By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New AI can infer homosexuality from photos of faces [91% accurate]

Psychographic software should be banned?

Yes 12 46.15%

No 14 53.85%

Total:26

This will be great to diagnose kids early to help them and parents with early adjustment to their reality 

Around the Network
Rab said:

This will be great to diagnose kids early to help them and parents with early adjustment to their reality 

Or... knowing how imature and unprepared most parents are, they could try to force the kid to become straight having that knowledge early.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

what happened to its their own business? I see far more nefarious things being done with this, especially to prosecute in places like the middle east and russia which are not friendly places for LBGQT (i think I got those letters right) this isnt something that needs to be. its up to the individual not a computer in what they feel.

omarct said:
What a scam. Nobody is born gay. At most the cumputer can recognized some typical facial gestures that some homosexuals are prone to use, such as a more feminine smile.

Erm... it's been scientifically proven that it is genetic. So, yes, you are born into it. Also, WTF is a feminine smile? lol You really have no idea what homosexuality is if you think it's just a guy who will act feminine. xD I do agree with you in one thing. This software is very sketchy. I really don't think theres a correlation with physical facial traits, except in extreme cases. Last edited by Nem - on 12 July 2018

Nem said:
omarct said:
What a scam. Nobody is born gay. At most the cumputer can recognized some typical facial gestures that some homosexuals are prone to use, such as a more feminine smile.

Erm... it's been scientifically proven that it is genetic. So, yes, you are born into it. Also, WTF is a feminine smile? lol You really have no idea what homosexuality is if you think it's just a guy who will act feminine. xD I do agree with you in one thing. This software is very sketchy. I really don't think theres a correlation with physical facial traits, except in extreme cases.

I don't agree that there is no link, but there may be other variables that could be accounted for. If you read the paper that the article is based on, their methods don't have any flaws that I would say discredits the process entirely, but they do mention that features such as grooming style are accounted by the algorithm, which I would argue can increase the accuracy without showing a genetic link. They do explain how the program is trained to examine the shapes and positions of facial elements, which seems to account for most of its information, and might require some very obvious hairstyles to make the facial traits insignificant.

Something I would like to point out is that they only used sexual orientation as a specific test for their hypothesis, which is that since we know certain traits are recognized with relatively  high accuracy, such as age, and some traits with low but significant accuracy such as personality, can an AI detect traits that are imperceptible to humans?

Around the Network

Is there an AI yet that can predict when I'll die. Got to party hard in the final year!

omarct said:
What a scam. Nobody is born gay.

Prove it. With evidence.

omarct said:
At most the cumputer can recognized some typical facial gestures that some homosexuals are prone to use, such as a more feminine smile.

Some homosexuals are prone to use.
There are Homosexuals you would never know where Homosexual.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

NightlyPoe said:
numberwang said: 

An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research that suggests machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

When the software reviewed five images per person, it was even more successful – 91% of the time with men and 83% with women.

That's not all that impressive in context.  They could have gotten a much more accurate predictor if they'd just had the algorithm say "straight" every single time.  Then the accuracy would jump up to around 95-96%.

Nem said:

Erm... it's been scientifically proven that it is genetic. So, yes, you are born into it.

No it hasn't.  There's a correlation to be sure, but humans are complex creatures that are a sum of their genetics, experiences, upbringing via parents, cultures, traumas, successes, support structures, social status, opportunities, etc..

Any all or nothing statement on why people act and want what they do is faulty (and in this case a politically motivated myth).  It's never as simple as nature vs. nurture for anything.

I never really understood why the question mattered anyway.

If you're not born with it, that would suggest that there's a choice involved. That just doesn't seem to be right, if you think about it. Do you feel that you could just choose someday to go the other way? I couldn't. You like what you like.

Does that work on people who repress their homosexuality?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’