By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shenmue 3 have reached the $7M stretch goal!

A game that requires the reliance of kick starter just doesnt sound promising to me. If this game has protential than devs and publishes would be jumping on this IP like crazy. It sounds like they are trying to force the creation by these funds.
Why isnt this game getting funded by a major Publisher?

Around the Network
lightningfunk said:
Chazore said:

Really, where? 

Uncharted had a budget of $20m so Shenmue can't be being made for $7m

Yeah, that's a Sony game, but Shen isn't created and isn't owned by Sony either.

Also other AAA games have varying budgets, so  no, it's not just Sony's game budget that means a game cannot/can be made, especially when we've already seen it being done by Ninja Theory.

Btw, the Publisher for III is Deep Silver. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
lightningfunk said:

Uncharted had a budget of $20m so Shenmue can't be being made for $7m

Yeah, that's a Sony game, but Shen isn't created and isn't owned by Sony either.

Also other AAA games have varying budgets, so  no, it's not just Sony's game budget that means a game cannot/can be made, especially when we've already seen it being done by Ninja Theory.

Btw, the Publisher for III is Deep Silver. 

i know Shenmue isn't owned by Sony

but Uncharted's gamne budget was an estimate.

Uncharted is one of the big games with a low budget of $20m which is on the low side for big games

so if they don't have Uncharted budget for Shenmue 3 then the game is most probably very bad.

But i know they are funding it in some way so i am relaxed

lightningfunk said:

i know Shenmue isn't owned by Sony

but Uncharted's gamne budget was an estimate.

Uncharted is one of the big games with a low budget of $20m which is on the low side for big games

so if they don't have Uncharted budget for Shenmue 3 then the game is most probably very bad.

But i know they are funding it in some way so i am relaxed

Yes, an estimate of what kind of game can be made with said budget, but even then we're forgetting about the engine, the artists, the art style in general, which we've already seen from numerous AAA and AA games, all with varying budgets, but also looking good and decent as well.

There are games out there with far higher budgets, and then we have AA games with lower budgets than UC.

No, just because they don't have that exact amount of money does not mean their game will be objectively bad, that's not how it works. You *think* that's what will happen, but that's your *opinion*, not an objective fact. Please do not confuse the two.

I'm more chill with the fact that Deep Silver are funding and publishing the game, rather than anything from Sony's end. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

Yes, an estimate of what kind of game can be made with said budget, but even then we're forgetting about the engine, the artists, the art style in general, which we've already seen from numerous AAA and AA games, all with varying budgets, but also looking good and decent as well.

There are games out there with far higher budgets, and then we have AA games with lower budgets than UC.

Uncharted's Budget is on the low side of AAA games so that what i was talking about

and Uncharted is a closed world game

No, just because they don't have that exact amount of money does not mean their game will be objectively bad, that's not how it works. You *think* that's what will happen, but that's your *opinion*, not an objective fact. Please do not confuse the two.

really?u really had to say that

keep your condescending tone to yourself

Around the Network

While it is definitely normal to be skeptical of how Shenmue 3 is going to turn out, I have faith in the project. Yu Suzuki has a great track record of innovation and producing great games. Fingers crossed Shenmue 3 holds up to the first 2

Guys, the game isn't being developed with $7M alone, as stated on their FAQ page they have other funding sources. The additional funding will only help them make a better game by implementing the features in the stretch goals.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 01 August 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
lightningfunk said:

Uncharted's Budget is on the low side of AAA games so that what i was talking about 

and Uncharted is a closed world game

really?u really had to say that

keep your condescending tone to yourself

And there are other games with lower budgets that prove it can be done, which is what I am arguing about.

There are plenty of other "closed world" games out there besides UC with varying budgets, UC is not the default, it is not the "mold". 

Yes, I did, because you seem to confuse the two.

Keep it to yourself. 

Chazore said:

And there are other games with lower budgets that prove it can be done, which is what I am arguing about.

There are plenty of other "closed world" games out there besides UC with varying budgets, UC is not the default, it is not the "mold". 

I agree. Gravity Rush 1 + 2 probably had much smaller budgets than the cheapest Uncharted game and they both are gorgeous.

Chazore said:

Name one open world game that compares to Shenmue type games

Uncharted is the default for Top notch games

Yes, I did, because you seem to confuse the two.

Keep it to yourself. 

the meaning of facts vs opinion?