By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Results: Switch sales top 19.67m, Mario Tennis 1.38m, DK TF 1.4m, more

So Japan is making up a large percentage of the Switch sales this year, momentum outside Japan has been kinda muted

Preston Scott

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Nautilus said:

There is Super Mario Party, and depending on how they market it, it might be a big title, in terms of pushing software.

The game itself will sell well, but it's not a big hardware mover.

I meant hardware, my bad.I already fixed it.

But who knows?Mario Party on its hayday used to sell millions upon millions of units.So if a game like that cant move the needle, then Nintendo dosent have alot of killer apps on its pocket.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

PAOerfulone said:
Nautilus said:
Overall, a great result for Nintendo.

Honestly, the biggest surprise for me there is Donkey Kong.In just one month and a half, it almost managed to sell what the original version did in its whoile life!Just goes to show how much the Wii U was holding back its software potential.For the top 7 selling softwares on the list, there is not much to say, given that it was expected for them to keep selling well.Its still kind of impressive that ARMS and 1-2 Switch are still selling this well, but they have been constantly selling good numbers.

My boi Xenoblade is at 1.42 and I couldnt be happier!I personally expected it to be at 1.45, but its close enough.The sad thing is that its very likely that XC 2 will be throw out of the top 10 next quarter, due to the release of Mario Party and the constant growth of the other games being higher than of Xenoblade, but what can you do?Already had a stellar performance, so I wont complain.Mario Tennis Aces did extremely well!Good lord, in less than 2 weeks, it sold 1.38 million units, thats mighty impressive.If it keeps up like that, it will be Camelot best selling game, easily.Hopefully that gives them more confidence and makes Nintendo invest in them more, so that they can tackle more projects at once and finally make a goddamn new Golden Sun game!

Hardware sales are good.Nothing to write home about, but nowhere near bad either.Labo is having legs as Nintendo expected, and its also at a respectable number.NES classic sold an extra 1.26(!!!) million this quarter alone.Seriously, thlose classic editions are beasts on their own.

Nintendo keeps doing great.

Super Mario Party doesn't come out until October 5th, so it'll just miss the September 30th update. They'll likely do an update for that game during their Outline & Presentation.

Oh yeah!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

The game itself will sell well, but it's not a big hardware mover.

But who knows?Mario Party on its hayday used to sell millions upon millions of units.So if a game like that cant move the needle, then Nintendo dosent have alot of killer apps on its pocket.

They still have quite a few guns left to fire; Animal Crossing, traditional Pokemon, 2D Mario, pay off Capcom for an exclusive Monster Hunter, etc.

I am happy with this!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Personally, I would consider the Switch to be a great success, not so much for how well the system itself has been selling, but for just how much greater it has done in the software department.
At the rate that their games are selling and if they continue to show fine leggage, the Switch is going to be the home of a lot of "Best Selling ______ game in the series/of all time"
- 3D Mario
- Zelda
- Splatoon
- Mario Tennis
- Xenoblade... and the Xeno series as a whole.
- Kirby
And potentially Smash Bros, Bayonetta, Pikmin, and Metroid Prime.

And that's before going into all the 3rd party titles, both Western and Japanese that have been selling well.
The Switch version of FIFA 18 is on its way to being the best selling FIFA game on a Nintendo system.
Skyrim has been a success.
The overwhelming success of Octopath Traveler led Square Enix to deciding to have that entire team devoted to making Switch titles.
Super Bomberman R was one of the most, if not THE best selling Bomberman game. And Capcom recently announced they're making a Monster Hunter game from scratch for the Switch. Plus there's Mega Man 11.

And then there's indies.
There's no shortage of software, and it would seem a lot of it is selling.

fedfed said:
Barkley said:

I'm upset that 1-2-switch is still selling, at this rate it's going to be in the top 10 first party sales FOREVER

Don't Worry.

Smash

The 2 pokemon games we will see on Switch (at least)

Animal Crossing

Luigi mansion

will make sure 1-2 will not be in the top ten by the end of it.

Unless they start bundling it with every Switch once its sales drop dead on its own. Then the possibilities for 1-2 Switch are endless. lol

1doesnotsimply

curl-6 said:
Nautilus said:

They still have quite a few guns left to fire; Animal Crossing, traditional Pokemon, 2D Mario, pay off Capcom for an exclusive Monster Hunter, etc.

Yes, but you still cut more than half that list if you are gonna nitpick what you define as an killer app.It wouldnt be a problem given this is just fun speculation if you didnt complain about Nintendo "mishandling" software releases.I mean, by your definition of killer apps, you could probably count in one hand the number of IPs that Nintendo has left that could be considered as such and you expect them to have one every 3 or 4 months?

Certainly there are titles, considered to be killer apps,that move more and some that move less, but if Super Mario Party is a return to form, and considering its past numbers, that is one potential hardware mover if I ever saw one.

curl-6 said:
Nautilus said:

I think Capcom might be way ahead of you on that one.
https://www.destructoid.com/monster-hunter-world-is-skipping-switch-but-it-sounds-like-capcom-has-plans-to-make-up-for-it-509959.phtml

Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, but you still cut more than half that list if you are gonna nitpick what you define as an killer app.It wouldnt be a problem given this is just fun speculation if you didnt complain about Nintendo "mishandling" software releases.I mean, by your definition of killer apps, you could probably count in one hand the number of IPs that Nintendo has left that could be considered as such and you expect them to have one every 3 or 4 months?

Certainly there are titles, considered to be killer apps,that move more and some that move less, but if Super Mario Party is a return to form, and considering its past numbers, that is one potential hardware mover if I ever saw one.

Just having Animal Crossing in the first half of this year and having Smash in September alongside the online service would've made a big difference, then you could've had three killer apps this year spaced a few months apart just like last year.

20 million would've been a breeze then.