By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Belgian insanity?

I think if you look at the criteria it's totally reasonable what Belgium does here.

Around the Network

Don't know much about Belgium's policies on this issue, but the high-profile cases in the UK of doctors and courts ordering parents to let their toddlers die really upset me. When the child can't even talk yet there's no way to get 'consent' to pull the plug, and when the parents want to continue treatment and another hospital is willing to take the patient why not allow it instead of fighting for a 2-year-old's 'right to die with dignity,' which apparently means withholding food as well as life support.

h2ohno said:
Don't know much about Belgium's policies on this issue, but the high-profile cases in the UK of doctors and courts ordering parents to let their toddlers die really upset me. When the child can't even talk yet there's no way to get 'consent' to pull the plug, and when the parents want to continue treatment and another hospital is willing to take the patient why not allow it instead of fighting for a 2-year-old's 'right to die with dignity,' which apparently means withholding food as well as life support.

Insane cases like that of Alfie Evans don't happen in Belgium as far as I am aware. 

Anyhow, Belgium doesn't exist, so this whole issue is just philosophy.   

https://zapatopi.net/belgium/

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

RolStoppable said:
Sounds all-around reasonable what the Belgians are doing. Criteria that need to be met:

1. Parents, doctors and psychologists must agree.
2. Child must have been capable of rational thinking when making the call.
3. Child must be in the final stage of an uncureable disease.

Really, this is something that every country should have.

This. End of thread

Around the Network

Even as someone who only really supports palliative sedation as an end-of-life treatment, the criteria are still quite strict.
What is more concerning is the moves being made to extend euthanasia to people who are mentally ill (which many psychologists reacted negatively towards) and the discussion around extending euthanasia to people who are simply "sick of life".

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Anyhow, Belgium doesn't exist, so this whole issue is just philosophy.   

https://zapatopi.net/belgium/

Exert out of the Link:"If Belgium doesn't exist, then what's in its location on the map?

There is nothing there! France shares a border with the Netherlands. Notice how Belgium is depicted as being wedge shaped? They simply pulled apart the French border from the coast all the way to Luxembourg and slipped Belgium in."

Wish that was true, we live in a town bordering Belgium, without Belgium we'd live right next to the beach ^^