By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 52% of Sonic Mania Plus initial sales in the UK were on Switch

Sonic Mania Plus did fairly well for itself in its first week in the UK. During the week ending July 21, it placed at #5. We also found out earlier in the week that the Switch version charted higher than other platforms.

We now have further information about Sonic Mania Plus’ performance. On Switch, 52% of the game’s sales were on Switch. PlayStation 4 was next at 34%, followed by Xbox One at 15%.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-23-uk-charts-crash-bandicoot-holds-no-1-as-xbox-exclusives-dominate-top-ten

Around the Network

As a Switch owner, it's certainly the kind of game that appeals to me.

This isn't surprising.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Well, great. The UK aren't the best market for Switch, if it does well there, we can assume that worldwide the Switch-version did pretty well.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Not shocked at all, Sonic has always sold best on Nintendo-platforms

Around the Network
melbye said:
Not shocked at all, Sonic has always sold best on Nintendo-platforms

Always? There was a time Sega made it's own hardware.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

UK is like the floor of what the Switch can do. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio is higher in other countries.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Wow! Over 50%!!!!!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Nintendo and Sega have a lot more in common with each other than they do with Sony. It doesn't surprise me that Sonic fits best on a Nintendo device.

Not a suprise, this game screams Switch. Certain games were just made for the device.

example

Disgaea 5/6 is/will be perfect for the device. No noticeable downgrade regardless of paper specs with full portability and tv support. No sacrifices IMO if you go with the Switch version, that are noteworthy anyway. Same applies to Sonic Mania and games like Crash or Spyro.

Wolfenstein 2 is another beast however. There is a clear advantage if portability is important, but there is also a equally clear disadvantage when it come to playing on a TV. Furthermore it being a late port will lead to a price difference as well, which is the biggest barrier for these AAA multiplat games. If they released day and date, it would not be as bad. DOOM and Dragonball Xenoverse 2 fall into this category as well. Keep in mind these games are fully functional and enjoyable, just not to the same degree as their PS4/X1 counterparts when played on a TV.

All in all, games like this will resonate with Switch without question and sell just as well as the other consoles. Bigger games that are relative to the needs of the consumer however, will likely sell noticeably less than the other versions. However, as long as they can turn a profit, they still have a place on the Switch as far as dev motivation goes.

So while this is great news to me, it does not suprise me in the least.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261