Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy, refund or boycott a game out of political spite?

My purchasing decisions would be effected my a political action, event or group...

Yes. 12 21.43%

No. 24 42.86%

To some extent. 14 25.00%

Not so far but maybe. 5 8.93%

Comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 1 1.79%

Total:56
LiquorandGunFun said:

https://www.fraghero.com/game-developer-tweets-voted-trump-please-dont-play-games-just-go-fuck-off/

yeah fuck those morons.

Wouldn't buy from these morons...

Funny part is he say he won't be polite/peaceful because now is wars, but at the first aggression any LGBTetc suffers (doesn't matter by who) he will claim homophobia and demands police protects them and that they are peaceful and only want to be respected, etc.

Some people really tarnish the fight they do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

Political? I can't say that's happened yet, but it's possible I suppose. If I genuinely don't like somebody though, I'll not but a product associated with them. Not buy it hard. If Phil Fish hadn't retired, I'd gladly skip anything he made. I won't touch a product Randy Pitchford is involved with. Jessica Price is totally worthy of joining that club.

Chinese food for breakfast

Dumb people use social media and voice their opinion as if the opinion of the company who employs them. Companies need to take action in such cases.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

For me, I avoid games that have their content cut during the localization process. I'd like to play the game as what the creators intended.

I bought Kingdom Come Deliverance purely to support the devs. I salute them for not backing off like cowards when the big SJW backlash took place.

And whoever hires Jessica Price will be dead to me.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Yes, my political affiliation and religion do affect my buying habits for sure. If a game can be seen as anti-Christian I usually skip it. Likewise, if a developer goes too politically correct and forces in an overly diverse cast, especially in a context where it doesn't make sense, such as the recent Battlefield V controversy, I skip it. My love of Wolfenstein has also diminished considerably since Machine Games decided to get overly politically correct with the series, I heard alot of bad things about Wolfenstein II so I skipped it, and now it seems like they're doubling down on political correctness, the recently announced Wolfenstein Youngblood has 2 butch looking female characters as leads, so I will probably skip it as well. For awhile Bioware's LGBT push turned me off, the character Zevran in Dragon Age Origins was so overtly gay and pushy (I got unwelcomed sexual advances from him the whole game) that it turned me off of their games until Dragon Age Inquisition released, thankfully though they seem to have learned their lesson, LGBT relationships were completely optional in Inquisition, no characters tried to throw themselves at you like Zevran did in DA Origins. I am also proud of any developer who openly fights against political correctness, such as Warhorse Studios, who stood tall in spite of criticism from the left about the game not having dark skinned characters, even though having white characters in a medieval game is historically accurate. 

As far as the developer's political opinions go, I usually don't mind what opinions they hold as long as they don't let it affect their games. Most game developers fortunately have the sense to not get overly political with their games, and that is as it should be. I will say this though, I might just boycott any developer who hires the recently fired Jessica Price, her misandry is just as unwelcome in this world as misogyny is.

Amen. I agree with every word.

It's hard to boycot the very best games that one really wants to play, but games I really don't must have, that are too much propaganda for a progressive/multikulti/leftist/SJW society I do boycot. Like Firewatch, Battelfield 5, Wolfenstien.

I also refuse to buy Bioware games at full price anymore. Although it doesn't matter since Bioware was forced by EA to go for the dull open world "I-want-to-be-the-next-The-Division-and-Destiny" micro-transaction games-as-a-service strategy anyway.

I

Aura7541 said:
For me, I avoid games that have their content cut during the localization process. I'd like to play the game as what the creators intended.

I almost did that with Criminal Girls, but "whatevered" it and bought it eventually. It wasn't that big of a deal in that specific case IMO, and although it would have been preferable to remain untouched, it made sense to cut what they did for the west.

Chinese food for breakfast

I'd love to know why a bunch of people are saying Wolfenstein "got politically correct". I played through both New Order and New Colossus and didn't see that. The games deal with heavy subjects actually, and you kill a ton of people. That's not very "politically correct" imo.

A bunch of people here also sound like those people who wouldn't buy a game for having female/non-white/LGBT characters, claiming that it's an SJW move to include those kinds of people. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Answering the OP: No, I don't think so. I obviously wouldn't buy literal propaganda games, but I don't think I've ever seen such a thing. I usually don't buy games because of anti-consumer moves, nothing to do with politics. Maybe I wouldn't buy a game from someone who offends me personally (such as Lars von Trier, I skip every single one of his films), but it's pretty hard to offend me.

Last edited by LuccaCardoso1 - on 16 July 2018

G O O D B O I

pizzanuggs said:
I take politics into consideration when purchasing games.

Though I have the opposite feel as you.

I'd certainly aim to support anything Jessica Price is involved with due to the recent situation.

Alternatively I am making a point to not purchase anything by some other Devs for their misogynistic/racist rants. Devs who I will not mention in this forum.

You feel strong enough about a matter to not buy games based on it... but not strongly enough to tell others who the companies are you feel don't deserve sales, you should mention them you could open the eyes of someone else to the views you have on the matter.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Yes.

My disdain for anything Trump or his supporters at this point means I would rid myself of a company who is led by a trump supporter or funds Trump campaign.

There is no compromise for supporting fascism.