By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New AI can infer homosexuality from photos of faces [91% accurate]

Psychographic software should be banned?

Yes 12 46.15%

No 14 53.85%

Total:26

I can smell the fun from afar...

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
numberwang said: 

An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research that suggests machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

When the software reviewed five images per person, it was even more successful – 91% of the time with men and 83% with women.

That's not all that impressive in context.  They could have gotten a much more accurate predictor if they'd just had the algorithm say "straight" every single time.  Then the accuracy would jump up to around 95-96%.

Nem said:

Erm... it's been scientifically proven that it is genetic. So, yes, you are born into it.

No it hasn't.  There's a correlation to be sure, but humans are complex creatures that are a sum of their genetics, experiences, upbringing via parents, cultures, traumas, successes, support structures, social status, opportunities, etc..

Any all or nothing statement on why people act and want what they do is faulty (and in this case a politically motivated myth).  It's never as simple as nature vs. nurture for anything.

I never really understood why the question mattered anyway.

There's several studies that make it very obvious. Or are you expecting there for be human experimentation?

The homosexuality has to do with a hormone balance.

It can be resisted though. There's several gay men with children. Honestly, i think a man can get hard to virtually anything. But it should be obvious to everyone that it's genetic when there's a lot of people who don't want to be gay but simply are.

They could make a rigged test that identifies religious fundamentalists, but marks them as gays instead, so that they start stoning to death each other.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

the-pi-guy said:
omarct said:
What a scam. Nobody is born gay. At most the cumputer can recognized some typical facial gestures that some homosexuals are prone to use, such as a more feminine smile.

There's plenty of evidence that being gay is at least somewhat related to their genetics (which would suggest they are born gay).

I read a very convincing post that homosexuality is a product of evolution.  

There's plenty of heterosexual males that have more feminine features.  

This is the same debate I had with a college professor once. "People being born a certain way". In this case Gay, or maybe they are born murderers or rapist. Are people who are into bestiality born that way? What about pedophiles? Musicians?  Bisexuals? This is such a stupid debate and it is amazing how many people will refuse to see it. We are all born blank slates, there are genetics that indirectly influence your sexual orientation among other things, such as an individuals born with a micro penis, lower testosterone or maybe a more curious mind, but your sexual orientation at the end of the day is mainly dictated by nurture and life experiences. Parental influence is huge, as is the environment.

SvennoJ said:
Is there an AI yet that can predict when I'll die. Got to party hard in the final year!

Just think you'll die next year, Never stop partying hard... unless this AI is about, then chill until it moves along and get back to partying like you die tomorrow!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Nem said:

There's several studies that make it very obvious. Or are you expecting there for be human experimentation?

It can be resisted though. There's several gay men with children. Honestly, i think a man can get hard to virtually anything. But it should be obvious to everyone that it's genetic when there's a lot of people who don't want to be gay but simply are.

Homosexuality has links with both biological and environmental factors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_and_sexual_orientation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation

The fact that some "gay men" can have children is besides the point, they are either living a miserable life... Or. They weren't 100% gay to begin with, sexuality is a spectrum and not a binary construct.

omarct said:

We are all born blank slates, there are genetics that indirectly influence your sexual orientation among other things, such as an individuals born with a micro penis, lower testosterone or maybe a more curious mind, but your sexual orientation at the end of the day is mainly dictated by nurture and life experiences. Parental influence is huge, as is the environment.

Prove it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Nem said:

The fact that some "gay men" can have children is besides the point, they are either living a miserable life... Or. They weren't 100% gay to begin with, sexuality is a spectrum and not a binary construct.

omarct said:

We are all born blank slates, there are genetics that indirectly influence your sexual orientation among other things, such as an individuals born with a micro penis, lower testosterone or maybe a more curious mind, but your sexual orientation at the end of the day is mainly dictated by nurture and life experiences. Parental influence is huge, as is the environment.

Prove it.

Just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's very likely you just disagree with his stance and I feel that you have the belief forged over 32 years in what you believe, asking a user to bring you evidence to change your mind is going to be probably impossible as he wont be able to change 32 years of what you believe in with a forum post, probably one of those times to just agree to disagree.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

omarct said:

Prove it.

Prove what? This is so basic I feel stupid even having to explain it. Do you think people are born deeply religious or are they made so through childhood "conditioning"? Let me give an example from my personal life. I work night shifts so I rarely see my son and wife. My son(3) spends most of his time with his mom. When his mom is cleaning he wants to join in and clean. When she is putting on lipstick/makeup, he wants to play with her cosmetics. He is also scaredy-cat just like his mom and will cry easily. Am I suppose to suspect that my son was somehow born gay or feminine? Or that the fact that he spends so much time with his mom is influencing him? It doesn't take a science article to let me figure out which is the correct answer. If you can't see it then there is no more point to this conversation.

Edit: One last thing. No matter what your genetics are, sexual orientation for humans is more mental than physical. I personally know a guy who was born without a penis. He didnt even have a hole to piss from. He had to tube linked straight to his bladder so he could pee. Long story short, the guy is straight, even without a penis he is still attracted to women. Maybe this isn't the best example but my point is that any girl no matter what her genetics can be attracted to the same sex and the same applies to guys. Humans have mostly overcome things like instinct through intelligence and the ability to release sexual tension by masturbation etc....

Last edited by omarct - on 14 July 2018

Ganoncrotch said:

Just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's very likely you just disagree with his stance and I feel that you have the belief forged over 32 years in what you believe, asking a user to bring you evidence to change your mind is going to be probably impossible as he wont be able to change 32 years of what you believe in with a forum post, probably one of those times to just agree to disagree.

It is not even about changing my mind, that is a Red herring, aka. A logical fallacy. - Thus rambling on about my age, changing my mind is thus ultimately irrelevant.

The thing is... He is making a claim, regardless if it is accurate or inaccurate, the burden of proof lays with him, aka. The person who makes the claim.
So no... I won't just "Agree to disagree". - If you cannot backup your claims, then your claims can be discarded, it is that simple.

On these forums if someone asks me to meet my burden of proof, you can bet I will meet that demand.

omarct said:

Prove what? This is so basic I feel stupid even having to explain it.

Prove your claims. If it is indeed "stupid" as you say, it should be relatively easy, right?

omarct said:

Do you think people are born deeply religious or are they made so through childhood "conditioning"?

You are conflating two COMPLETELY separate issues, that is a logical fallacy.
Religion has absolutely nothing to do with ones sexuality.

omarct said:

Let me give an example from my personal life.

I don't care about your person life, that is irrelevant and thus opinion and thus not empirical evidence.

omarct said:

Edit: One last thing. No matter what your genetics are, sexual orientation for humans is more mental than physical. I personally know a guy who was born without a penis. He didnt even have a hole to piss from. He had to tube linked straight to his bladder so he could pee. Long story short, the guy is straight, even without a penis he is still attracted to women. Maybe this isn't the best example but my point is that any girl no matter what her genetics can be attracted to the same sex and the same applies to guys. Humans have mostly overcome things like instinct through intelligence and the ability to release sexual tension by masturbation etc....

Again. You are conflating two separate issues, thus again... A logical fallacy.
Gender and sexuality are separate constructs and thus not comparable.

But if you cannot backup your claims with empirical evidence, then your argument can be discarded in it's entirety.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Nem said:

Yes, i know and agree.

We know it has a genetic component. The environment component we don't really know how it goes.