By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft and Nintendo Rejected Yakuza; Now They Want it According to Toshihiro Nagoshi

That's a pretty interesting story. Especially the part about going behind his original boss' back to get approval from his new boss. A bit surprised that happened in a Japanese company, but in the end it worked out for the best.

Anyay, I hope Yakuza goes multi platform. It's a great series that deserves to get more fans worldwide.

PwerlvlAmy said: 
HollyGamer said: 

It's different, Sony never asking Bayoneta 2 or their sequel Bayoneta 3 to come to Playstation 4 and never officially publish Yakuza games under SCIE . In the other hand Nintendo publish Bayonetta under their name and now asking Yakuza to be release on Switch. Don't compare bayoneta with Yakuza 

Sony and others were approached in order to seek their interest level in the Bayoentta franchise. Sony and others had no interest in funding or helping another entry get made. In swoops Nintendo to save the day and  save the Bayonetta franchise. Sounds pretty similar to me.  Nintendo and Microsoft had no interest in Yakuza and then ended up finding a partner in Sony and gave the franchise a chance/saved that too.  So yes in my opinion I think they're very similar situations with both having great outcomes for both franchises.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft were mentioned by Kamiya. He simply said they made the proposition to "various publishers." Then he said that after not yet finding a suitable partner company, Nintendo "came in" and lent a hand. This suggests that they may not even have contacted Nintendo before that. And that Nintendo came to them presumably after hearing about it.
There are good reasons for why Kamiya would avoid going to the console makers themselves for a deal, and only do it as a last resort. Because doing so usually means your game will be restricted to one platform. Ideally you'll want to release the game on as many viable platforms as possible, so if it could be done with the help of a third party publisher, you'd start with them.
Or, if they did contact Nintendo themselves, it could mean that Nintendo took time to consider the proposition, and then decided to do it. But made the decision before anyone else. That doesn't rule out that other companies were still considering the proposition, but didn't act on it before Nintendo did, etc.

It's possible that Kamiya talked with Sony and MS, but it's also possible that they didn't get to that point yet, or that if they did, Nintendo made a decision quicker.
Since those possibilities can't be ruled out, I wouldn't say that they contacted Sony and MS as if it were a fact, unless Kamiya specifies them and what conclusion they reached, like the Yakuza producer did here.

SKMBlake said: 
taus90 said: 

How is it exactly same story, Considering close proximity of Platinum games with Nintendo I doubt they would have gone to sony or MS first for B2

Well they actually did it. And they refused.

And of course Platinium went to Sony and Microsoft first for Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta was made for the X360 and was ported to the PS3.

@SKMBlake Read my comment above.
I think it's important that we distinguish assumptions from fact. Especially when people commonly don't consider different scenarios.

Last edited by Hiku - on 14 August 2018

Around the Network
Gammalad said:
animegaming said:
Considering the series is going on a decline sales wise in Japan and due to the fact that its getting more popular in the west, I fully expect Shin Yakuza to come out at least on the Xbox One due its nature of being a soft reboot.

From what I read, fans in Japan were very mixed on 6.

A lot were torn on the ending (I kinda was too), a fraction of the content that Yakuza 0 provided, and had poor performance. So this led to some pretty poor word of mouth traction after the initial release. It wasn't until Kiwami 2 from what i've seen that fans were universally back on board with the series. Most people chuck Kiwami 2's sales as it not being a mainline entry and being the first solo console entry of the series since 5. So it'll be interesting to see how well Shin Yakuza performs now.

Admittedly I do have mix feelings on Yakuza 6 as well, but I thought the decline began before 6. But yeah it will be interesting to see how Shin does. 

animegaming said:
Gammalad said:

From what I read, fans in Japan were very mixed on 6.

A lot were torn on the ending (I kinda was too), a fraction of the content that Yakuza 0 provided, and had poor performance. So this led to some pretty poor word of mouth traction after the initial release. It wasn't until Kiwami 2 from what i've seen that fans were universally back on board with the series. Most people chuck Kiwami 2's sales as it not being a mainline entry and being the first solo console entry of the series since 5. So it'll be interesting to see how well Shin Yakuza performs now.

Admittedly I do have mix feelings on Yakuza 6 as well, but I thought the decline began before 6. But yeah it will be interesting to see how Shin does. 

Yeah Yakuza 6 was the first noticeable FW drop in Japan, at about 220k~ when Yakuza 0, 4 and 5 all sold about 330-360k FW

From what I remember the Chinese release made up for the poor FW in Japan. It could be Yakuza burnout but we won't know for a minute.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

I'm so glad that Sony took this risk. It must have been hard and so dangerous to go with this daring game. Thankfully they got out okay!

Check this out

Gammalad said:
animegaming said:

Yeah Yakuza 6 was the first noticeable FW drop in Japan, at about 220k~ when Yakuza 0, 4 and 5 all sold about 330-360k FW

From what I remember the Chinese release made up for the poor FW in Japan. It could be Yakuza burnout but we won't know for a minute.

That's probably it. With games being released yearly since 2005, I suppose it's to be expected that players might get a little burned out now and again.

Around the Network
RJTM1991 said:
Gammalad said:

That's probably it. With games being released yearly since 2005, I suppose it's to be expected that players might get a little burned out now and again.

Really makes me wonder how 7 will do. I would like to say this will be the first off year for the series in a bit, but they are releasing the 3-5 remasters lol

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

GoOnKid said:

You, you and you!

Educate yourself.

https://nintendoeverything.com/kamiya-again-comments-on-bayonetta-2s-initially-troubled-fate-and-how-nintendo-saved-the-game/

You also need to educate and better learning on reading comprehension , because the link you provided are never contradicted with what i said LOL  

SKMBlake said:
outlawauron said:

But it's not the same situation. Sega wasn't looking for a publisher partner for Yakuza.

For Bayonetta 2, Sony and Microsoft would have allowed the game to be on the platform, they just didn't want to pay them for it. Rejecting the game to release on your platform and rejecting the proposition to not publish are two very different things.

but still the same story

No it's different 

HollyGamer said:
SKMBlake said:

but still the same story

No it's different 

But still the same, my point exactly.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
HollyGamer said:

No it's different 

But still the same, my point exactly.

Sony never begging for Bayonetta , while Microsoft and Nintendo begging for Yakuza. Explain to me where is the similarity ??? 

I know the answer, it's not the same