By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2018 NPD: PS4 #1 console, Mario Tennis Aces #1 software

Megiddo said:
Megiddo said:
So that's what, February, March, April, May, and June that PS4 has been on top now? Doesn't look like the streak will continue for July though.

Taking this back since it hasn't been confirmed that PS4 sold more units than X1/Switch yet. It seems all the percentages in the NPD report were based on money sales rather than units which makes it pretty much impossible to determine which console (other than the NES Classic) sold the most units. So until there is leaked info or Matt voluntarily provides more, I'd say June is a wash.

The only one we can get a good idea of unit sales is Switch because there is only a single price point and its the exact same as last year.

PS4/XBO get harder to determine since they have different priced versions along with various discounts.

Hopefully MagicPork pulls through and leaks the numbers again.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
JSG87 said:
If we go by these numbers and the NPD predicting tool we would get

PS4 354,400
NSW 322,500
XBOX 202,080

I don't think this is correct though if xbox sold almost double what it did last year.

I think that was revenue not units sold though.

Yeah,Mat confirmed it was by revenue.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Soundwave said:
Mid-Gen refreshes have been a huge success IMO. XBox One being double this year and on track for its best year ever is mainly due to XBox One X.

PS4 not seeing the usual decline you would expect to see in a system in year 5 IMO also points to PS4 Pro helping offset usual hardware fatigue.

People who said this idea wouldn't work, would splinter the market, wouldn't sell, etc. were wrong.

Ofcourse xbox one X helped, but its not mainly because of it. Matt mentioned that fortnite is the biggest reason xbox one is selling double and also slightly helping ps4(probably ps4 would have had bigger drop this year without it). I dont know how he knows this, but he said it :P.

Crazy to see MLB The show 18 still going strong and Detroit top 10 :o. State of decay 2 had pretty massive drop.

RoboTin said:
Soundwave said:
Mid-Gen refreshes have been a huge success IMO. XBox One being double this year and on track for its best year ever is mainly due to XBox One X.

PS4 not seeing the usual decline you would expect to see in a system in year 5 IMO also points to PS4 Pro helping offset usual hardware fatigue.

People who said this idea wouldn't work, would splinter the market, wouldn't sell, etc. were wrong.

Ofcourse xbox one X helped, but its not mainly because of it. Matt mentioned that fortnite is the biggest reason xbox one is selling double and also slightly helping ps4(probably ps4 would have had bigger drop this year without it). I dont know how he knows this, but he said it :P.

Crazy to see MLB The show 18 still going strong and Detroit top 10 :o. State of decay 2 had pretty massive drop.

There's no fucking chance XB1 X isn't having a large impact on hardware sales, revenue doesn't magically double, Fortnite is on every system.  Mat also clarified the Fornite hypothesis is more conjecture on his part than anything else. 

Soundwave said:
RoboTin said:

There's no fucking chance XB1 X isn't having a large impact on hardware sales, revenue doesn't magically double, Fortnite is on every system. 

Well the revenue metric does skew things.  The X is 500 vs the S at 300 (plus discounts).  Still a healthy boost though.

I think the Pro and X have done well.  Though I think the X benefits greatly from Microsofts  frankly tireless efforts to improve the public image of Xbox.  Will be interesting to see if the Xbone can finally crack the 10mil mark worldwide this year.  Iirc, it has never crossed that mark.

Around the Network

June was a very impressive month for switch, i guess E3, gamestop promotion, and fortnite gave it a nice boost. ps4 is also very impressive, last year it sold around 220k, don't know what's going on this year in june and why hardware is so much higher, industry seems to be thriving.

quickrick said:
June was a very impressive month for switch, i guess E3, gamestop promotion, and fortnite gave it a nice boost. ps4 is also very impressive, last year it sold around 220k, don't know what's going on this year in june and why hardware is so much higher, industry seems to be thriving.

Fortnite is likely helping across the board. Mid-gen refreshes are helping PS4 and XBox. God Of War is helping PS4. More inventory is helping Switch and an older buyer base is why you are seeing sky high Switch software sales (more disposable income than kids).

Mat said something interesting about Fortnite on PS4:

'So, given current trends, slate, pricing, marketing and the Days of Play promotions that were happening around E3, I was expecting a bit more growth on PS4 than we saw. There are massive challenges with trying to determine the impact of an individual causal factor like Fortnite on the sales curve that covers a territory the size of the US, particularly when looking at monthly data, but I've been doing this for a long time, have built countless models, and can run the math. And, given all those factors when comparing to performance of Xbox One and Switch, I'm seeing the impact of Fortnite being much more meaningful on the sales of Xbox One and Switch than I am on PS4.

Could be lots of reasons for this. PS4 has had a significant number of big releases in recent months that would make Fortnite less meaningful overall by rising the base demand curve. I may not be properly gauging just how strong June was for PS4 last year (since we're looking at growth and all... maybe I'm not properly taking into account base and incremental sales of June a year ago which is throwing off my expectations now). Perhaps the PS4 has been doing so well for so long that even higher growth than we're seeing is a completely unreasonable expectation.

The data certainly isn't perfect (monthly at a total territory level is incredibly difficult to do this kind of work with and carries a massive range of error). But people asked for my take given what I see so I gave it. People can disagree, because the data is certainly nowhere near conclusive.

As for cross-play, well, I don't think cross-play has anything to do with performance at all. I do think the account locking thing is an issue, particularly when it comes to Fortnite, where people want to play with whatever items they've acquired wherever they wish to play. If someone wishes to play Fortnite on Mobile, PC and/or Console, and doesn't really care about any other games, then the account locking issue on PS4 could be a purchase barrier. It's one of the reasons why I think we've seen such big boosts to Xbox One this year, and why Switch did so well in June. But if people disagree my feelings certainly won't be hurt.'

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

quickrick said:

I thought PS4 did like 380k last year, not 220k.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

quickrick said:

The God of War effect + hype for Spider-Man and Last of Us Part 2 from E3 I think are the key reasons why PS4 took June.