By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

Azzanation said:

You wont notice there gone because you can still expect to be able to play there next game on PC assuming you own a Win10 PC. 

You also know why MS buys these companies right? to increase there popularity of there platforms, in this case Win10. If you don't like using Win10 that's fine, however that doesn't make Obsidians next game hampered or a failure, In fact it might be amazing now that they can obtain a bigger budget and support from a giant corporation. The only negative is to those who want to boycott platforms. In my eyes, I couldn't care less for those gamers.

I will play a good game regardless of the platform of choice if the game suits my preference. Just like Pillars, I brought it on Steam, and if there next game is just as good or similar than ill buy it on Win10. 

"assuming you have a Windows 10 PC", so yeah, if someone doesn't, then yes they will notice they are gone. I have a Win 1o license, but I am in no way using that horrendous storefront. 

They buy other existing IP's and properties to make themselves money and popularity, that's an absolute no brainer mate. They don't buy them for being angels or some charity case, hardly any massive company does something like that. Them buying them up means a lockdown on the IP and a lockdown to that userbase, assuming they will bow and comply with the obvious wish to use their storefront/system/OS and nothing more.

It actually does hamper their game, because it hampers where it's going and who it will be sold to. Otherwise, by the previous logic, everything, every game can be bought up by one company and not be deemed as "bad". I know you're more than willing to make an excuse as to why it'd be bad for someone else, but good for MS, which I'm not going to accept, because I truly believe that example given as being fundamentally flawed in a myriad of ways.

You talk of budgets, and yet I've seen plenty of games out there with inflated budgets, films even, that ended up bombing or not being anywhere as good as the money spent on them, so yeah, "bigger" doesn't always mean "better". Yeah, you couldn't care elss for them, which in likely return, they don't care for you, which is fine, because they can do what they want and support what they want, even if it means screwing you over in some way and I'm fine with that too, because I quite frankly couldn't care less what happens either. 

I'll play a good game, provided it's actually good and n not bogged down by a greedy company and a horrible storefront. Yeah, you talk about how much you buy from Steam and love it to bits, but your heart, your actual soul is with MS, I couldn't care at this point, because you talk about how you love both, but you clearly love one to the heavens and would love to see everyone else under it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
I think this would be a win-win for both sides. Obsidian could use a much bigger budget to make more KOTOR 2/New Vegas type experiences, and Microsoft will get another weapon for their first-party arsenal.

Generally speaking, acquisitions happen when its win-win.  Otherwise, one party wouldn't agree to the deal.  

Your points are good ones though, and, if this deal goes down, you're probably identified the main reasons why.  

Azuren said:
Azzanation said:

How hard to pretend what happens? That MS solely focuses on closing down studios that aren't even a threat to them?

Tell me, since your the one saying they will, why would MS go out of there way to purchase Obsidian just to close them down? Are Obsidian a major threat to MS and Xbox? You are talking about a company who gave Apple money to succeed.. there direct competitor. How does this make any sense, I am very curious in how you are thinking. Because they closed Lion Head? a Studio that was bleeding money?

Also as others have mention, Sony and Nintendo have also closed the doors on studios they acquired. MS is not EA, far from it.

Microsoft has a tendency to close studios. We're not talking rocket science, we're talking about observable phenomenon where MS will close down a studio or project at the slightest hint of not making enough profit.

And perhaps you should address whatever narrative you're attempting to assign me, because I never said Microsoft purchases studios simply to close them.

Because nobody else closes studios?? What makes MS closing Lionhead down any different from EA closing down Visceral or Sony closing down Zipper? 

Microsoft needs to purchase Rocket League and PUBG (make it better and perhaps free). GAAS is where a lot of young people are flocking to damn it.

Azuren said:

Microsoft has a tendency to close studios. We're not talking rocket science, we're talking about observable phenomenon where MS will close down a studio or project at the slightest hint of not making enough profit.

And perhaps you should address whatever narrative you're attempting to assign me, because I never said Microsoft purchases studios simply to close them.

