By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch passes 19 Million Units Sold

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/nintendo_has_sold_19_67_million_switch_consoles_to_date

"Nintendo has announced its financial results for the first quarter of the current fiscal year, which covers the period from April through to June 2018. In the report, the company has given sales-to-date figures for its current hardware, as well as data specific to the quarter.

As you might imagine, Switch is doing incredibly well, with 19.67 million units sold since launch early last year. In terms of software, 86.93 Switch games have been sold since day one.

During the first quarter of this financial year, games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (1.40 million units), Mario Tennis Aces (1.38 million units) and Nintendo Labo (1.39 million units for both packs) performed well. 

Switch hardware sales hit 1.88 million units for this quarter (a 4.4 percent drop on a year-on-year basis), while Switch software hit 17.96 million units (a 120.8 percent increase year-on-year)."

So I guess vgchartz had better update their numbers. I'm not sure if July sales are included in Nintendolife's report, but if they aren't then that means Switch has definitely sold over 20 million units. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
So 1.6m on shelves according to VGC? Sounds a bit high so it's probably undertracked a bit here.

Maybe just by a little. Nintendo stated that "Nintendo Switch, hardware sales in every region have been trending upwards since the video game expo, E3, was held in the US in June" yet VGChartz sort of shows Switch sales trending downwards for the weeks since E3.

Ka-pi96 said:
So 1.6m on shelves according to VGC? Sounds a bit high so it's probably undertracked a bit here.

1.3m on shelves/in transit. Seems fine to me, there's really no way to know for sure. No adjustments need to be made based on this information.

just bookmarking for the insanity

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

The drop isn't surprising, unless there is anything significant coming out this year aside from smash.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said: 

So I guess vgchartz had better update their numbers. I'm not sure if July sales are included in Nintendolife's report, but if they aren't then that means Switch has definitely sold over 20 million units. 

For the love of god, when will you understand that  quarterly financial results are ALWAYS SHIPPED, NOT SOLD.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Cerebralbore101 said: 

For the love of god, when will you understand that  quarterly financial results are ALWAYS SHIPPED, NOT SOLD.

First time I've ever said anything having to do with it. And Nintendolife said sales to date figures. Not shipped to date. So if anything blame them, not me. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 31 July 2018

Cerebralbore101 said:
zorg1000 said:

First time I've ever said anything having to do with it. And Nintendolife said sales to date figures. Not shipped to date. So if anything blame them, not me. 

I know, its just that every single quarter someone says its sell through rather than shipped which usually causes a whole bunch of confusion.

And its sales to date for Nintendo since shipped=sold to the console manufacturer.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I know, its just that every single quarter someone says its sell through rather than shipped which usually causes a whole bunch of confusion.

And its sales to date for Nintendo since shipped=sold to the console manufacturer.

Shipped = Sold to the console manufacturer? Isn't Nintendo the console manufacturer? Not sure what you mean by that then. 

These sales would be to the end of June, since that is when the quarter ends.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.