By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shenmue 3 have reached the $7M stretch goal!

Woah, that screenshot looks pretty great. I just hope they can pull of decent gameplay and the improved AI will definitely help with that.

Around the Network

they are proably being funded by SONY

they can't make a good game with just $7million

I hope fans and backers lower their expectation because this game will certainly not ambitious like S1 and S2

McDonaldsGuy said:
Random_Matt said:
How much money do they need?

I am actually kind of worried $10 million is "enough." The original Shenmue cost what, $70 million? I don't know if that includes marketing. But with HD, I feel Shenmue 3 would at least need to cost $50 million+ to truly be AAA. But hopefully I am wrong and they pull it off.

The game is being funded and backed d via Kickstarter, Sega and Sony. The kickstarter milestones are there for setting milestones to the scope of the game, not the full cost o  making the game. 

McDonaldsGuy said:
Random_Matt said:
How much money do they need?

I am actually kind of worried $10 million is "enough." The original Shenmue cost what, $70 million? I don't know if that includes marketing. But with HD, I feel Shenmue 3 would at least need to cost $50 million+ to truly be AAA. But hopefully I am wrong and they pull it off.

Nah it certainly doesn't need $50m to be AAA... 

Yakuza games are awesome and very high quality, with lots of content and they dont cost anywhere near that. The problem these days is people thinking Ubisoft open world, which is a totally different scale. I think they should be fine with 10-20m. Marketing will be picked up by Sony probably (or the publisher).

The plus and negative sides for Shenmue... One of the reasons that Yakuza games are so good is that they've had these concepts/mini games etc built up over many years. Shenmue is basically a new game from scratch. One positive is that its using the unreal engine, so in theory the game should be easier to make than spending 5m+ and a few years building an engine.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
lightningfunk said:

Really, where? 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:
Fei-Hung said:

The game is being funded and backed d via Kickstarter, Sega and Sony. The kickstarter milestones are there for setting milestones to the scope of the game, not the full cost o  making the game. 

I don't think Sega actually gave any funding, they just allowed Ys Net to make the game afaik. Sony probably gave something in exchange for timed console exclusivity, but hard to say how much. Deep Silver is publishing the game so they probably gave them some funding. And I also recall Yu Suzuki saying that they had lined up some private investors outside of kickstarter. So all in all they should have a fair amount of funding, but I certainly wouldn't expect the total funding to be any higher than $15m, which is considerably less than the $47m budget for Shenmue 1 ($47m is what Yu claims, he says the $70m figure that Sega gave included costs associated with Shenmue 2). We should definitely try to keep our expectations kind of low regarding the scope and graphics imo, better to end up pleasantly surprised if they do exceed lower expectations than to end up disappointed if it falls short of higher expectations. 

Forgot about Deep Silvers involvement. 

I think Sony will possibly offer XDev for support building the PS4 version. Also, I think the graphics won't be as groundbreaking as they were with the other two. I think this will be like a lesser Yakuza game in terms of content and size of the maps. If it's more, I'll be really surprised. 

lightningfunk said:

Fei-Hung said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

Just adding on.

Copy pasted from the FAQ: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/faqs

How are Sony and Shibuya Productions involved? Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support, Ys Net is able to use more of the money collected through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

Another faq answer says they have other funding sources.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 25 July 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Chazore said:
lightningfunk said:

Really, where?