By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What should Nintendo do next with 2D Mario?

What should they do with 2D Mario?

More NSMB is fine 2 6.06%

Just needs a new art and music style 4 12.12%

New art/music plus new modes/features 7 21.21%

Complete overhaul, like O... 16 48.48%

Transition to 3D Land/World style, 2D is dead 1 3.03%

Fully kill off 2D Mario, ... 3 9.09%

Total:33

Outside obvious and most likely Mario Maker 2, new 2D Mario game needs to be something completely new and difrent from NSMB series.

Around the Network

While this is not totally to the theme of the thread, I'm waiting for a Super Mario Bros that has both 2D and 3D levels, and uses all Powerups Mario ever had in his history (including the switches and Switch castles from Super Mario World)

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 19 August 2018

I wonder if Nintendo sees Mario Maker the end of line for 2D Mario

Chrizum said:
Make it a true 2D game with hand drawn sprites and detailed backgrounds. Make the physics tighter, not like the ground is made of ice like in NSMB. Keep multiplayer.

Big AAA game ( same $$$ spend on 3D Mario Big Budget)

2D hand drawn or 2.5 a la Dragon Ball Fighters Z

4 coop players local and online

Invasion mode: 4 players local vs other 4 players, the others players controls the enemy ( goomba, koopa troppas, hammer brothers, piranha plants, etc)

Combat mode(VS): 2-8 players, local and online combine a la New Super Mario Bros. DS.

Ton of a secrets.

New bosses, new secrets, new powerups, new worlds, etc.

DK is a boss( DK island, invasion, maybe?).

How about charging $40 or less for it? Hard pressed to think of another company that charges $60 for a 2d side scroller in 2018. Let alone almost every year. That'd be the biggest thing they could do for the next 2d mario in my opinion. Same with kirby, yoshi, donkey kong, and any other 2d game they come out with.

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:
How about charging $40 or less for it? Hard pressed to think of another company that charges $60 for a 2d side scroller in 2018. Let alone almost every year. That'd be the biggest thing they could do for the next 2d mario in my opinion. Same with kirby, yoshi, donkey kong, and any other 2d game they come out with.

If it was a brand-new, big budget 2D Mario then I wouldn't have any issues with it being $60, but yet another NSMB? No thanks.

What's worse is that I'm 100% sure the rumored NSMBU port will cost exactly that, they did it for Donkey Kong so why would this game be any different?

I would love to see them take 2D Mario in a bold new direction, but they definitely need to improve the music and art when they do.

I think the main problem with the 3DS and Wii U games is the teams they game them to. Miyamoto doesn't want to work on 2D Mario anymore, so they let a team of relative noobs make the games. I think it is good for them to give the game to a new team, but it needs to be an experienced team. Let the Animal Crossing team or Retro Studios or even Sakurai have a crack on it. They are all experienced, but I'm sure they'd have a fresh take on the game.

Vini256 said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

If it was a brand-new, big budget 2D Mario then I wouldn't have any issues with it being $60, but yet another NSMB? No thanks.

What's worse is that I'm 100% sure the rumored NSMBU port will cost exactly that, they did it for Donkey Kong so why would this game be any different?

Word.

I've only played the Wii version of NSMB, and it was awesome. While I don't feel the staleness of the series because I only played one of them, if I were to get a 2D Mario I would want it to be something new rather than a new version of the same style as a decade ago. That'd be like if Super Mario World just felt like a new version of the original SMB.

They just need something fresh. NSMB is a HUGE seller for them but they need to freshen it up if it is gonna sell Odyssey-like numbers. I have no idea what form that should take, but I am very disappointed they are porting the Wii U NSMB to the Switch as that makes me think it's gonna be years before we see a new and fresh 2D Mario for Switch, when really after the drought of AAA first party games this whole year I was thinking a new 2D Mario game was likely next year, and instead we're just getting a port.

Multiplayer should stay as that is what has made the series so crazy popular, but the art style needs to be totally changed, and the whole gameplay should be changed in some way to make it feel new again, the way NSMB made 2D Mario feel new again a decade ago. Leave it to the geniuses at Nintendo to figure out the details.

Added a poll for the hell of it.