By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EVO 2018 Thread (Aug 3rd-Aug 5th)

Problem X in winner's final, well done to him I don't think anyone outside of Ryan Hart has made it that far in top 8 from here in the UK.

Around the Network

And Problem X is now in Grand Finals.

Ugh, a bracket reset was hoping Problem-X was going to take it, so I can finally watch Attack on Titan.

Good grand finals for Street Fighter, but man it felt like Street Fighter just would not end at times.

Anyways I had a lot of fun watching Evo, this year. Was the most I have ever watched it and really makes me want to start playing more fighting games and try to get better at them.

Problem X is SFV's third Evo champion, second Evo champion from UK since Ryan Hart.

Around the Network

Also have to add it for the sake of adding it the WC didn't come home but SFV Evo certainly found a new one for the year.

I watched the Tekken final, some good stuff. I just wish that the format was different. Playing only 1 character is boring. They should play a 4 v 4 Random Team Battle. Proove they can play all characters. :P

Hmm, pie.

animegaming said:

Goi should of brought a character back, like what did he think he could accomplish with a health restore?

Each time he used the Dragon Balls his health was pretty low so full health restore was a pretty good choice seeing as bringing a character back only gives like 25% health back. So the choice really was would he rather have 2 characters at 25% health or one character at full health.  25% of a character's health can easily be wiped off by a single combo.

I thought SonicFox was a pussy.  He got destroyed hard 3 matches in a row and then he asked the officials to switch sides.  Goi was on a roll and that cool down period trying to switch sides just killed his momentum.  SonicFox is definitely skilled and may/may not have deserved to win, but that was a dick move he pulled. Lost respect. 

(And Evo officials shouldn't even allow it or else every other player in every single match in every game can call for that then too.)

Hiku said:
V-r0cK said:

Each time he used the Dragon Balls his health was pretty low so full health restore was a pretty good choice seeing as bringing a character back only gives like 25% health back. So the choice really was would he rather have 2 characters at 25% health or one character at full health.  25% of a character's health can easily be wiped off by a single combo.

I thought SonicFox was a pussy.  He got destroyed hard 3 matches in a row and then he asked the officials to switch sides.  Goi was on a roll and that cool down period trying to switch sides just killed his momentum.  SonicFox is definitely skilled and may/may not have deserved to win, but that was a dick move he pulled. Lost respect. 

(And Evo officials shouldn't even allow it or else every other player in every single match in every game can call for that then too.)

That moment when you ask for a 5 minute side switch.

Side switching should definitely be allowed though. Some players perform certain moves more consistently on one side than the other. In Tekkken for example people commonly describe Electric Wind Godfist to be more consistently executed on one side, (on an arcade stick) because of the nature of how you move your wrist more comfortably inwards, rather than outwards.

But switching sides should be done quickly. No different from how the losing player is allowed to go to the character select screen to reflect for a minute or so.

lol that picture xD

Side switching mid match shouldn't be allow or else everybody would want to switch sides all the time after every round etc. Chances are everybody that's played and trained were sitting on the left side their whole life so everybody would be wanting the left side but somebody has to be on the right side.  Can you imagine every single round a player is asking an Evo member to flip a coin just to try and get the left side.  Choosing sides should've been determined from the beginning before the match even started.  Next time all these tournaments should just have both players have their own screen facing back to back or front to front then its all equal. 

Also during the semi finals, Goi and SonicFox faced eachother and SonicFox had the left side which got him into the grand final, so he should've man-up and its only fair now that Goi get the left side since their last encounter SonicFox did.  SonicFox just seemed like a pussy cause he got wrecked the initial 3 matches of the finals.

V-r0cK said:
Hiku said:

That moment when you ask for a 5 minute side switch.

Side switching should definitely be allowed though. Some players perform certain moves more consistently on one side than the other. In Tekkken for example people commonly describe Electric Wind Godfist to be more consistently executed on one side, (on an arcade stick) because of the nature of how you move your wrist more comfortably inwards, rather than outwards.

But switching sides should be done quickly. No different from how the losing player is allowed to go to the character select screen to reflect for a minute or so.

lol that picture xD

Side switching mid match shouldn't be allow or else everybody would want to switch sides all the time after every round etc. Chances are everybody that's played and trained were sitting on the left side their whole life so everybody would be wanting the left side but somebody has to be on the right side.  Can you imagine every single round a player is asking an Evo member to flip a coin just to try and get the left side.  Choosing sides should've been determined from the beginning before the match even started.  Next time all these tournaments should just have both players have their own screen facing back to back or front to front then its all equal. 

Also during the semi finals, Goi and SonicFox faced eachother and SonicFox had the left side which got him into the grand final, so he should've man-up and its only fair now that Goi get the left side since their last encounter SonicFox did.  SonicFox just seemed like a pussy cause he got wrecked the initial 3 matches of the finals.

Except that it wasn't mid-match it was after the reset before the next match.  Which as we saw was well within the rules.  Smart play on Fox's part to get the momentum down for Goichi.