By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump Bans CNN Corespondant from Open Press Event

LiquorandGunFun said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Don't know, but I hope John Oliver sees this.

If America were a TRUE democracy Trump would've been removed from office by now.

Get educated. The United States of America is a Republic. Not a democracy.

CNN is just comedy central. They have No credibility.

Edit: John oliver is just a poor mans austin powers, dog shit has more credibility.

it's both actually. The alternative would be (if it's a Republic) to also be a dictatorship - and no voting at all.

I see that so often from Americans, probably unaware that one is a Form of government (Republic or Monarchy) and the other a type of government (democracy or dictatorship), and that there's always one out of each category

Around the Network

Personally I do not mind this. But it should be Acosta who gets kicked out, not this woman.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Pemalite said:
massimus said:

CNN is free to make stories of all of the other journalists in the meeting. They can take photos from outside the doors and then cry about for a week lmao.

Attending a whitehouse conference doesn’t have anything to do with freedom of the press as law and banning an organization from meetings doesn’t make the country any less free. What law did Trump break by doing this? He doesn’t have to have press meetings at all if he doesn’t want to. Your claim is out there is all I’m saying. 

I didn't actually say any laws were actually broken... I am not that ignorant to assume to be an expert on American law as I don't even live in that particular country.

Just that Freedom of the Press tends to be a "pillar" in all free countries where all news organizations get the same treatment, whether you like their perspective or not, ergo limiting the free press isn't a good thing. - Trumps tantrum isn't really doing him any favors to that end.

Freedom of the Press just means they can’t get locked up (or worse in Putin’s case) for political speech and commentary. It has nothing to do with attending White House press conferences. 

Pemalite said:

I didn't actually say any laws were actually broken... I am not that ignorant to assume to be an expert on American law as I don't even live in that particular country.

Just that Freedom of the Press tends to be a "pillar" in all free countries where all news organizations get the same treatment, whether you like their perspective or not, ergo limiting the free press isn't a good thing. - Trumps tantrum isn't really doing him any favors to that end.

Greetings Pemalite, I haven't posted in a while but here I go ...

"Freedom of the Press" means that the press has the right to publish whatever material they seek without government persecution in the vast majority of the cases but it's different from what you're thinking as "Freedom of Attendance for Press Conferences" where the office holder of an executive branch would be required to hold open press briefings without limit but to my knowledge there is no such provision in both the US constitution or US common law so ergo massimus has a point that Trump is not obligated to open his press briefings to any journalist ...

Good. The press is the number 1 threat to democracy after all.

Though I don't see what benefit there is banning a fake news reporter from a press conference when they lie about everything anyway, right?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

Greetings Pemalite, I haven't posted in a while but here I go ...

"Freedom of the Press" means that the press has the right to publish whatever material they seek without government persecution in the vast majority of the cases but it's different from what you're thinking as "Freedom of Attendance for Press Conferences" where the office holder of an executive branch would be required to hold open press briefings without limit but to my knowledge there is no such provision in both the US constitution or US common law so ergo massimus has a point that Trump is not obligated to open his press briefings to any journalist ...

This is a great answer.

OK guys it's times to close the thread 

vivster said:

Though I don't see what benefit there is banning a fake news reporter from a press conference when they lie about everything anyway, right?

You hit the jackpot.  

Another side to the story. Apparently the reporter was just shouting out questions in the oval office. I don't know:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33609/real-reason-white-house-barred-cnn-reporter-joseph-curl

Fascism

vivster said:

The press is the only force to ensure a balance next to the judicative in a democracy. You seem to be confused.