By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft and Nintendo Rejected Yakuza; Now They Want it According to Toshihiro Nagoshi

PwerlvlAmy said:
SKMBlake said:

Indeed. And it's funny to see that in both cases, Sega is involved. And how they're willing to pay for another crappy Sonic game but don't wanna spend too much money on original content.

Yeah that part is mind boggling. Give so much money to Sonic games over other IP's. But hey its Sonic, its their identity and mascot, so with as bad as Sonic games have been, they have to keep riding that horse 

I for one enjoyed Sonic Forces.

KLXVER said:
Nintendo got Yakuza. It sold like shit...

Yakuza 1?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Yeah that part is mind boggling. Give so much money to Sonic games over other IP's. But hey its Sonic, its their identity and mascot, so with as bad as Sonic games have been, they have to keep riding that horse 

KLXVER said:
Nintendo got Yakuza. It sold like shit...

Yakuza 1?..

1 and 2 for WiiU in Japan.

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

Yakuza 1?..

1 and 2 for WiiU in Japan.

Hmm, I see. Per animegaming earlier in this thread, the series has been declining in sales in Japan hence Nintendo and Microsoft didn't care then...

SKMBlake said:
HollyGamer said:

That's because Sony never funded or investing on making Yakuza games, unlike Bayonetta to Nintendo. Yakuza problem was never about lack of funding because Sega approved it  , Bayonetta in the other hand were in different situation the sequel had never been approve by Sega and the Nintendo come to the rescue. 

That's not true. SEGA did asked for a sequel, so they started to work on Bayonetta 2 but then SEGA said "this isn't a good plan" and halted the development.

Then it's not approve , period.  

PwerlvlAmy said:
taus90 said:

Your explanation is based on that MS and Sony rejected Bayonetta 2. IMO this situation is more in line with a street fighter 5 situation with sony and MS with Rise of the tomb raider.

Yeah I personally don't see it the same way. But its cool. 

So it's not the same.

What the hell wrong with u ????????????

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
SKMBlake said:

That's not true. SEGA did asked for a sequel, so they started to work on Bayonetta 2 but then SEGA said "this isn't a good plan" and halted the development.

"SEGA did asked for a sequel", it's more than approving it, it's asking for it.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Sony took the chance when no-one else did. I always hoped that the series would remain a Playstation exclusive due to that.

SKMBlake said:
HollyGamer said:

"SEGA did asked for a sequel", it's more than approving it, it's asking for it.

and halted the development

animegaming said:
Considering the series is going on a decline sales wise in Japan and due to the fact that its getting more popular in the west, I fully expect Shin Yakuza to come out at least on the Xbox One due its nature of being a soft reboot.

From what I read, fans in Japan were very mixed on 6.

A lot were torn on the ending (I kinda was too), a fraction of the content that Yakuza 0 provided, and had poor performance. So this led to some pretty poor word of mouth traction after the initial release. It wasn't until Kiwami 2 from what i've seen that fans were universally back on board with the series. Most people chuck Kiwami 2's sales as it not being a mainline entry and being the first solo console entry of the series since 5. So it'll be interesting to see how well Shin Yakuza performs now.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

As far as I know, development of Bayonetta 2 was planned and/or underway when SEGA halted it due to money issues. Nintendo swooped in and saved the day.