By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

Azuren said:
Azzanation said:

How so, can you provide links to how they do this to there studios? Or are you referring to the struggling studios under them that in some cases require them to close the doors or reshuffle them? Much like every other company like Sony and Nintendo do all the time aswell.

I like how hard you pretend it's not a thing that happens.

Or maybe you can stop whining and bring your sources? It's not that hard.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Azuren said:

Or maybe you can stop whining and bring your sources? It's not that hard.

You're right, it's not that hard. But I'm on a phone at work, so I'll leave the ones of proof on the one who defies the generally accepted convention of "Microsoft buys studios and closes them".

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

shikamaru317 said:
Azuren said:

You're right, it's not that hard. But I'm on a phone at work, so I'll leave the ones of proof on the one who defies the generally accepted convention of "Microsoft buys studios and closes them".

"Generally accepted convention"? In the Phil Spencer era only 2 first party studios have been closed, Lionhead and Press Play. Lionhead was closed because they hadn't made a good game since Fable 3 and wasted $75m developing Fable Legends, which still wasn't anywhere near being ready to release even after $75m. The reason behind Press Play's closure hasn't been revealed as far as I know, but I'm guessing that their next game, Project Knoxville, was behind schedule and was going to cost MS more money than it was worth to finish.

By comparison Sony also closed 2 studios within the same time frame, Evolution Studios and Guerrilla Cambridge. 

Why hold old closures like Ensemble and FASA against the current Microsoft Studios, when those studios were closed under a different head? 

Because it was still Microsoft. If you want to talk about individuals that's fine, but we're talking about Microsoft as a company. Who's in charge doesn't matter if they maintain a trend.

Noooooooooooo!. I still want to see a Fallout: New Vegas 2!. If they get acquired, all hope for a future Fallout game with a good story dies right then and there.

Spike0503 said:
Noooooooooooo!. I still want to see a Fallout: New Vegas 2!. If they get acquired, all hope for a future Fallout game with a good story dies right then and there.

Bethesda already said that they are less likely to ever let another developer aside from themselves make another Fallout game again though, so the chances of Obsidian being able to make Fallout New Vegas 2 already seems pretty low, even if they didn't get acquired. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-is-now-less-likely-to-allow-an-outside-de/1100-6460518/

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, I agree. But the problem is somewhere else. Obsidian offers stuff in a niche, that is not big but has very engaged fans. Before Pillars there was basically nothing in that niche for years. A studio so significant going to a first-party is a problem, as the content gets locked into specific platforms. I wouldn't mind if Obsidian goes to Ubisoft, Sega or THQ Nordic.

The largest fanbase for isometric RPG's is on PC though, by far, and PC gamers would at least still be able to play it on Win 10 store, not ideal compared to Steam, but better than not being able to play it at all.

Also, there are still others making isometric RPG's besides Obsidian. inXile just released Torment: Tides of Numenera and has another in development, Wasteland 3. Larian just released Divinity: Original Sin 2 on PC last year, and the console release is later this month, they are very likely developing Divinity: Original Sin 3 right now. Diablo 4 is very likely in development at Blizzard. A new Torchlight just got announced, though it is shared world, not singleplayer.

Going by how non popular the Win 10 store is, I'd say it's better to not play it at all. Some of us would rather have the game be good and not hampered by MS or nothing at all.

Yes there are others out there, but Obsidian are notably well known for theirs, while others out there aren't as much, so I doubt we can use the "you won't notice they're gone, look at all the other fish out there!" example, that and it wouldn't stop MS from repeating the same tactic again for another CRPG studio, and another, and another.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Azuren said:

How hard to pretend what happens? That MS solely focuses on closing down studios that aren't even a threat to them?

Tell me, since your the one saying they will, why would MS go out of there way to purchase Obsidian just to close them down? Are Obsidian a major threat to MS and Xbox? You are talking about a company who gave Apple money to succeed.. there direct competitor. How does this make any sense, I am very curious in how you are thinking. Because they closed Lion Head? a Studio that was bleeding money?

Also as others have mention, Sony and Nintendo have also closed the doors on studios they acquired. MS is not EA, far from it.

Chazore said:

Going by how non popular the Win 10 store is, I'd say it's better to not play it at all. Some of us would rather have the game be good and not hampered by MS or nothing at all.

Yes there are others out there, but Obsidian are notably well known for theirs, while others out there aren't as much, so I doubt we can use the "you won't notice they're gone, look at all the other fish out there!" example, that and it wouldn't stop MS from repeating the same tactic again for another CRPG studio, and another, and another.

You wont notice there gone because you can still expect to be able to play there next game on PC assuming you own a Win10 PC. 

You also know why MS buys these companies right? to increase there popularity of there platforms, in this case Win10. If you don't like using Win10 that's fine, however that doesn't make Obsidians next game hampered or a failure, In fact it might be amazing now that they can obtain a bigger budget and support from a giant corporation. The only negative is to those who want to boycott platforms. In my eyes, I couldn't care less for those gamers.

I will play a good game regardless of the platform of choice if the game suits my preference. Just like Pillars, I brought it on Steam, and if there next game is just as good or similar than ill buy it on Win10. 

FloatingWaffles said:
Spike0503 said:

Bethesda already said that they are less likely to ever let another developer aside from themselves make another Fallout game again though, so the chances of Obsidian being able to make Fallout New Vegas 2 already seems pretty low, even if they didn't get acquired. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-is-now-less-likely-to-allow-an-outside-de/1100-6460518/

Well that sucks. Though at least Todd said it wasn't completely impossible for that to happen again. It could be just PR speak along with his compliment to New Vegas but I'd like to believe that he and Bethesda know how much of a cult hit New Vegas was. Hell, I'd be happy if at the very least Bethesda makes New Vegas 2 with Obsidian just providing assistance.

Azzanation said:

Azuren said:

How hard to pretend what happens? That MS solely focuses on closing down studios that aren't even a threat to them?

Tell me, since your the one saying they will, why would MS go out of there way to purchase Obsidian just to close them down? Are Obsidian a major threat to MS and Xbox? You are talking about a company who gave Apple money to succeed.. there direct competitor. How does this make any sense, I am very curious in how you are thinking. Because they closed Lion Head? a Studio that was bleeding money?

Also as others have mention, Sony and Nintendo have also closed the doors on studios they acquired. MS is not EA, far from it.

Microsoft has a tendency to close studios. We're not talking rocket science, we're talking about observable phenomenon where MS will close down a studio or project at the slightest hint of not making enough profit.

And perhaps you should address whatever narrative you're attempting to assign me, because I never said Microsoft purchases studios simply to close them.

Last edited by Azuren - on 12 August 2018