You mean MS has the tendency of closing down studios if there struggling just like every other company would do the same?

Chazore said:

"assuming you have a Windows 10 PC", so yeah, if someone doesn't, then yes they will notice they are gone. I have a Win 1o license, but I am in no way using that horrendous storefront. 

They buy other existing IP's and properties to make themselves money and popularity, that's an absolute no brainer mate. They don't buy them for being angels or some charity case, hardly any massive company does something like that. Them buying them up means a lockdown on the IP and a lockdown to that userbase, assuming they will bow and comply with the obvious wish to use their storefront/system/OS and nothing more.

It actually does hamper their game, because it hampers where it's going and who it will be sold to. Otherwise, by the previous logic, everything, every game can be bought up by one company and not be deemed as "bad". I know you're more than willing to make an excuse as to why it'd be bad for someone else, but good for MS, which I'm not going to accept, because I truly believe that example given as being fundamentally flawed in a myriad of ways.

You talk of budgets, and yet I've seen plenty of games out there with inflated budgets, films even, that ended up bombing or not being anywhere as good as the money spent on them, so yeah, "bigger" doesn't always mean "better". Yeah, you couldn't care elss for them, which in likely return, they don't care for you, which is fine, because they can do what they want and support what they want, even if it means screwing you over in some way and I'm fine with that too, because I quite frankly couldn't care less what happens either. 

I'll play a good game, provided it's actually good and n not bogged down by a greedy company and a horrible storefront. Yeah, you talk about how much you buy from Steam and love it to bits, but your heart, your actual soul is with MS, I couldn't care at this point, because you talk about how you love both, but you clearly love one to the heavens and would love to see everyone else under it.

The bigger issue here isnt MS buting Obsidian but your hatred for MS in general. That fine, no one is asking for you to like MS, but many cried MS have no games and there out to address it.

Obsidian will be a welcome addition to the Win10 store which will attract gamers. You can boycott there games however that wont change there quality.

I enjoy MS and Steam and either way it goes i will have access to Obsidian games thats all that matters to me.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Azuren said:

Because it was still Microsoft. If you want to talk about individuals that's fine, but we're talking about Microsoft as a company. Who's in charge doesn't matter if they maintain a trend.

Well, since you seem to want to dig up the past, Sony has closed 7 studios over the years while MS has closed 9, that's not a big difference at all. If you look at the last 10 years, Sony has closed 6 while MS has only closed 4.

7 Studios in 24 years vs 9 in 17 years hmmm.

We also have to look at the quality of the closed studios.

Sony:

989- Sports and Twisted Metal similar to XSN

BigBig- Worthless

Guerilla Cambridge-  Medievil and small games

Contrail- JRPG and technically just absorbed and not defunct

Evolution- Racing

Incognito- After 989 closed they continued Twisted Metal

Liverpool- Racing

Zipper- Socom

MS:

Aces- Hard to say how important the closure of this studio is, but their games definitely have a rich legacy.

Digital Anvil- Worthless

Ensemble- Legendary game developer of RTS series Age of Empires and Age of Mythology

FASA- Mechassault and Mechwarrior, one of my favorite Xbox games

Hired Gun- Port / worthless

Lionhead- Fable, and Black & White. Quite a good studio.

MS Japan- A studio in Japan is pretty important imo, but they didn't do too well.

Press Play- not much pedigree.

XSN Sports- Similar to 989 with sports titles.

So Sony shuts down some racing studios, Twisted Metal devs, and some worthless studios as well as a decent developer or 2.

While in my view MS shuts down a legendary developer, and 2 or 3 good devs as well as some worthless developers and in much less time. And that is not mentioning the deal with Bungie and shutting down their creative freedom, as well as mediocre Rare (with which both were legendary developers in the past).

Chazore said:

Hope it isn't true. I quite like Obsidian, and I actually want to buy their games in the future, ones that aren't locked to a console store, let alone the crappy Windows 10 store.

Leave them be.

