By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Future of VR

VGPolyglot said:
VR is all right, it'd be better if I didn't feel sick every time I used it though. Also, the controls/movement still isn't quite there yet.

What do you mean by controls / movement?



Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
VGPolyglot said:
VR is all right, it'd be better if I didn't feel sick every time I used it though. Also, the controls/movement still isn't quite there yet.

What do you mean by controls / movement?

Like how with Doom VFR instead of general movement it's just teleportation, and other games do the same I believe.



SvennoJ said:
Peh said:

Not sure if you know this already. Having the vive pro at home. You don't see anything of your environment while wearing the helmet. No light is coming in. You controllers are tracked very precisley all the time. It's like seeing the real controller infront of you. So you know where they always are. Steam Home VR is a good starting point to test and get adjust to the VR environment.

It depends on the game in PSVR. A lot render the move controllers as well, yet it's not smart enough to recognize you having them the wrong way around (in the wrong hands) and the move buttons are so tiny while the resolution so low it's hard to see where what button is for new players. I still have problems with the odd layout of the buttons... Same with the DS4 rendered in game it's hard to see for new players what to press. Plus the game prompts to press the T button for example, new comers don't even know which way to hold the move, let alone find the T button. It needs to be more accessible.

Not being able to see the environment or edges of the play space at least is also a problem when letting new players try it out. I constantly have to steer them back to the camera with the out of play area warnings. Vive has a lot bigger play area at least yet inside out tracking would solve this with a wire frame overlay to stop you walking into furniture and walls. I think the Windows MR headsets already do this.

It is funny though, watching someone try Superhot VR holding guns upside down and not being able to shoot, drop or throw a gun.... Wave it around that sticky gun, oh wait don't move, dead. Move needs to be put to pasture. It was great tracking tech for last gen, arguably the best, this gen it's definitely the worst and a millstone around PSVRs neck. It was a nice bonus if you still had it from last gen and were already used to the controllers, yet damn those move controllers are awful in VR for someone who has never touched a move before.

I can't say much about psvr. I know that the tech is kinda, well, let's say vive and rift can do way more like precise tracking and letting you walk around in a defined space or circle. You always see the boundaries, so you can't walk into objects if you have set it up correctly.

 

Valve even offers a tutorial for people trying it out for the first time:

 

https://youtu.be/Kg7gPiz8-SU

 

When I intoduce new people to VR, I take the very slow way of them getting adjusted to it. Let them play with the physics and getting a clue about the controls. Not necessarly letting them play a game where locomotion is being used. It was pretty hilarious when I let my mom try it out. I put her on some kind of mountain and this was just too real for her. So she went on screaming >.<

Getting back to the psvr, I hope that Sony supports it with their next gen console.  They could do way more with it, but it depends if their customers are also willing to go further.

When I looked for a VR headset, I wanted to get the best one available around with the best support. Really good tracking is a must for me. So, since I don't like Facebook, I went with HTC Vive. After trying it out for some time, I went for the Pro to get the higher resolution. But the higher res comes with a way higher cost of resources, so here I am hoping for the next gen GPU's.



Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

VGPolyglot said:
Peh said:

What do you mean by controls / movement?

Like how with Doom VFR instead of general movement it's just teleportation, and other games do the same I believe.

Doom VFR sadly doesn't use it. Movement is there, though, like in Skyrim VR. Also it depends on the developer and the game itself. There are a lot of games that are using locomotion. So you can move freely around as you please. That means, if you are used to it. 

 

Lile you can see here:

 

https://youtu.be/5lNhKM4TzZA

 

It's all possible and even more.

 

I sure love to share this video around:

 

https://youtu.be/qwcHnG8EDTw

 

The immersion is just amazing.

https://youtu.be/9ihMYVqa2Xg

Last edited by Peh - on 24 June 2018

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

As a lover of the Oculus Go and PSVR, I just want more power, higher resolution (though the Go is pretty great!), no wires, and better battery life. Aside from that, the current state of VR is awesome and I only see it becoming more and more of a part of our lives. I find myself escaping for hours a day and I can't wait until more people fall in love with it like I have.



Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

I think the biggest obstacle of VR is the wires, I would use my PSVR a lot more if weren't for the hassle of the wires.



animegaming said:

I think the biggest obstacle of VR is the wires, I would use my PSVR a lot more if weren't for the hassle of the wires.

imo wires is the least likely to go away completely next gen as the bandwith requirements for much higher res screens would be immense with wireless connections already struggling to deliever the bandwith/ping/stability gen1 HMDs need and additionally a big enough battery + a super high end antenna add cost/weight

but atleast it could come down to a single thin cable for the headset itself as inside-out-tracking doesn't need an external cam for tracking and the "processing box" should be done away with



I really hope VR is improved and expanded upon for gaming,mainly for PSVR's future. I've really enjoyed some of the experiences ive had in VR and can see the huge potential to it down the road with more improvements



NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

VGPolyglot said:
Peh said:

What do you mean by controls / movement?

Like how with Doom VFR instead of general movement it's just teleportation, and other games do the same I believe.

There is movement on psvr with the DS4 or the gun thing, both have issues though. I kept swapping between DS4 for run and gun, and the gun thing (what's the name) for big battles. Clearly it was designed for teleportation and ported to movement as a lot of things don't make sense.

Peh said:
SvennoJ said:

It depends on the game in PSVR. A lot render the move controllers as well, yet it's not smart enough to recognize you having them the wrong way around (in the wrong hands) and the move buttons are so tiny while the resolution so low it's hard to see where what button is for new players. I still have problems with the odd layout of the buttons... Same with the DS4 rendered in game it's hard to see for new players what to press. Plus the game prompts to press the T button for example, new comers don't even know which way to hold the move, let alone find the T button. It needs to be more accessible.

Not being able to see the environment or edges of the play space at least is also a problem when letting new players try it out. I constantly have to steer them back to the camera with the out of play area warnings. Vive has a lot bigger play area at least yet inside out tracking would solve this with a wire frame overlay to stop you walking into furniture and walls. I think the Windows MR headsets already do this.

It is funny though, watching someone try Superhot VR holding guns upside down and not being able to shoot, drop or throw a gun.... Wave it around that sticky gun, oh wait don't move, dead. Move needs to be put to pasture. It was great tracking tech for last gen, arguably the best, this gen it's definitely the worst and a millstone around PSVRs neck. It was a nice bonus if you still had it from last gen and were already used to the controllers, yet damn those move controllers are awful in VR for someone who has never touched a move before.

I can't say much about psvr. I know that the tech is kinda, well, let's say vive and rift can do way more like precise tracking and letting you walk around in a defined space or circle. You always see the boundaries, so you can't walk into objects if you have set it up correctly.

 

Valve even offers a tutorial for people trying it out for the first time:

 

https://youtu.be/Kg7gPiz8-SU

 

When I intoduce new people to VR, I take the very slow way of them getting adjusted to it. Let them play with the physics and getting a clue about the controls. Not necessarly letting them play a game where locomotion is being used. It was pretty hilarious when I let my mom try it out. I put her on some kind of mountain and this was just too real for her. So she went on screaming >.<

Getting back to the psvr, I hope that Sony supports it with their next gen console.  They could do way more with it, but it depends if their customers are also willing to go further.

When I looked for a VR headset, I wanted to get the best one available around with the best support. Really good tracking is a must for me. So, since I don't like Facebook, I went with HTC Vive. After trying it out for some time, I went for the Pro to get the higher resolution. But the higher res comes with a way higher cost of resources, so here I am hoping for the next gen GPU's.

The vive controller at least has a defined way to hold them with clear buttons. New people can't even figure out which way is up on move, especially not with the headset on.
Some games show you the boundaries of the play area on psvr, most do not though.

Did you play Fallout on Vive? I played Skyrim on psvr for 130 hours with full locomotion and dual move controllers. Once you have it dialed in it works pretty good. However it does fumble now and then with the bow when you're pulling the move back in front on the headset. The ps4 doesn't like the lights overlapping. Comfort level was fine, only in the tilted ship did I feel some nausea. Everything tilted at 30 degrees in VR while sitting straight on a couch feels very wrong.

Immersion level is great though. My 6 year old couldn't stand the lost bear already, too scary. It's a 2D platformer playing out on stage while you watch it in a theater that changes around you. Some things come out of the play area towards you, that was too much lol.

My favorite game to introduce people is Wayward sky. It has a fun play area in the menu select section and is a simple point and click game. Or let them watch Allumette as you can walk around the set and look in and under things as the movie plays out. No controller needed.



Yep, there is still a lot to improve. Which makes the current HMDs kinda disappointing but gets me more excited about future high end VR. I just hope VR support will survive until we reach that high end in a few years.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.