By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think smash ultimate is a port?

mZuzek said:
Nuvendil said:

That's highly unlikely due to the enormouse gulf in power.  The textures were certainpy all new and I know at least some of the meshes were.  I would have to double check, but I think all are new.  Except maybe kirby.

Well maybe we can blame 8-player Smash, then.

By the way, Fox is still stuck on this same model in Ultimate. Thankfully, the texture work this time was much better, so he actually looks like himself now and not this aberration (finally!).

Actually, Fox has a new model based on Zero.  Falco as well I believe.  

And yes, 8 player smash did limit the graphical leap from Brawl.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Nuvendil said:

Actually, Fox has a new model based on Zero.  Falco as well I believe.  

And yes, 8 player smash did limit the graphical leap from Brawl.

Actually...

Both look very much like the same models to me, it's just the textures that were overhauled to look more like their SFZ designs (though Falco still looks very similar to Smash 4).

Similar, but not the same.  Look closely at the geometry of the gloves, the collar, the boots, the headset, and the jacket.  It's a new mesh, just intentionally very similar.

Like I said, the *technical* improvements are limited with characters, the stages are what have seen a big leap.

mZuzek said:
Nuvendil said:

Similar, but not the same.  Look closely at the geometry of the gloves, the collar, the boots, the headset, and the jacket.  It's a new mesh, just intentionally very similar.

Like I said, the *technical* improvements are limited with characters, the stages are what have seen a big leap.

Hmm, possibly, yeah.

In any case, the characters are one of the things where graphics matter least in Smash, honestly. Sure it's cool that they look better, but they're so small during gameplay you barely notice any details, mostly the only time when it's ever a nuisance is on the victory screens (which is why I specifically mentioned Mario and Fox, as they both have some really ugly victory screens in Smash 4 imo). And sure, in Ultimate the characters will be a little more noticeable because they're implementing stuff like the cutscene finish where we can see the fighters more up close, so it's good that they're being improved too, but it's crazy to consider this more important than the stages. After 3 games of copy-pasted old stages with crappy graphics, I thought we'd never see the day when Nintendo bothered to remake them, but well, here we are.

Exactly.  Everyone is so focused on comparing characters that they're missing the bigger picture.  The characters only have minute details added for the most part (except Ganondorf, Zelda, Link, and other characters with redesigns).  But the stages are a huge step up and as a result the whole game looks much better AND far more consistent.

Looks like a full new game to me. The promise to include every previous Smasher in the game is unique enough as is, but it also has some of the most desired Nintendo characters ever (K.Rool and Ridley).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Anyone who still thinks this is a port at this point is truly out of their mind

Around the Network

Why are you even trying to start this again at this point?

You people who seem desparate for it to be a new game moaned the last time I tried to add anything, and you all just wanted to drop it. Now that you feel you have more ammunition and validation suddenly it's a topic again.

The game looks really good, I'm looking foward to it. I still don't really see it as a new game and I don't care if others see it as a new game. I only ever got involved in this because I arrogantly assumed everyone else thought this was just Smash 4.5, came back to do an 'I told you so' but was shocked to find it was actually a whole debate.
I realised how different standards and perceptions were on this topic so I've just decided to move on.

After seeing everything they've added to the game I wouldn't call anyone else 'stupid' or the like for viewing it as a new game, I think there's a fair argument either way, it's just no how I see it.

It doesn't matter as long as Sakurai insists that 3DS and Wii U are entirely seperate games.

Smash Ultimate is likely to have twice the number of stages of the Wii U version, and UNLIKE the Wii U version, all returning stages have been completely rebuilt with brand new HD assets (aside from the N64 stages, which are probably taken straight from their Wii U incarnations). That means that around 68 stages (pending unannounced ones) have either been completely rebuilt with new assets or are brand new.

In addition to that, 17 characters are sporting brand new assets, including new characters, characters that missed Smash 4, and characters redesigned since Smash 4. And that’s ignoring characters with slight design tweets, like Mario.

Then there’s the new items, new Pokemon, new assist trophies...and whatever the heck those two boss stages with Dracula and Rathalos are supposed to be. As things are, it very much looks and feels like a new game that’s been updated for the Switch era of Nintendo. And not to mention there’s a whole segment of the game’s main menu that we don’t even know about yet.

So yeah...I’d say it most definitely qualifies as a sequel. Just one that’s put a lot of resources into honoring the past. And heck, if this game also ends up having some sort of substantial single-player campaign, which Smash 4 lacked...just icing on top imo.

After seeing some of the stage remasters, I say not anymore. I was one of them thinking it was a Port with all DLC etc much like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
That Smash Metre they added blew my mind.

It could very well NOT be a port. But then again, considering the fact that they are almost certainly just building on the engine and assets (albeit shinier) that they made for the Wii U game, it could also very easily been SEEN as a "port".

It ultimately doesn't matter. What DOES matter, is whether or not that last mode is going to be an actual goddamn story/adventure mode, or not.