By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 30) Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - July 23-29, 2018

KLAMarine said:
Octopus Traveler!?

Severely understocked. Reports are that the game is still not available at most stores in Japan.



Around the Network
think-man said:
How much longer until the Switch outsells the PS4 in Japan?

Probably early next year.

LTD

PS4-6.95m

NSW-4.72m

 

YTD

PS4-1.06m

NSW-1.41m

At its current baseline of 18-20k along with no major releases and the fact that PS4 doesnt usually get a big holiday boost, it will likely end the year at ~1.6 million putting LTD around ~7.5 million.

 

Switch sales have been quite stable in the 40-50k range all year and will likely remain that way through Oct. Last year Switch sold ~1.3 million in Nov+Dec, this year should be over 1.7 million which would put it at 3.7 million for the year and ~7 million LTD.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

OTBWY said:
KLAMarine said:
Octopus Traveler!?

Severely understocked. Reports are that the game is still not available at most stores in Japan.

Restock is coming this month, but even then, SE mentionned it wouldn't be a big one. They're truly banking on the digital ratio there ... (which I don't like)



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

OTBWY said:
KLAMarine said:
Octopus Traveler!?

Severely understocked. Reports are that the game is still not available at most stores in Japan.

 

Mar1217 said:
OTBWY said:

Severely understocked. Reports are that the game is still not available at most stores in Japan.

Restock is coming this month, but even then, SE mentionned it wouldn't be a big one. They're truly banking on the digital ratio there ... (which I don't like)

 

Is 'Octopus Traveler' the name of 'Octopath Traveler' in Japan?



Marth said:

Decided to make an update of this graph. Its the YTD volume comparison. Means by week X the console/handheld has sold that much percent compared to last year.

As you can see PS4 and Switch losing out the past few weeks and getting closer to that 100%
3DS took a big hit because it had a massive week last year while Vita is just chugging along as always this year with a small uptrend.
Xbox is still a bit of a weird case because the low sales volume makes the graph jump way more. But overall it stabilizes at a much better performance compared to 2017 (still bad but hey not as bad as last year).
Also congratz Xbox One for already hitting 10k this year. Last YTD is only at 5,1K

I also have a Software comparison graph in the works for certain Switch titles.

Great work

PS4 should slowly drop below last year's numbers around Obon week, while the Switch gets very close but should stay above until Super Mario Party starts enlarging the gap again.



Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Well Switch domination as usual.

The MonHun bundle had no effect. No doubt Capcom is dissapointed. Speaking of Capcom. Looks like their sabotage of Megaman on Switch has worked.

29K vs 20K (and another 3K sku not charting) is hardly "worked out". In fact, Switch overperformed.



KLAMarine said:
OTBWY said:

Severely understocked. Reports are that the game is still not available at most stores in Japan.

 

Mar1217 said:

Restock is coming this month, but even then, SE mentionned it wouldn't be a big one. They're truly banking on the digital ratio there ... (which I don't like)

 

Is 'Octopus Traveler' the name of 'Octopath Traveler' in Japan?

No its just translation programs being silly.

In kanji its オクトパストラベラー which romanized results in Okutopasutoraberā and Okutopasu gets interpreted as Octopus because its the closest thing. The japanese version even uses the english Octopath Traveller logo.



Marth said:
KLAMarine said:

 

 

Is 'Octopus Traveler' the name of 'Octopath Traveler' in Japan?

No its just translation programs being silly.

In kanji its オクトパストラベラー which romanized results in Okutopasutoraberā and Okutopasu gets interpreted as Octopus because its the closest thing. The japanese version even uses the english Octopath Traveller logo.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!



zorg1000 said:
think-man said:
How much longer until the Switch outsells the PS4 in Japan?

Probably early next year.

LTD

PS4-6.95m

NSW-4.72m

 

YTD

PS4-1.06m

NSW-1.41m

At its current baseline of 18-20k along with no major releases and the fact that PS4 doesnt usually get a big holiday boost, it will likely end the year at ~1.6 million putting LTD around ~7.5 million.

 

Switch sales have been quite stable in the 40-50k range all year and will likely remain that way through Oct. Last year Switch sold ~1.3 million in Nov+Dec, this year should be over 1.7 million which would put it at 3.7 million for the year and ~7 million LTD.

Major release early next year being Kingdom Hearts 3. But that will only delay the inevitable by a week or two. 



I guess we now know the full extent of a home console Monster Hunter game in Japan.
The fact that the PS4 was actually down was quite disappointing.

Regardless, we should start seeing considerable increases for both hardware and software for all systems as Obon week draws nearer.