By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT results Q4 and Full Year earnings. Huge.

Errorist76 said:
Revenue is not earnings. It’s not like they’d get all their gamespass games for free. Plus they’re selling a way more expensive system and giving the older one for peanuts. More smokes and mirrors is what I smell.

Earnings are up.
Profitablitly is up

MPC earnings Q4FY18 $3bn
MPC earnings Q4FY17 $2.2bn  

MPC profit margin Q4FY18 27.86%
MPC profit margin Q4FY17 23.67%

MPC earnings FY18 $10.6bn
MPC earnings FY17 $8.8bn

MPC profit maring FY18 25.1%
MPC profit margin FY17 22.4%

Panosmies said:
Microsoft as a company is doing great, but from the report, you can't even tell is the gaming division profitable or still making losses..

Xbox didn't make any losses since the release of Xbox 360 Slim and Kinect.

Bing and Surface were the last sub division that went profitable the last few years.
And now they don't have any loss making major division anymore.

Around the Network

under More Personal Computing (Microsoft Windows, Surface, Xbox etc)...

They show they pulled in $42.3 billion in revenue. They said “gaming revenue” was $10.35 billion for the year, which means Windows/Surface/etc accounted for the other $32 billion in revenue.

It also shows they ended up with $10.6 billion in operating income in that “More Personal Computing” division.

So, it’s very possible that they could have spent more on the Xbox brand last year than the $10 billion they pulled in.

Im just saying they don't breakdown profits when they talk about Xbox.

OldGaffer said:
Panosmies said:
Microsoft as a company is doing great, but from the report, you can't even tell is the gaming division profitable or still making losses..

Xbox didn't make any losses since the release of Xbox 360 Slim and Kinect.

And we will never know just how the money flows inside the XBox (ad)venture.

One thing is VERY clear: MS loses a shitton of money on XBox1 hardware. And I don't mean they lose "a little" on every console, it is SHITTONS of money.

Consider the following: The PS4 recently saw a price hike by 10% in Europe. Probably the result of the ram deal that had to be renewed, at worse conditions as we all know ram prices are very high at this time. They upped the price of the base model from 299 to 329. They really do not want to lose money on hardware. Now consider this: there is a plethoria of XBox1 bundles in stores, ranging from $189 to $279 (each including three major games, and some have 3months of Live in addition to the games). There is _no way_ MS can produce those bundles at those prices and be profitable on the harware product, not even even marginally.

Now consider next: How much does XBox1 actually pay (yearly) for using, maintaining and expanding the Azure server farms Live feeds on? Have they ever paid anything or have they been free-riding on Azure services?

Now consider next: What happened to all those millions of (expensive, not cheap) Kinect2 chips and parts that were never put into Kinect2s? How much did that fiasco cost? Kinect2 is not cheap at all to manufacture. It is a brilliant technical gadget that (imo unnecessarily) died in its infancy. How do you value the many VR businesses that MS bought out during development of the XBox1  (which probably could also have been a preemptive strike against competitors)? What are all those VR people doing now which were supposed to do XBox1 VR stuff?

There are a lot of things we do not know and will never know as MS is absolutely silent on the details. There still is no clean "XBox division" for an answer (or a good guess), it has also always been padded with profitable "stuff".

Angelv577 said:
KLAMarine said:
What's GAAP mean?

in case nobody answer to you, it means General Accepted Accounting Principals which are a set of standards and rules that company has to follow for reporting purposes.

Thank you.  i thought people were being sarcastic (I hope) about the answers.  As an accountant, some of the responses were hurting my eyes.

finalrpgfantasy said:
Angelv577 said:

in case nobody answer to you, it means General Accepted Accounting Principals which are a set of standards and rules that company has to follow for reporting purposes.

Thank you.  i thought people were being sarcastic (I hope) about the answers.  As an accountant, some of the responses were hurting my eyes.

What do you make of the numbers?

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
pxrocks said:
This is what happens when you have more online subscription on the platform than actual exclusive games.this actually proves that consumer don't care about exclusives.i hope playstation and Nintendo take note and create more online subscription services rather than investing in expensive exclusive games(which PC gamers don't get to enjoy) .it will be good for them and also for the consumer.

Yeah, no. Considering that MS is currently dead-last in console sales pretty much every sign points to the fact that this is clearly not the model to follow and that Sony and Nintendo are the ones who actually know what gamers want and not the other way around. I am more than willing to pay extra for quality exclusives, no subscription required (though I personally do pay for PS+).

Remember, MS =/= Xbox brand. 

OT: good results as always, and healthy growth for the gaming sector. Albeit logic would dictate that a growing install-base will consume more software and a 500$ late-gen console upgrade will bump those numbers up.

This is somewhat a narrow view of Microsoft's business plan in regards to expanding its gaming prospects. You see for them it's not just about console sales and wars. For them it's an expansion opportunity for the gaming industry beyond consoles (eventuality) through the use of multi device platforms and a clever subscription based model which both Sony and Nintendo would be wise to follow down track if they are to future proof their gaming business. Microsoft are doing well in this regard by expanding to Windows 10 PC's as well as mobile down the track. If you ask me that's the way.. Xbox subs are on a the rise in a healthy way and 50 something million is nothing to scoff at. I'm sure any business would be happy with growth like that  

Last edited by 3sexty - on 20 July 2018

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Profit/Revenue > Sales figures

In a sales sites no it isn't.

And we don't really have a Profit/Revenue of the consoles or MS SW because it at least is contaminated with 3rd party royalties.

Or can you help us determine how much Profit and Revenue X1 brought as a console or SoT, SoD2 and others did?

This is not just a Sales Site.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

In a sales sites no it isn't.

And we don't really have a Profit/Revenue of the consoles or MS SW because it at least is contaminated with 3rd party royalties.

Or can you help us determine how much Profit and Revenue X1 brought as a console or SoT, SoD2 and others did?

This is not just a Sales Site.

It still is the core of the forum (hint, MS as a whole earnings isn't relevant to the site, unless we want to start talking Samsung, LG, Apple and other companies that may have some interaction with gaming).

But please help us understand the profit from X1 HW or how many SW MS sold since we can't see what is the impact of the royalties and what is purely MS sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wow!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/microsoft-soars-past-dollar800-billion-in-value-after-strong-earnings/ar-BBKQYXA?ocid=spartanntp

KLAMarine said:

Wow!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/microsoft-soars-past-dollar800-billion-in-value-after-strong-earnings/ar-BBKQYXA?ocid=spartanntp

And all due to gamerpass and GAAS, Sony and Nintendo should copy them immediatelly =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."