By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy, refund or boycott a game out of political spite?

My purchasing decisions would be effected my a political action, event or group...

Yes. 12 21.43%

No. 24 42.86%

To some extent. 14 25.00%

Not so far but maybe. 5 8.93%

Comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 1 1.79%

Total:56
the-pi-guy said: 

If it's really overt, like you play the game, find out Trump is the head nazi in a video game, I'm avoiding that company from then on.  

Why?  That would be hilarious! 

Around the Network

I don't like this mentality, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't give into it once or twice lately. While I've yet to BOYCOTT a game for an political reason, I did rush out to get Kingdom Come after an absurd backlash it got amongst a few identity-obsessed websites who made a stink about not having "POC" in the game. Yes, a video game, set in historic eastern Europe in the Middle Ages, were lacking POC, who would have thought?? I mean, I was probably going to buy the game anyway, though likely after a discount or two rather than full price.

I'm also definitely more positive that I want to check out Far Cry 5 even more now that it's recieved some hate from a few outlets for.. some reason? I think it is an even more laughable bs reason like, they didn't shit on Middle America and right wing Christians enough? Hahaha, you honestly can't make this stuff up.

And I doubt I will get any game in which Jessica Price was involved with after recent events, would just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Not unless it was something really extreme. Like, if someone openly supported Nazism or something like that, I would boycott, but not for much less than that. I'm sure that in the case of any game, I can look into the developers and find people I agree with and disagree with. As long as nothing I find objectionable is in the game, I don't find it particularly relevant to my purchase. If I only dealt with people I 100% agree with politically, I would probably have a tough time getting much of what I need.

Absolutely. I try to avoid that negative shit whenever I can.

A great deal of it is forced, fake, and the communities behind the games are often toxic as hell too.

No, unless the developer or game advocates something truly reprehensible. These so-called controversies that a lot of games these days seem to attract (e.g. Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Wolfenstein II) mostly just make me more interested in taking a closer look at the game, since in both of these cases for example it showed the developers willingness to stand by their artistic decisions, which I very much respect.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

I avoid every EA game because it's EA.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

DarthMetalliCube said:
I'm also definitely more positive that I want to check out Far Cry 5 even more now that it's recieved some hate from a few outlets for.. some reason? I think it is an even more laughable bs reason like, they didn't shit on Middle America and right wing Christians enough? Hahaha, you honestly can't make this stuff up.

If you're referring to the video I think you are, then no, that's not what happened at all. Fake internet backlash just made that seem like the case.

If anything I've heard the problem is that the game uses a political backdrop but doesn't explore it in any meaningful way. 

I mean, if a game was boldly making a point that I strongly disagreed with then I would just not play it.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

There are some indie games I've sworn off, since those are small teams and the opinions of one person greatly reflect the product. A big, faceless corporation, some random employee's opinion has no impact on the product, so it really doesn't matter.

Unless its something absurd like Nazism or racism I general I really don't care. Even if a game was political I don't see why people would want to completely shit themselves off from someone else's viewpoint