By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Justin Trudeau clashes with eldery lady over illegal immigration: 'you Madame will have no place here'

Justin Trudeau

...dresses well 9 23.08%

...speaks French 8 20.51%

...invented peoplekinds 4 10.26%

... is the son of Fidel Castro 18 46.15%

Total:39

Some of the left needs to look up what tolerance means.

Around the Network
vivster said:
melbye said:

What was intolerant with what she asked?

She was insinuating that the money spent to integrate immigrants was wasted and had to somehow be given back to her people, which is not how the world works and which is not how tolerance works.

Which was of course conveniently omitted by the OP to further peddle his bigoted agenda.

OK... and? That is a perfectly legitimate question.

On your part it's funny you conveniently leave out the "illegal" immigrants part. Which a vast majority of Canadians never voted on the matter before Trudeau mass-invited them to show how virtuous he was. In fact, polling shows that a majority of Canadians (70%) believe the government has no idea how it is handling the situation. But sure, let's call everyone who has some objections about our government's handling of this situation intolerant.

Again, exactly what did she say about immigrants that was bad? She was asking about the legitimate financial burden that Ottawa imposed on Quebec. She didn't say anything about immigrants themselves. But that's the problem isn't it? Either you 100% approve of mass immigration and open-borders, and if you dare have 1 iota of objection however slight, you are intolerant, a bigot, etc. For people on the left, who supposedly don't believe in binaries, it's funny how binary you are on this issue. 

Sad how that elderly woman could have been alluding to the current absolutely piss poor elderly care in Quebec, which is incredibly understaffed and underfunded. If Trudeau really was as open-minded and tolerant as he claims, he could have probed the woman to see where this concern was coming from. At the very least he could have answered calmly, and reassured the crowd that they actually do have a plan about the situation. But noooo, let's just shout hysterically at the woman that she is intolerant.

To OP: Jesus. Another poor showing of Trudeau. The most recent polls show that the Conservatives are now neck to neck with the Liberals, and on the most recent one they even had a 6 point lead over the Liberals; down from when the Liberals used to have a 20 point lead. That with the recent provincial election in Ontario where the Liberals were completely wiped off the map,  I am cautiously optimistic.

Edit: Forget about it. Not even going to touch this one.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Xeon said:

My parents fled Vietnam and claimed refugee status in Hong Kong. I was born there then got sponsored to Canada. So no, it was legal for me. But my parents, not so much.

So you support illegal immigration?  Most immigrants I know dislike when people cheat a system they had to work within.

I support helping people who are desperate. Like I said, my parents fled illegally from Vietnam to Hong Kong where I was then born. We came to Canada legally but that wouldn't have been possible if my parents didn't take the risk of fleeing illegally in the first place.

It was certainly tough for my parents to integrate to Canada, but they did what they could. Fortunately, I was much more successful all thanks to their risk and sacrifice. I am grateful to Canada as well and work hard to pay back a nearly impossible debt.

Xeon said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

So you support illegal immigration?  Most immigrants I know dislike when people cheat a system they had to work within.

I support helping people who are desperate. Like I said, my parents fled illegally from Vietnam to Hong Kong where I was then born. We came to Canada legally but that wouldn't have been possible if my parents didn't take the risk of fleeing illegally in the first place.

It was certainly tough for my parents to integrate to Canada, but they did what they could. Fortunately, I was much more successful all thanks to their risk and sacrifice. I am grateful to Canada as well and work hard to pay back a nearly impossible debt.

So, does this mean that you would be ok with 100M desperate people get into Canada?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Xeon said:

So, does this mean that you would be ok with 100M desperate people get into Canada?

I assume you're speaking hypothetically?

I'm ok with accepting as many desperate people as we can. It's a short term burden but a long term gain.

Xeon said:
Lawlight said:

I'm ok with accepting as many desperate people as we can. It's a short term burden but a long term gain.

It’s a short term burden that will not turn in a gain in your lifetime, if ever.

Lawlight said:
Xeon said:

It’s a short term burden that will not turn in a gain in your lifetime, if ever.

Well, I've already shared how in one generation my family has already become tax paying, hard working, and integrated part of society. Maybe we were lucky and granted it is anecdotal, but the possibility is still there.

It may not be in my lifetime, but who cares? I firmly believe it would pay off eventually. Imagine if these immigrants became tax paying citizens. The benefits of that may not show with them but what about taxing their children when they work? Or their children's children? And on it goes. Would that not pay off sooner or later?

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

so... basically you're trying to rationalise intolerance and exclusion... isn't that bigotry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

in simplistic terms, we ban yelling fire in a crowded theater unless there is actually a fire because of the damage it can cause.  Is that being intolerant of speech and excluding those who wish to yell fire unjustly?  Yes.  But is it justified overall for the safety of the whole?  Yes.

If you tolerate intolerance, intolerance eventually rules out begetting more intolerance. Ergo to maintain tolerance, you must be intolerant of intolerance.  Hence why it's called the Paradox of Intolerance.  Because you must do the very action you are trying to prevent from happening.

the point i'm making is who decides what we collectively should be intolerant to?

do facts fall under the scope of what we should be intolerant to?

Xeon said:
Lawlight said:

Well, I've already shared how in one generation my family has already become tax paying, hard working, and integrated part of society. Maybe we were lucky and granted it is anecdotal, but the possibility is still there.

It may not be in my lifetime, but who cares? I firmly believe it would pay off eventually. Imagine if these immigrants became tax paying citizens. The benefits of that may not show with them but what about taxing their children when they work? Or their children's children? And on it goes. Would that not pay off sooner or later?

You know why it was possible for your family? Because there weren’t millions of others trying to get in at the same time. You’re also forgetting that not everyone will integrate. Statistics show that, in australia, 69% of refugees fail to get a job after 5 years and more than 83% of the households rely on welfare.

You might not care but the lowering of quality of life will affect other people. And just having tax paying citizens isn’t enough. There is such a thing as overpopulation. Infrastructure cannot expand forever.