By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Prediction: Xbox Scarlet will use Nvidia GPU

I would expect Microsoft to go with something like AMD or Intel. They are going to want their console architecture to be as close to a PC as possible.

Around the Network
loy310 said:
Sony wins by default due to pricing, AMD way more affordable. Unless MS eats the cost to be with intel or make a weaker console to at least be in price parity with an AMD PS5

And thats why there's a rumoured streaming box.

Azzanation said:

Well if Xbox have there budgeted Streaming Box than there premium model can have whatever they want i guess. Its been rumoured that the disk console wont be cheap and with the power of the Cloud, then going big will only make it even better. I am down for an Nvidea driven console. They make the best GPUs. Why not.

Also considering PC gaming is huge with Nvidea, it makes more sense since Xbox seems to want to cater for that audience more meaning more support for PC ports etc. Not saying AMD isnt big on PC and that porting would be an issue either way they go.

You forget that streaming box won’t be the main SKU because it can’t be it due to internet connectivity. Betting on this as a main SKU will lead to losing a gen. So they can’t go hard with the specs of traditional console. It still has to be affordable and cost somewhere around 400-500$ to succeed.

Define losing?

Xbox has always been designed around North America. If they can make a Streaming box thats dirt cheap than it will take the NA market by storm, and thats the biggest gaming market in the world.

There will be a disc system however at a premium price it wont be the major focus point.

derpysquirtle64 said: 

2) Of course. But nvidia claims that RTX 2080 will be able to do real time ray tracing right now when it releases. We’ll see more about it during gamescom reveal. And it is rumoured to be a 16 TF card. Don’t see why it would not be possible to have this in consoles at least during 9,5 gen upgrades.

The 2080 is rumored to be 12.2 TF. It is the Quadro variant that is pegged for 16. And that is single precision in both cases. Not happening either way, but that needed to be corrected.

derpysquirtle64 said:

1) Not really every manufacturer orders chips with specific number of components (shader units, ROPs, memory, etc.) for their needs. For example you can’t find PS4 and Xbox one APUs anywhere else. They are only used in these consoles.

2) Of course. But nvidia claims that RTX 2080 will be able to do real time ray tracing right now when it releases. We’ll see more about it during gamescom reveal. And it is rumoured to be a 16 TF card. Don’t see why it would not be possible to have this in consoles at least during 9,5 gen upgrades.

3) Agree. That’s why I mentioned that I believe it wouldn’t be a problem for Microsoft

4) It happened in Xbox, PS3 and Switch. I don’t see why it cannot happen in the next Xbox. The problem with nvidia is that they overprice their GPUs using their domination on the market. It’s not that they cost a lot more to produce than AMD ones. It is possible that Microsoft will be able to agree on the right price with them.

5) But every GCN gen, AMD adds new blocks to it. For example shader engines weren’t a thing before GCN 2. The thing here is that they are working with Sony on the next iteration of GCN specifically for the needs of PS5.

I think you might be a little bit confused here.

You do realize AMD designs it's GPU in blocks? Aka. Library's.
That then allows AMD to do iterative updates to parts of Graphics Core Next like the ROPS whilst leaving the rest of the chip identical.
Then companies like Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo can approach AMD and ask AMD for a certain number of each functional block.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I don't care what AMD, nVidia or Intel claims, they always make bold claims and do not always deliver, wait for hardware to arrive before getting excited.

And yes, the RTX 2080 can do real-time ray tracing when it releases, just like the Radeon x1900/2900 hybrid Xbox 360 GPU.

But do not conflate a hybrid ray-traced+rasterized approach to full real time ray tracing, we still need farms utilizing the fastest GPU's on the market which would totally obliterate the RTX 2080 in terms of performance and still take days to do a high quality render, let alone achieving that at 60fps in real time.

derpysquirtle64 said:

4) It happened in Xbox, PS3 and Switch. I don’t see why it cannot happen in the next Xbox. The problem with nvidia is that they overprice their GPUs using their domination on the market. It’s not that they cost a lot more to produce than AMD ones. It is possible that Microsoft will be able to agree on the right price with them.

In Sony's case they never consolidated the CPU and GPU chips in the Playstation 3, which impacted costs towards the end of the generation. Hence why they didn't Opt for nVidia a second time.
Microsoft got burned by nVidia the first time around, clearly after going with IBM or AMD for a couple console generations has been very telling.

derpysquirtle64 said:

5) But every GCN gen, AMD adds new blocks to it. For example shader engines weren’t a thing before GCN 2. The thing here is that they are working with Sony on the next iteration of GCN specifically for the needs of PS5.

Tell me more about these amazing shader engines. What they do, what they mean. Everything.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Microsoft isn't crazy to go Nvidia. They need to have good price, go Nvidia gpu and amd/intel cpu. Is too expensive, and no ARM cpu can compete whit Ryzen base cpus ( rumors says ryzen will be working on next gen amd based consoles). but...
We know that consoles makers can work on otheir consoles and give than an "extra" that makes it better, so... what if MS chose to work whit AMD chips for price, than go for some partnership whit Nvidia to create some kind of technology that's exclusive for xbox.
They chose one AMD chip whit low cost than work whit Nvidia to make it better.

Is this a possibility? Or it's hard to imagine Nvidia tech ported to an AMD based console.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

Around the Network

After what happened with the original Xbox... there is no way in hell this happens...

AMD has their own ray-tracing support. I believe ray-tracing will mainly be used for AA purposes next-gen.

It need to be as powerful as the 1080 ti.