By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Prediction: Xbox Scarlet will use Nvidia GPU

Today I came up with this bold prediction after seeing the news about Nvidia announcing their rumoured RTX 2080 GPU with real time ray-tracing support at Gamescom. Actually, my prediction is based on these two facts:

• According to rumours almost all AMD stuff is working on Radeon Vega architecture specifically for PS5 which means that they probably don't have enough resources to work on the next Xbox hardware
  • Microsoft and Nvidia work closely on real time ray-tracing support which at least as of now if I'm not mistaken will only be available on Nvidia GPUs using DirectX 12 graphics API. I think it should be pretty obvious that Microsoft wants to use this technology in their next Xbox console, so maybe their partnership with Nvidia doesn't stop at only having real time ray-tracing implementation for PCs. This technology will also give a huge benefit over AMD-based PS5 in terms of graphics.
But, of course there are also several reasons why Microsoft might not go Nvidia way next gen:
  • Nvidia doesn't produce x86 CPUs, so MS will be stuck with separated CPU and GPU components and they will need to find CPU elsewhere which will increase the production costs. Also, abandoning AMD on GPU side can result in AMD refusing to sell CPUs for adequate price which will force Microsoft to choose more expensive Intel CPUs.
  • Backwards compatibility. Actually this might be the least problematic point because I think Microsoft is capable of handling such thing on software side. Original Xbox One and One X have already quite differences in terms of GPU architecture and both  work fine. On the other side, switching from AMD to Nvidia will mean that the next Xbox will drop AMD specific features support like FreeSync2
  • Past history of relationship between both companies. Microsoft lost billions with first Xbox because of Nvidia.
Even though considering all these negatives, I'm still gonna go with prediction that they will use Nvidia GPU for their next console just because of that AMD - PS5 rumour and because I think Microsoft wants that ray-tracing technology support so bad.

Around the Network

Uhhhh, shouldn't AMD actually be the ones getting paid by MS to develop and provide them custom hardware, instead of the other way around? >:)

Besides, AMD is developing Navi GPUs as well, and who knows what else.

That would make things interesting. AMD & Sony vs Intel/Nvidia & Microsoft. It would push all companies to be more innovative.

This is what makes each new gen so exciting. Who will team with Who, and what new tech will we see from those collaborations.

I would actually like to see this happen. I think it would be healthy for the industry. It would be really interesting to see how a PS5 Pro and XB4 X turn out if all parties step up their respective game.

MS could also through in a Tegra based XB4 Mobile, while Sony delivers a Ryzen + Navi Mobile power PS5 Mobile. That would make things even more interesting.

Can't wait to see things for next gen unfold, no matter how it plays out. New gens, and new hardware, are always fun.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
That would make things interesting. AMD & Sony vs Intel/Nvidia & Microsoft. It would push all companies to be more innovative.

This is what makes each new gen so exciting. Who will team with Who, and what new tech will we see from those collaborations.

I would actually like to see this happen. I think it would be healthy for the industry. It would be really interesting to see how a PS5 Pro and XB4 X turn out if all parties step up their respective game.

MS could also through in a Tegra based XB4 Mobile, while Sony delivers a Ryzen + Navi Mobile power PS5 Mobile. That would make things even more interesting.

Can't wait to see things for next gen unfold, no matter how it plays out. New gens, and new hardware, are always fun.

Nintendo using Nvidia Tegra X1 chip also makes it interesting. I'm assuming you accidentally left them out. This means two of the big three would be aligning with Nvidia.

You guys forgot , Intel now are making a GPU

AMD can do ray tracing either, and they have been in the development for this tech.

Also Navi is for PS5 while Vega for Apple product, that's what i read back then.

Around the Network

Doubt it. Otherwise, PS5 is going to definitely be the cheaper device. Also, rumors are that Navi is going into PS5 exclusively. If true, this means that MS would most likely try to match its performance with Vega.

Highly unlikely - nVidia's GPUs are always more expensive than AMDs, plus nVidia doesn't have x86 license.

Going by Nvidia's pricing and how expensive the new console would have to be going by it, I highly doubt it.

I do find these topics amusing though, seeing as how some people here seem to think that the big 3 are going so overspend on new systems, make them insanely cheap and not lose out on a single buck, while dishing out insane amounts of performance. The dream's are just a wee bit detached from actual reality though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

thismeintiel said:
Doubt it. Otherwise, PS5 is going to definitely be the cheaper device. Also, rumors are that Navi is going into PS5 exclusively. If true, this means that MS would most likely try to match its performance with Vega.

Exclusively just for one console and not for Desktop/Laptop GPU's?. I find that hard to believe. AMD would be insane to completely abandon the desktop/laptop GPU market like that and leave that market for Nvidia to consume.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"