humans and they have nothing to do with choice.

B O I

I don't believe in God because:

1) Ever since I was a kid I always hated going to the church (The only reason I was convinced to go was because my mom bought me Pokémon cards afterwards)

2) Believing that anything exists without actual proof doesn't make much sense to me.

3) I'd rather believe in my own potential and work hard to achieve what I want than to just "believe in God and things will get better" like I've heard countless times from family, etc. I know not every religious person is like that, but I do want to roll my eyes everytime someone says that to me =P