By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Nextbox go for the headstart, or wait for PS5 to make the first move?

I think MS should...

Get a headstart and relea... 21 38.18%

Release alongside PS5 17 30.91%

Let PS5 go first 17 30.91%

Total:55

well if the next xbox want a chance to win or at least be more competitive, it needs to release first and cheaper. If both release at the same time at the same price. PS5 will win next gen. Europe and Japan will be favor sony once again by huge margin while US gap will be pretty close between the two.

Around the Network

Xbox can't release sooner, it would be way too expensive, at best they can release at 449 at the end of 2020. xbox brand is also just weak in europe, and dead in japan.

S.Peelman said:

A consolemaker only screws up every three generations...

I doubt we have enough generations to see such a pattern.

Also SEGA screwed up with 32X and Saturn and Dreamcast.

Last edited by Conina - on 07 July 2018

Conina said:
S.Peelman said:

32x was just an add on. It doesn't change the fact that Genesis was a success. Saturn is where they really screwed up. Releasing early without giving stores and devs a heads up, which lead to some stores refusing to sell the Saturn, and some devs not releasing their games for it. And there were few screw ups with the Dreamcast. The PS2 just overshadowed it, while Sega felt the full ramifications from their bad decisions from the past 5 years+. 

They would probably do best to release before Sony. However, based on what we know, it seems like Sony is probably ahead of Microsoft in development of their next system. My guess is they release at the same time or Microsoft may even be a bit later...

Around the Network
Conina said:
S.Peelman said:

Of course there's no such thing as a "third console curse" but it's quite funny that many console makers do seem to screw up every third mainline home console.

Magnavox Odyssey
Magnavox Odyssey2
Magnavox Odyssey3

Atari Pong
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari XEGS
Atari Jaguar

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U

Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn

Commodore 64
Commodore CDTV
Commodore Amiga CD32

PlayStation 1
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

I think they both will launch in fall 2020.

We gotten some talk about multiple devices from Microsoft, maybe we'll see 2 new consoles from them. 1 cheaper(300$) and 1 more expensive(500$).

This way Microsoft can surprise Sony by having both the cheapest console the next-gen and the most powerful console, seems smart to me.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Conina said:
S.Peelman said:

Lol yeah poor SEGA. Though personally I’d call Saturn the screw up and poor Dreamcast the victim of that, but I wouldn’t want to derail a thread with my little joke post.

Probably take the headstart, since it was a much closer loss for them in 7th Gen than near-simultaneous was in 8th Gen.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I don't see how launching after the PS5 (14TF) and the MS waiting to see what Sony does and launching at 20 TF makes even a little bit of sense. It's almost like some people have very simplistic views of console development. MS did not wait for Sony to show it's hand with the Pro then a year latter came out with the XB1X... It takes years to develop the hardware. If they wait a year it's not going to be any more powerful simply by waiting a year. The spec's for the consoles are already pretty much nailed down and being worked on now. If they changed that, you would have to look at changing production, supply, pricing not to mention the testing. None of this just "happens" simply by waiting.