By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Nextbox go for the headstart, or wait for PS5 to make the first move?

I think MS should...

Get a headstart and relea... 21 38.18%

Release alongside PS5 17 30.91%

Let PS5 go first 17 30.91%

Total:55

I hope they release after the PS5, as it allows for a larger gap between the XONE X and the next console. Sony is gonna do their thing anyway.

Around the Network

A consolemaker only screws up every three generations, so Microsoft is doomed no matter what they do; Sony isn’t going to make any mistakes.

On the plus-side that means Microsoft themselves isn’t going to make mistakes either. It’ll be smooth sailing with both having decent sales and boring all-around next gen.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 06 July 2018

Errorist76 said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

the ps3 was trash at launch. the games looked like trash and that can be thanked by the cell processor. yeah it got its shit together by the end of the generation with some great games and much better polish.

also where are your numbers to support your "fact"?

You’re on VGChartz, right?

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/272488/xbox-one-vs-xbox-360vgchartz-gap-chartsdecember-2017-update/

PS3 outsold 360 from the first year on btw an even outsold it with one year less in the end.

ok that works, yeah i am on vgchartz, but that wasnt my claim. i dont care enough to research something like that. but thanks for getting to it anyways.

S.Peelman said:

A consolemaker only screws up every three generations, so Microsoft is doomed no matter what they do; Sony isn’t going to make any mistakes.

On the plus-side that means Microsoft themselves isn’t going to make mistakes either. It’ll be smooth sailing with both having decent sales and boring all-around next gen.

Sony doesn't need to make a mistake per-say to end up derided by the public, they just need to offer a console that isn't as "good" as the competition.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The smartest move would be to release alongside, but I don’t think it really matters. Sony’s gotten good at the advantages MS used during the 360 era, and it’s extremely unlikely theyre gonna make any of the mistakes they made during the PS3 launch. Even if Xbox launches first, PS5 would still win.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

IMO realising after PS5 would be huge mistake for next Xbox, so they need to go before or alongside PS5.

Ideally, MS would launch Project Scarlet before Sony launches PS5. I don't think it matters when they launch though (unless its a year apart) since I can't see MS winning any countries outside US/ UK.

Assuming that they launch with a single new device, I expect that the next Xbox will either:

1) Launch a year ahead of PS5, with about the expected stats of that PS.

or

2) Launch at roughly the same time as PS5, at the same price, with noticeably better stats.

In each case, of course, MS cannot control how Sony will respond. If they launch a year before PS, it is very likely that Sony will bump the stats of PS5 up a bit, so as to have the more powerful machine again. If they launch at the same time, Sony could of course race them to the top in terms of stats. But, to the extent that MS can control the situation, I think it will go one of those two ways.

The reality is that MS must regain market share. If they cannot do so in the next several years, I expect that they will get out of the console business. To do so, they'll need to have something that Sony does not. Of course, they could do it by under-pricing Sony. This is actually one way where MS can pretty easily win. If they really want to, they can certainly afford to take more of a loss on console sales. But, it doesn't look to me like that's the route they want to take, as they're currently pushing max power. So, I figure they will either try to get time or power on their side.

With all of that said, and considering that they have alluded to having multiple devices in the family, they very well could launch at both the high and low end at the same time. That would be interesting, and I have no way to even guess as to how that will work out for them.

Won't make any difference for MS until they improve first party support. Even if they don't repeat the XB1 launch disaster. Also the next consoles won't be much more powerful than the PRO or the X, if at all since 1080p will still be the standard, not 4k.

Pemalite said:
S.Peelman said:

Sony doesn't need to make a mistake per-say to end up derided by the public, they just need to offer a console that isn't as "good" as the competition.

The power gap would have to be pretty big for that to happen. I highly doubt Sony will let that happen.

VAMatt said: 
Assuming that they launch with a single new device, I expect that the next Xbox will either:

1) Launch a year ahead of PS5, with about the expected stats of that PS. 

or

2) Launch at roughly the same time as PS5, at the same price, with noticeably better stats. 

In each case, of course, MS cannot control how Sony will respond. If they launch a year before PS, it is very likely that Sony will bump the stats of PS5 up a bit, so as to have the more powerful machine again. If they launch at the same time, Sony could of course race them to the top in terms of stats. But, to the extent that MS can control the situation, I think it will go one of those two ways. 

The reality is that MS must regain market share. If they cannot do so in the next several years, I expect that they will get out of the console business. To do so, they'll need to have something that Sony does not. Of course, they could do it by under-pricing Sony. This is actually one way where MS can pretty easily win. If they really want to, they can certainly afford to take more of a loss on console sales. But, it doesn't look to me like that's the route they want to take, as they're currently pushing max power. So, I figure they will either try to get time or power on their side. 

With all of that said, and considering that they have alluded to having multiple devices in the family, they very well could launch at both the high and low end at the same time. That would be interesting, and I have no way to even guess as to how that will work out for them.

Both of those are going to be tough for MS to do. First of all, Sony will have the advantage of component pricing. The lowest one of their consoles has sold is 85M+ and they'll be coming off of another 100M+ console, both they can use as leverage for better pricing. 

MS will have to pay more, given the fact that their next console may only match the XBO, possibly just the OG Xbox. And while people think MS has unlimited funds, so they could buy next gen, two things need to be remembered. 1) MS ≠ Xbox. Which was proven this gen by MS lowering funds to Xbox after it failed to match the 360. 2) MS has investors it has to answer to. They can't just pump billions into Xbox to subsidize a console, just to win a console war, without pissing them off.