Obsidian have been mainly popular on pc. Are they likely to lose a lot of fans if they go exclusive to the Microsoft store?

Farsala said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, since you seem to want to dig up the past, Sony has closed 7 studios over the years while MS has closed 9, that's not a big difference at all. If you look at the last 10 years, Sony has closed 6 while MS has only closed 4.

7 Studios in 24 years vs 9 in 17 years hmmm.

We also have to look at the quality of the closed studios.

Sony:

989- Sports and Twisted Metal similar to XSN

BigBig- Worthless

Guerilla Cambridge-  Medievil and small games

Contrail- JRPG and technically just absorbed and not defunct

Evolution- Racing

Incognito- After 989 closed they continued Twisted Metal

Liverpool- Racing

Zipper- Socom

MS:

Aces- Hard to say how important the closure of this studio is, but their games definitely have a rich legacy.

Digital Anvil- Worthless

Ensemble- Legendary game developer of RTS series Age of Empires and Age of Mythology

FASA- Mechassault and Mechwarrior, one of my favorite Xbox games

Hired Gun- Port / worthless

Lionhead- Fable, and Black & White. Quite a good studio.

MS Japan- A studio in Japan is pretty important imo, but they didn't do too well.

Press Play- not much pedigree.

XSN Sports- Similar to 989 with sports titles.

So Sony shuts down some racing studios, Twisted Metal devs, and some worthless studios as well as a decent developer or 2.

While in my view MS shuts down a legendary developer, and 2 or 3 good devs as well as some worthless developers and in much less time. And that is not mentioning the deal with Bungie and shutting down their creative freedom, as well as mediocre Rare (with which both were legendary developers in the past).

It's more than just this.  Platinum games almost bit the bullet after they put in work for their Scalebound project only to have it cancelled. Luckily SE saved them with Nier Automata.  Speaking of FF, after Mistwalker tried their hand at being an exclusive Japanese developer with MS, the father of FF: Hironobu Sakaguchi has yet to make a single game on par with any of the amazing games he oversaw before this partnership.  After this stint he went to the Wii with The Last Story and now just silence.    I'd be surprised to see if Mistwalker was still around doing anything console related.

There's just not much hope with MS if you don't want to risk getting hurt in some way; Successful or not that successful of a developer.  It's like they want results now without giving many of them much of a chance.  They have more than enough money to throw down a hole.  That's where you gotta start with new IPs.

Lube Me Up

If they think it helps. Should be enough to lull in most people who complain that they're not doing enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Azzanation said:

The bigger issue here isnt MS buting Obsidian but your hatred for MS in general. That fine, no one is asking for you to like MS, but many cried MS have no games and there out to address it.

Obsidian will be a welcome addition to the Win10 store which will attract gamers. You can boycott there games however that wont change there quality.

I enjoy MS and Steam and either way it goes i will have access to Obsidian games thats all that matters to me.

DO you even read what you type?.

You're basically chalking this up to a childish "stop hating what I like and buy what I like!". No, seriously, look at it. The way you defend MS at literally every single turn is just eye rolling. 

It's like, no matter what they do, you'll be there to excuse their actions or make up reasons for why they did X or Y decisions. Out of everyone else here, I've yet to see you take a non always pro MS turn, and I know how you like to paint yourself as "neutral", but that doesn't work anymore.

Obsidian won't be a welcome addition to the Win 10 store, it'll just become another studio to completely avid, due to them being locked to a god awful store, that even a majority of PCGamer authors know is bad. It won't "attract" gamers, if anything it will do the opposite. I don't have yo "boycott", when I can simply support someone else who hasn't beeen wrangled by a mega corp for greedy purposes.

Yeah, you enjoy both, but you clearly love one so very much more than the other, to a polluted point where if given an inkling of a wish, you'd want us all to be with MS than Steam, I know you by now to see that.

What matters to me is for devs to be able to sell their games to more people out there, which doesn't involve locking them away to just one storefront and one OS and console. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"