By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is losing playstation console exclusives left and right this 2018.

Lawlight said:

Ok. I’ll get you that list. As for Burnout, the onus is on you to prove that the games were just delayed. From where we’re sitting now, it started as a PS2 exclusive.

Also, don’t use AC Pocket Camp as an example as the examples that I gave were released on dedicated systems. Would we say that Persona would be discounted because it’s a spin-off? Valkyria Revolution is not a VC game? Also, technically AC isn’t exclusive to Nintendo systems if they’re also releasing it on mobile. That doesn’t change no matter what 99% of this site says.

Is Tekken 5 an exclusive to the PS2 or not? How does the existence of Tekken GBA make Tekken 5 no longer an exclusive? 

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
A lot of these games were niche, but then performed way better than the developer thought it would. It feels like Japanese devs are doing really well this gen compared to last and I think it's partially due to the success of the PS4. I think a lot of these games may go multi but won't see the same success on the PS4. If they don't, next gen they will do the and where they will release as a times exclusive and probably release later on the Xbox.

I remember Sony and some devs crediting PS4 for the revival of Japanese devs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

These are all shovelware titles, Sony probably let them go because they didnt want to be known as the only source of these titles.

Honestly, it means nothing at this point. Sony lost a lot of former Playstation exclusives during the 6th generation and it turned out to be their greatest generation. Sony lost even more former PlayStation exclusives with the PS3. Exclusives are definitely important, but if a game ported to a competing platform after 2 or 3 years, then it has already served its purpose by that point.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

shikamaru317 said:
Lawlight said:

You’re padding your list with games that were never exclusives in the first place as they were on PC.

Grandia was never a PS exclusive.

Spyro hasn’t been exclusive since 2001.

Valkyria Chronicles went multiplatform before this gen started. The last VC game that was exclusive and released in the west was in 2010 and the last exclusive on a PS system was in 2011.

Same thing with Yakuza - it went multiplatform before the PS4 got released.

As you can, none of this matters as ultimately the PS console is about the unique and varied first parties and the enormous amount of third parties.

You're right about Spyro, I apologize there, it did go multiplat before this gen. You're wrong about the others though.

Grandia 1 was PS1 exclusive in the west according to wikipedia, and now the remaster is Switch console exclusive, that's a big change without doubt. 

Valkyria has never been multiplat before this gen. Was only ever on 3 systems, PS3, PSP, and PC before this gen, which made it Playstation console exclusive up until Valkyria Azure Revolution released on XB1 this gen. 

Yakuza only went multiplat in Japan with the Wii U collection, in the west it was only on PS platforms before this gen, now it's going to PC with hints of possible Xbox and Switch releases in the future. 

There seems to be a lot of twisting the term exclusive , let's look at Grandia it was on both saturn then PS1 followed by grandia 2 on Dreamcast later ported to  PS2 and to Windows in NA now that one is interesting since it was area  exclusive  then Grandia 3  published by Square - Enix on PS2 plus a bunch of spin offs ,so it is easy to see that Grandia after the dreamcast struggles simply went where the market for jrpg's was the strongest. Now  Switch is seen as a console with a number of things that make it ripe for porting jrpg's,  one is it's strong Japanese fan base another is the  form factor and let's not forget this is a port of a 21 year old game that been around the block .so no big change at all.

Yakuza's expansion had more to do with Yakuza sales stagnating and Sega wanting to expand the series.  Publishers putting certain games on the platform they see their sales coming from doesn't mean they will stay there they eventually follow the money trail in the PS4's case its market share was the golden egg and Xbox and Wii U underperformance meant some games that would have had PS4 as the main platform followed by the others just stopped with the PS4. now there is  enough growth to once again expand and Valkyria Chronicles is symptomatic of that it started out a niche title on PS3 and sold enough to to turn it into a series the thinking at the time was Vita would be a good fit with it's lower costs offsetting a reduction from PS3's sales especially with a fair few of those at a heavy discount, now with Vita no longer being a viable option and steam sales being ok multi plat is the way to maximise the sales.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Spike0503 said:
Years ago, when I saw FF XIII announced for the 360 I realized one thing, if the console manufacturer doesn't own the developer, the "exclusivity" is as frail as a house of cards.

There have been a few notable exceptions that I've noticed like the Persona series (the main games at least) staying PS exclusives for over a decade now as well as SMT (Main eries) staying Nintendo-exclusive for at least 20 years or so?. Yet other deals like Disgaea which I thought were rock solid with Sony ended up on the Switch not so long ago. My suggestion is to take the third party "exclusives" as "side-dishes" and focus on the main output coming from the first party developers.

It's more important to own the IP or individual games rights than the developer (Bayonetta 2 and 3 being owned by Nintendo, Crash Bandicoot not being a Naughty Dog owned property, etc) 

That's a fair point with those examples. I also remember another couple cases like with Insomniac developing the Ratchet series as well as Resistance and those are 100% rock solid exclusives because Sony owns both IPs. However, that doesn't diminish my point. There are some cases such as those but if you see that the developer is owned by the console manufacturer then you have a certainty that the game will remain a rock-solid exclusive.

shikamaru317 said:
Lawlight said:

You’re padding your list with games that were never exclusives in the first place as they were on PC.

Grandia was never a PS exclusive.

Spyro hasn’t been exclusive since 2001.

Valkyria Chronicles went multiplatform before this gen started. The last VC game that was exclusive and released in the west was in 2010 and the last exclusive on a PS system was in 2011.

Same thing with Yakuza - it went multiplatform before the PS4 got released.

As you can, none of this matters as ultimately the PS console is about the unique and varied first parties and the enormous amount of third parties.

You're right about Spyro, I apologize there, it did go multiplat before this gen. You're wrong about the others though.

Grandia 1 was PS1 exclusive in the west according to wikipedia, and now the remaster is Switch console exclusive, that's a big change without doubt. 

Valkyria has never been multiplat before this gen. Was only ever on 3 systems, PS3, PSP, and PC before this gen, which made it Playstation console exclusive up until Valkyria Azure Revolution released on XB1 this gen. 

Yakuza only went multiplat in Japan with the Wii U collection, in the west it was only on PS platforms before this gen, now it's going to PC with hints of possible Xbox and Switch releases in the future. 

Grandia still was only exclusive to PS if you’re only looking at the first one and only looking at the west. The remaster is not an exclusive to any platform.

Yakuza being exclusive in the west does not invalidate what I said. It cannot be considered and exclusive if it’s on another platform.

deskpro2k3 said:
It really doesn't change anything if they go multiplat. They'll still sell more on PS because in most occasions that's where their fanbase reside.

That's true, but the fanbase is there because the games used to be exclusive. If they are multiplats and new titles are too, then with time people will consider other consoles.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

CGI-Quality said:
contestgamer said:
These are all shovelware titles, Sony probably let them go because they didnt want to be known as the only source of these titles.

Which are shovelware titles?

Well No Man's Sky is plain shovelware. Crash and Hellblade are pretty bad, both below 85 Metacritic. Firewatch was mediocre and Edith was decent, but super short and pretty light on gameplay. So I suppose I overstated it by calling them all shovelware, but they're mediocre titles

Mnementh said:
deskpro2k3 said:
It really doesn't change anything if they go multiplat. They'll still sell more on PS because in most occasions that's where their fanbase reside.

That's true, but the fanbase is there because the games used to be exclusive. If they are multiplats and new titles are too, then with time people will consider other consoles.

The Sony exclusives make a difference.