By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese game titles

HomokHarcos said:
What's stranger to me is that many Japanese games have English titles.

Doesn't the average Japanese person have a better grasp on basic english than an average english person has on basic Japanese? I think they learn a decent amount of it in school but I could be wrong.

Also I remember an interview with Japanese people where they said that english people had cool words. Really simplistic words mostly. That might be why a lot of anime will include an english phrase out of nowhere. 

I think both of these points would explain why most english titles in Japan are 1-3 word sentences with really easy to understand english words (and usually long japanese subtitles at the bottom)

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
HomokHarcos said:
What's stranger to me is that many Japanese games have English titles.

Doesn't the average Japanese person have a better grasp on basic english than an average english person has on basic Japanese? I think they learn a decent amount of it in school but I could be wrong.

Also I remember an interview with Japanese people where they said that english people had cool words. Really simplistic words mostly. That might be why a lot of anime will include an english phrase out of nowhere. 

I think both of these points would explain why most english titles in Japan are 1-3 word sentences with really easy to understand english words (and usually long japanese subtitles at the bottom)

They seem to really like using gratuitous English. I think it's more acceptable to be into American culture there, unlike in the USA where many people who are into Japanese products are called weaboos.

HomokHarcos said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

They seem to really like using gratuitous English. I think it's more acceptable to be into American culture there, unlike in the USA where many people who are into Japanese products are called weaboos.

Japanese people suck at English, completely. Most of them can say hello and a couple of basic introduction sentences, and that's it. But they think that English (and French) sounds very cool. 

You should see Japanese malls. More than half of the shops have English or French names, and almost all of them have no sense whatsoever. Same thing with ads or products names. 

Just go with it

Around the Network
pokoko said:

This got me intrigued. Is the source anime any good?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

TheWPCTraveler said:

It's ... okay.  Average.  Its primary claim to fame is this scene, which is probably far more famous than the actual anime.  It's a light novel adaptation that ends before it really gets anywhere relative to the series of books.  

Last edited by pokoko - on 09 July 2018

Perhaps it has something to do with their written language? Since kanji lets them put a whole word into a single character, if they write the title in kanji they can write a whole sentence with the same number of characters we'd use in a two word title. Probably doesn't explain all of it, but could factor into it.

Honestly, it's the same reason people in the west get tattoos of kanji they don't understand.

pokoko said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

It's ... okay.  Average.  Its primary claim to fame is this scene, which is probably far more famous than the actual anime.  It's a light novel adaptation that ends before it really gets anywhere relative to the series of books.  

Oh, I see. Thanks for the overview. I was hoping that there was more to this anime than just this scene.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3