By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Belgian insanity?

Some of you might know Belgium because of Tintin, Stromae, their amazing Footbal Team or the fact it was artifically created by catholic Frenchmen with delusions of grandeur.

It's also a nation where children, now, can be euthanized if they choose to do so.

Really - as long as sound of mind, you can indeed make the decision yourself. Some children as young as 12 have been euthanized.

At the same time, the age of consent in Belgium is 16.

Is it just me, or... there is something rotten in the Kingdom of Belgium here? Apparently, (their own) death is a easier concept for children and teenagers to grasp than sex.

This is not about whether euthanasia should be legal or not, or what the ideal age of consent should be, just about proportionality and what seems like a complete failure of common sense.

So, what do you think?

Around the Network

Real question, is it immoral to euthanize a child who is suffering from a disease that cannot be cured, And it is known he is going to die anyways? Or should we just let them suffer. I am still questioning myself on that, basically it would be legally assisted suicide as long as it is required for the child to consent.

@flilix How do you feel about this my Belgian?

Ontopic: I think this is ultimately good. Children suffering and being forced to meet a painful death is definitely a difficult and sensitive subject. I however think that parents must have the ultimate say in letting the child decide to let it end. The criteria above fit with what I think would be needed for it to make sense for me.

Sounds like you just don't understand our thinking.

RolStoppable said:
Sounds all-around reasonable what the Belgians are doing. Criteria that need to be met:

1. Parents, doctors and psychologists must agree.
2. Child must have been capable of rational thinking when making the call.
3. Child must be in the final stage of an uncureable disease.

Really, this is something that every country should have.

Indeed, and all of these criteria are taken very seriously. It's a lot harder to be euthanised as a child than as an adult.

That's why it took two years after the law was passed, for the first child to be euthanised: https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160916_02472929

And about the age of consent: they actually recently lowered it to fourteen years, because otherwise 14 and 15 year olds weren't even legally allowed to kiss with eachother. However, the age difference cannot be more than 5 years, so a 14 year old can't have sex with a 20+ year old.

Around the Network

Ha! I love how you left out the most crucial details and made it sound as if kids could spontaneously self-euthanize.

RolStoppable said:
Sounds all-around reasonable what the Belgians are doing. Criteria that need to be met:

1. Parents, doctors and psychologists must agree.
2. Child must have been capable of rational thinking when making the call.
3. Child must be in the final stage of an uncureable disease.

Really, this is something that every country should have.

Can we consider condition 3  a tautology for Belgians?      

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

morenoingrato said:
Ha! I love how you left out the most crucial details and made it sound as if kids could spontaneously self-euthanize.

Well it wouldn't sound so dramatic and clickbaity if the actual details were included now would it?

Here in Ireland we can bring loved ones to a doctor even if they're not consenting or aware and sign off to have them euthanized, they don't even get a say in it if they've been injured and some doctors will even offer to euthanize if you are moving to accommodation which doesn't suit having some members in the family even if they're healthy.

how do vets even sleep at night?....

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

It is possible for children to request euthanasia since 2014. It has been applied 3 times since then.
It is only being used as a last resort when every other treatment has failed and with the criteria mentioned above.
It is about letting people die with dignity in the proximity of their loved ones when all solutions deem hopeless, rather than giving an exit to every child struck with weltschmerz which would be the real insanity.

Sometimes Eutanizing is the more humane thing to do. There are plenty of decreases which are uncurable and cause a very slow and painful death. If the patiënt and there relatives and the medical is in agreement eutanizing the patiënt is the best outcome. Even if said patiënt is a minor.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar