By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Struggling to enjoy Metroid: Samus Returns

Luke888 said:
Tbh I never felt the counter to be overemphasized, if you don't want to use it you can dodge enemies and shoot them with your other attacks, Samus is one of the most agile characters you could play as. For the free aim I don't know what to say, it's just better this way, I know you you might be used to set angulations but it's so smooth you shouldn't have any problems getting used to it

I also never used the counter. it's not needed to beat or enjoy the game. The free aim is great though . 2D Metroid should keep free aim for the future.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

i have had actually the opposite feeling.

I loved most than other Metroid, including prime!

the 3ds version felt solid

Switch!!!

Such a great game imo. If you don't like the counter system, then I can see it not being much fun. That is one of the core aspects of this game.

Sounds like it isn't for you. I recommend playing something else rather than trying to slog through a game you don't enjoy. Any other Metroidvania games got your eye?

I'm a Metroid fan from all the way back: the original Metroid was the game that really got me into gaming. I really enjoyed Samus Returns! If you're having a tough time adjusting to the countering, don't worry, its use becomes a bit less pervasive later on. Samus Returns is a little more action-oriented than the classic Metroid games, which is a fun quirk! It's not something I want to be part of every Metroid game going forward though, honestly. I LOVED Samus's expanded move set! I've never felt cooler playing her than in this game.

I hadn't cared for the previous trend we'd seen toward severely weakening (Other M) and just eliminating Samus as a playable option (Federation Force). I found Samus Returns to be a welcome return to form for the character and the franchise, with some enjoyable new hooks and the most expansive map to date, and one that's very clever!

All in all, I would rank Samus Returns as my third-favorite entry in the franchise, behind Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 13 July 2018

Around the Network

Reminds me that I need to actually finish it :-|

Good game though, sure no Super or Fusion, but good game.

I feel you. Samus Returns has some great parts but also a few warts. The boss battles are some of the best in the series, and I like some of the mechanical novelties, but recycled bosses and that dreadful melee counter hold the production back. Honestly, I don't think it's appreciably better than Return of Samus, which is underrated as far as I'm concerned.

umegames said:

The main thing I'm not enjoying is the need to constantly counter every enemy, and the free aim got old very quick. 

My immediate suggestion would be: Don't be afraid to use your missiles. If you play the game just running up to every enemy, waiting for them to attack, countering, rinse and repeat, then yes, the game will probably get old very fast. It's much quicker and more efficient (not to mention safer) to use missiles/charge beam, and the game gives you a large enough starting supply that you'll almost assuredly never run low if you're collecting expansions consistently.

Another thing worth remembering is that, as soon as you get Charge Beam, you can use Pseudo Screw Attack to get through most baddies. Charge your beam and spin jump into an enemy in your path, and (on normal) you'll usually take them out. You don't even have to bother with fighting them.

Beam Burst works wonders too if you've been picking up aeion expansions consistently. Really, I'd only suggest countering as a last resort or if you're in need of aeion.

MTZehvor said:
umegames said:

The main thing I'm not enjoying is the need to constantly counter every enemy, and the free aim got old very quick. 

My immediate suggestion would be: Don't be afraid to use your missiles. If you play the game just running up to every enemy, waiting for them to attack, countering, rinse and repeat, then yes, the game will probably get old very fast. It's much quicker and more efficient (not to mention safer) to use missiles/charge beam, and the game gives you a large enough starting supply that you'll almost assuredly never run low if you're collecting expansions consistently.

Another thing worth remembering is that, as soon as you get Charge Beam, you can use Pseudo Screw Attack to get through most baddies. Charge your beam and spin jump into an enemy in your path, and (on normal) you'll usually take them out. You don't even have to bother with fighting them.

Beam Burst works wonders too if you've been picking up aeion expansions consistently. Really, I'd only suggest countering as a last resort or if you're in need of aeion.

that actually helps.