By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EVO 2018 Thread (Aug 3rd-Aug 5th)

Hiku said:
V-r0cK said:

lol that picture xD

Side switching mid match shouldn't be allow or else everybody would want to switch sides all the time after every round etc. Chances are everybody that's played and trained were sitting on the left side their whole life so everybody would be wanting the left side but somebody has to be on the right side.  Can you imagine every single round a player is asking an Evo member to flip a coin just to try and get the left side.  Choosing sides should've been determined from the beginning before the match even started.  Next time all these tournaments should just have both players have their own screen facing back to back or front to front then its all equal. 

Also during the semi finals, Goi and SonicFox faced eachother and SonicFox had the left side which got him into the grand final, so he should've man-up and its only fair now that Goi get the left side since their last encounter SonicFox did.  SonicFox just seemed like a pussy cause he got wrecked the initial 3 matches of the finals.

The rule is that the coin flip only happens before a set begins, if the players can't agree on who gets which side. After a match, the loser gets to switch sides if he/she wants and the winner can't contest it.
The coin flip only happened here because GO1 beat SonicFox and knocked him down to the losers bracket (reset the bracket) so it was treated as a new set.
In other words, this was the only time in the tournament where a coin flip could occur "mid-match". Usually the side switch can't be contested mid-match, and could be performed more swiftly.
Maybe change the rule so that if a side switch request happens after a Grand Final reset, it can't be contested. But I still think it's important to allow people to chose the side they play on. They don't need to switch chairs though.

Ah gotcha.  Still the whole thing just took too long, and again should've been decided before the match.  Like they would discuss that if Goi gets off the loser bracket then SonicFox will want the left side so switch sides right after, or do that coin flip before the whole match start.  This way both players know exactly what to expect next and can still remain focused.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
V-r0cK said:

Ah gotcha.  Still the whole thing just took too long, and again should've been decided before the match.  Like they would discuss that if Goi gets off the loser bracket then SonicFox will want the left side so switch sides right after, or do that coin flip before the whole match start.  This way both players know exactly what to expect next and can still remain focused.

Yeah, it should have been done much quicker. Deciding a coinflip beforehand would help. Tekken 7 has a very interesting system that other fighting games could use. It allows both players to appear on the side of their choice on their screen. But in a tournament setting this would require two monitors per station, and while that is some times done on stage, they probably can't have 2 monitors for every station in pools.

I wondered about that too, like why cant they just have two monitors?  Is it that difficult or budget wise? Or they want to give the appeal of how its like at home or at the arcade, but then again at home people can play online and arcades can have front to front monitors like they do in a lot of Japanese arcades.

That Tekken system sounds really brilliant and should be implemented in all fighting games.

Hiku said:
V-r0cK said:

I wondered about that too, like why cant they just have two monitors?  Is it that difficult or budget wise? Or they want to give the appeal of how its like at home or at the arcade, but then again at home people can play online and arcades can have front to front monitors like they do in a lot of Japanese arcades.

That Tekken system sounds really brilliant and should be implemented in all fighting games.

I suppose some tourneys like CEO and EVO could do it, but at the moment I think this system requires two different consoles as well. So doing this would mean higher costs, as they'd need twice as many monitors and consoles, and more space (so they may need a larger venue in a worst case scenario) and then there's the heat that comes from these consoles/monitors, which you may want to reduce at conventions packed with a lot of people. (There was still no free water at this EVO btw, which people complained about.) So I guess they'll have to weigh that against how often people would want to switch sides, or how much of an inconvenience it is to do it the normal way.

Btw at least people are having some fun with this.

lollll thats funny.  Ya I guess it would be costly and that's not cool that they don't offer free water at an event this big.  Maybe provide two monitors and system only at the grand final? 

The "serious and grown-up" DOA6 got a walloping 142 views on Twitch. 😂😂😂😂😂

I guess e-sports isn't that big cash cow Shimbori thought it would be.

Meanwhile, SC6 got 25k+ views and the whole chat was enamored with Ivy in all her busty, half-naked glory.

And they say the FGC doesn't like fanservice. 😂

Last edited by KManX89 - on 06 August 2018