By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platform agnostic gaming is a big deal

What do you think?

Yes 2 15.38%

No 11 84.62%

Total:13

Pubg mobile has made me understand what Bluehole and Epic games are going for as the mobile market has a bigger reach than consoles and PC's will ever have and that is okay for other publishers to do. I'm sure we'll see a lot more console game getting mobile ports and phones and games going forward designed for all platforms. PC's still get the best version. Console gamers get the premium treatment. Mobile gamers are happy with being able to play these games.

There are other reasons for this as mobile gamers are more receptive to microtransactions and don't have as high standards. Console and PC gamers want the best of everything but aren't willing to pay for it. Most games don't sell at $60 as its not economical to buy a game upfront for that price. There are the Assassin's Creed and GTA that people are willing to spend that money but the market cannot sustain so many games and we see several games getting lots of hate for one small detail that was missing.

I've seen people saying they wouldn't buy a game because they don't like the voice acting even though everything else is amazing. They might not buy a game because the characters don't appeal to them even if it plays amazing like DmC: Devil May Cry. That game got so much backlash for such little reason. I've written an article on it on my website if you're interested in checking out my perspective on that debacle. Making $60 games on console is difficult and its difficult to know what the market will see your product. Platform agnostic development makes it a more safe investment for developers and makes their product to a big audience. This it guys. I don't see third parties not going that route although first parties will still do what they do best to attract gamers.

Around the Network

Consumers in the tech sector are extremely demanding and want the best for the cheapest. So, companies are doing "season passes" and selling DLC they made before and chopped out for a crazy mark-up. It's a push-pull that only ends when they push too much. Consumers aren't obligated to buy anything they don't want; companies are obligated to make consumers want their product.

Really, who are "mobile gamers"? Cause i can only imagine those gamers as people who play in very short spurts of time every once in a while. So... that's the only kind of experience that can work on mobile. But, as more games appear, theres less room for new ones.

As for DmC, the controversy was well earned. I love the games Ninja theory makes and i loved DmC. But, they spit in the face of the fans. They made their own bed. If anything it's a case study of how to not insult fans of the original work and embrace them instead. It was pure developer arrogance that created the "controversy".

twintail said:
If something about a game doesn't appeal to me then I won't buy it.
Same applies to movies. Music. TV shows etc.

Ah, the voice of reason and wisdom.

Mobile gaming (via smartphones) is largely for normies.

Nem said:
As for DmC, the controversy was well earned. I love the games Ninja theory makes and i loved DmC. But, they spit in the face of the fans. They made their own bed. If anything it's a case study of how to not insult fans of the original work and embrace them instead. It was pure developer arrogance that created the "controversy".

Actually, the original concept art for Dmc is way more faithful to the series. It was Capcom who called for even more drastic changes. Then from their Ninja Theory handled the bad PR ... well ... badly. Which is to be expected from such a, at the time, small fry studio.

Around the Network

You guys don't get platform agnostic gaming. The platform you play on will not matter. The majority of games will run on every platform. Better on some than others. Keep that in mind when you read the OP and don't boil down this discussion to mobile games are shit because they wouldn't be if AAA games can be played there.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nem said:

Actually, the original concept art for Dmc is way more faithful to the series. It was Capcom who called for even more drastic changes. Then from their Ninja Theory handled the bad PR ... well ... badly. Which is to be expected from such a, at the time, small fry studio.

I don't mean the character design, i mean the wig scene. I doubt it was Capcom that told them to do that.

GOWTLOZ said:
You guys don't get platform agnostic gaming. The platform you play on will not matter. The majority of games will run on every platform. Better on some than others. Keep that in mind when you read the OP and don't boil down this discussion to mobile games are shit because they wouldn't be if AAA games can be played there.

Phones will never replace consoles and PC. They have touch controls and tiny screens. It's a completely different gaming experience. I think you are the one simplifying it and assuming the only difference between systems will be the technical specs.

Different platforms are suited to different gaming styles. It's just how it is. This platform agnostic you try to pass along, just like the other one, is just another word for confused.

Last edited by Nem - on 01 July 2018

Nem said:

I don't mean the character design, i mean the wig scene. I doubt it was Capcom that told them to do that.

Lol ... what?

The controversy for Dmc happened WAY before the wig scene. Years before. In fact, the wig scene was a response to the controversy. 

Sorry but I preffer my games tailored and maximizing the platform they are made, and that happens when they focus on one platform... moreso over exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nem said:

Lol ... what?

The controversy for Dmc happened WAY before the wig scene. Years before. In fact, the wig scene was a response to the controversy. 

That was entitlement and i don't care for it. I don't think most people did.

The problem was how they said the series was old and outdated when it wasn't and making fun of it in the game itself was unacceptable. That is where they failed in my eyes.

It is never a good idea to make fun of your fans or to insult them. This reminds me of "the order" as well where the developers brought that 24fps cinematic BS. If you spit on your fans, they will spit back on you. It's an important lesson for developers.