By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What should Nintendo do next with 2D Mario?

What should they do with 2D Mario?

More NSMB is fine 2 6.06%

Just needs a new art and music style 4 12.12%

New art/music plus new modes/features 7 21.21%

Complete overhaul, like O... 16 48.48%

Transition to 3D Land/World style, 2D is dead 1 3.03%

Fully kill off 2D Mario, ... 3 9.09%

Total:33
Bofferbrauer2 said:

While this is not totally to the theme of the thread, I'm waiting for a Super Mario Bros that has both 2D and 3D levels, and uses all Powerups Mario ever had in his history (including the switches and Switch castles from Super Mario World)

I would love something like this, more similar things from Odyssey and some past Paper Mario games.

CarcharodonKraz said: 
How about charging $40 or less for it? Hard pressed to think of another company that charges $60 for a 2d side scroller in 2018. Let alone almost every year. That'd be the biggest thing they could do for the next 2d mario in my opinion. Same with kirby, yoshi, donkey kong, and any other 2d game they come out with.

DKTF is also port existing of 2D game and has price point of $60, game already sold 1.4m for one quarter alone. In other words this port will also be $60.

Around the Network

I think OP and some posts where it seems like we will have only one type of game, but IMO, games like Odyssey, SM3DW2, Mario Maker2 and brand new 2D Mario could easily coexist on same platform because they are different enough.

I would be happy with New Super Mario World, updated 2d graphics, local and online multiplayer, stage creation and other additions.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Miyamotoo said:
I think OP and some posts where it seems like we will have only one type of game, but IMO, games like Odyssey, SM3DW2, Mario Maker2 and brand new 2D Mario could easily coexist on same platform because they are different enough.

I'm not sure what about my original post implied that we could only have one type, but if you're referring to the poll, it was added later and the "no more 2D Mario" choices reflected attitudes in some of the posts I read, I wanted to make sure they had an option to choose. If I'd noticed the "Mario Maker is the end of 2D Mario" posts, I'd have put that in the poll too, but I don't want to reset the poll so I'm not adding it.

I personally am absolutely certain we will have more than one type. I mean we already have Odyssey and are apparently getting NSMBU, and the NSMB series existed alongside 3D Land/3D World on two systems now, and Mario Maker seems destined to get a sequel if not at least a port, so I see no reason why Odyssey style, 3D World style, traditional 2D Mario, and Mario Maker couldn't all exist on Switch. In fact I responded to Bofferbrauer saying I liked his idea too and I don't see why Mario Maker couldn't include 3D elements as well. We're limited only by what Nintendo is willing to try, and they don't hesitate to give us all the Mario we can handle, so you can bet we'll get 2D Mario eventually, 3DW2 eventually, Mario Maker 2 eventually, and maybe something new entirely someday. This thread wasn't really asking if 2D Mario was done, but rather what Nintendo could do to switch that particular type of Mario up a bit, because a lot of people think it's gotten stale lately with the current style. I really hope they do change up the style a good bit, if not a complete overhaul, because really, NSMB is the first time in 2D Mario history that we got multiple games in the same style, and while that's not inherently bad I think Nintendo overdid it.

CaptainExplosion said:
Miyamotoo said:

You mean they should try a Mario Metroidvania? Sounds pretty crazy.

Did you mean to reply to mine? I mean yeah, it would be a pretty good idea, think about it. The thing I said earlier with E.Gadd's gadgets and unlocking lots of characters with different abilities is already halfway there.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
Miyamotoo said:

I'm not sure what about my original post implied that we could only have one type, but if you're referring to the poll, it was added later and the "no more 2D Mario" choices reflected attitudes in some of the posts I read, I wanted to make sure they had an option to choose. If I'd noticed the "Mario Maker is the end of 2D Mario" posts, I'd have put that in the poll too, but I don't want to reset the poll so I'm not adding it.

I personally am absolutely certain we will have more than one type. I mean we already have Odyssey and are apparently getting NSMBU, and the NSMB series existed alongside 3D Land/3D World on two systems now, and Mario Maker seems destined to get a sequel if not at least a port, so I see no reason why Odyssey style, 3D World style, traditional 2D Mario, and Mario Maker couldn't all exist on Switch. In fact I responded to Bofferbrauer saying I liked his idea too and I don't see why Mario Maker couldn't include 3D elements as well. We're limited only by what Nintendo is willing to try, and they don't hesitate to give us all the Mario we can handle, so you can bet we'll get 2D Mario eventually, 3DW2 eventually, Mario Maker 2 eventually, and maybe something new entirely someday. This thread wasn't really asking if 2D Mario was done, but rather what Nintendo could do to switch that particular type of Mario up a bit, because a lot of people think it's gotten stale lately with the current style. I really hope they do change up the style a good bit, if not a complete overhaul, because really, NSMB is the first time in 2D Mario history that we got multiple games in the same style, and while that's not inherently bad I think Nintendo overdid it.

Yeah, I referred to Poll options that seems they are changed little.

I think they should go the Sonic Mania route, meaning they should make it in the SNES/Super Mario World style. Graphics, controls, sound, etc.

The game play is fine but the NSMB art style and especially that bland ass music need to go find a toilet and be flushed down one.

I contemplated writing an entire elaborate article on how to go back yet again to 2D Mario while keeping it fresh. I still may, and this topic is making me want to do so even more, but a few quick points that I think would help keep the series interesting and help recapture that excitement and appeal the series had circa Mario 3/World..

- Up the production value - NSMB was great, but had a pretty cheap and cartoony aesthetic, along with pedestrian, kiddie, and cheapo sounding music. Just because it's 2D doesn't mean it has to look bland, or that the art style can't be interesting.

- New and interesting unique worlds - See DKC for sort of what I'm taking about, with its Industrial world, Theme park world, and giant beehive. Enough with the basic desert land, water land, etc.. Have a candy themed world where you can get stuck in pools of honey, "negative" world where colors and gravity is inverted, or a psychedelic outer space world where Mario can fall into oblivion through black holes. That acidic forest place was about the closest in NSMB to being interesting. You could even have fun with the nostalgia a bit by throwing in a retro world where Mario turns back to 8 bit form similar to those small bits in Odyssey.

- New and more diverse lineup of powerups ala some of the recent 3D Mario games and Mario 3.

- Some sort of permanent upgrade system could be interesting, though I don't think they should push it too much with this so as not to lose the spirit of the simplicity of Mario and get too into RPG territory.

The 2D Mario formula itself is fine and will always have the potential to provide fun gameplay, it's just what Nintendo's doing with it at the moment that is beginning to made the experience border on blandness, as they're not making significant leaps in this series as they did from Mario 1 to 3, and from 3 to World to an extent.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 21 August 2018

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I'd start with New Super Mario Bros All Stars as a way of filling out Switch's library and leaving that series behind (rather than just porting U and Luigi U), then doing what a lot of people are suggesting here. The basic level design and controls are fine, but a bolder take on the aesthetics, music and selection/variety of content is needed; 'New Super Mario World' would be good, if they go ahead with those changes.