By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler vs Xenoblade 2

Which is better?

Octopath Traveler 14 32.56%

Xenoblade 2 29 67.44%

Total:43
TruckOSaurus said:
Octopath Traveller, hooked me from the start while I'm not feeling the battle system of Xenoblade 2 after a few hours in but reading this thread it seems I should give it another chance.

You don't have access to the full battle system, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 eases you into it, unlocking various elements over the course of 7 chapters, with most of it coming in after the first 4. Although New Game + grants full access.

I agree though, the early game on playthrough 1 is very slow and overly handholdy. But it's pretty much the opposite of Octopath Traveler - one game (Octopath) starts off interesting and wears out, the other game (Xenoblade) starts out slow and then ramps up to be phenomenal.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Xenoblade 2 doesn't have random encounters, so it is automatically better.

Xenoblade 2 by a country mile. OT tries some interesting new things, but I don't understand the worship around it. It's very pretty, for the art style it is, I'll give it that. It has a good battle system too. But the character interactions are practically nonexistent, the world wasn't much to get excited about, and the storytelling was okay at best. Xenoblade had solid but not great gameplay, not sure which game I'd give the better grade on battle system, but it had none of the other problems that OT had. Also, save for a few cringy characters, I liked Xenoblade's voice acting better.

TruckOSaurus said:
Octopath Traveller, hooked me from the start while I'm not feeling the battle system of Xenoblade 2 after a few hours in but reading this thread it seems I should give it another chance.

Yeah XB2's combat starts off rubbish, but it gets better over time as new mechanics are introduced.

MasonADC said:
Xenoblade 2 doesn't have random encounters, so it is automatically better.

I like you. Ditto for turn-based combat.

Unfortunately I was let down by both. If I could get xenoblade, but with octopaths battle system id be pretty happy. Ill give it xenoblade though. On the basis of value. After 5 completed stories I think I can say octopath is not a 60$ game.