By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People are trying to refund Mario Tennis Aces for not being like real tennis

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Cobretti2 said:

What research do you expect to people who preorder to do? It is not like it was spelt out with a WARNING: can't change set and game numbers. That is a fundamental core of a tennis game and shouldn't have been omitted. It is bad press that could have been avoided easily. 

The only info that was provided was you can turn off the fancy shit and play real tennis.

As I just said, listen to those who actually have the game. There's no way to spin this to make it not the consumers fault. Nintendo isn't holding a gun to their head forcing them to buy the game.

You are missing the point people PREORDER games they get excited when it comes out and want to be the first people to get it. They are not going to wait to see how good it is and ake a decision days later if they are going to cancel their order and loose their deposit. 

Let's be honest here they should also not have to look up to see a common sense basic feature that should be there. This kind of shit will just make people not preorder games or turn them off Nintendo in future.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
potato_hamster said:

You literally are blaming the consumer for complaining about something that they had every reason to expect to be in the game because you think they should have known that it wasn't in the game because if they "did their research", they would have known.

The Gamestop review doesn't mention it.
The IGN review doesn't mention it.
The Gameinformer review doesn't mention it
The Eurogamer review doesn't mention it.
But hey, the Destructoid review gives it one sentence.

Yep. it's obviously the consumers fault. Clearly the average switch-owning arcade tennis fan should go into more depth than some of the most popular game review sites around. That makes sense for them to go the extra mile and dig further  on the sixth game in the Mario Tennis series, when the other games have the feature, and there was no reason to expect the feature to be missing this time around, you know, unless they went to Destructoid

I'm literally not doing that as literally anyone with eyes and basic reading compression can literally see. I'm blaming the consumer for buying the game without being fully informed. The complaints about the game are obviously Nintendo's fault as I've already said, and it's even good that people are complaining for helping inform others.

Those are bad reviews then, but what, you saw that your expectations weren't mentioned by a few sources, so you just assumed they were met? Lesson learned I hope. Don't fret though, I had to learn the hard way as well as I imagine most do.

You're still not getting it. Your definition of "fully informed" requires way more research than is reasonable to expect an average consumer to do. If going to some of the largest gaming review sites on the planet, reading multiple reviews, reading Nintendos own website, going to the store and reading promotional material, as well as the game box itself, and the fact that an "extended" match is a three game, two set match doesn't come from anywhere? You can't expect them to know about that ahread of time, because that's way more than the average consumer will do.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 27 June 2018

Cobretti2 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
As I just said, listen to those who actually have the game. There's no way to spin this to make it not the consumers fault. Nintendo isn't holding a gun to their head forcing them to buy the game.

You are missing the point people PREORDER games they get excited when it comes out and want to be the first people to get it. They are not going to wait to see how good it is and ake a decision days later if they are going to cancel their order and loose their deposit. 

Let's be honest here they should also not have to look up to see a common sense basic feature that should be there. This kind of shit will just make people not preorder games or turn them off Nintendo in future.

Nothing you said changes anything I said, preordering is still buying the game and is still entirely up to the consumer.

potato_hamster said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
I'm literally not doing that as literally anyone with eyes and basic reading compression can literally see. I'm blaming the consumer for buying the game without being fully informed. The complaints about the game are obviously Nintendo's fault as I've already said, and it's even good that people are complaining for helping inform others.

Those are bad reviews then, but what, you saw that your expectations weren't mentioned by a few sources, so you just assumed they were met? Lesson learned I hope. Don't fret though, I had to learn the hard way as well as I imagine most do.

You're still not getting it. Your definition of "fully informed" requires way more research than is reasonable to expect an average consumer to do. If going to some of the largest gaming review sites on the planet, reading multiple reviews, reading Nintendos own website, going to the store and reading promotional material, as well as the game box itself, and the fact that an "extended" match is a three game, two set match doesn't come from anywhere? You can't expect them to know about that ahread of time, because that's way more than the average consumer will do.

Not interested in what you think is reasonable to expect, only the fact that you can know everything about a game before you buy it. I wasn't even looking for this info specifically yet I knew about the lack of options in Aces. Took no effort at all, just happened to see it on Reddit. Now stop making excuses and own up to your mistake, that way you might not make it again in the future.

potato_hamster said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Can't quit doing something I never did, I take it you're not understanding what I'm saying somehow. Well here's the bottomline; you can keep blindy buying games day 1 then whine and make excuses when they're not what you wanted, or you can learn from this and better inform yourself before buying games in the future. All up to you!

You literally are blaming the consumer for complaining about something that they had every reason to expect to be in the game because you think they should have known that it wasn't in the game because if they "did their research", they would have known.

The Gamestop review doesn't mention it.
The IGN review doesn't mention it.
The Gameinformer review doesn't mention it
The Eurogamer review doesn't mention it.
But hey, the Destructoid review gives it one sentence.

Yep. it's obviously the consumers fault. Clearly the average switch-owning arcade tennis fan should go into more depth than some of the most popular game review sites around. That makes sense for them to go the extra mile and dig further  on the sixth game in the Mario Tennis series, when the other games have the feature, and there was no reason to expect the feature to be missing this time around, you know, unless they went to Destructoid

Destructoid is generally my go-to, if that makes you feel better.

If people are trying to refund the game over this one feature, that's petty to me. I can understand not liking the all-around lack of content though. The game feels barebones after finishing the adventure mode, and playing through the first CPU tournament.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Cobretti2 said:

Nothing you said changes anything I said, preordering is still buying the game and is still entirely up to the consumer.

potato_hamster said:

Not interested in what you think is reasonable to expect, only the fact that you can know everything about a game before you buy it. I wasn't even looking for this info specifically yet I knew about the lack of options in Aces. Took no effort at all, just happened to see it on Reddit. Now stop making excuses and own up to your mistake, that way you might not make it again in the future.

Where did I claim I didn't know about it before I bought the game? I was fully aware. I am able to empathize with other people though. Perhaps you should try it.

Around the Network

I can completely understand why people might be disappointed, it does have tennis in the title and at least some previous Mario Tennis games have offered gameplay similar to real tennis, but I think these people should take a bit more time to look into their purchases. If you buy on day 1, preorder or otherwise purchase mostly blind then you have to realise you could easily be throwing money away on frustrating, incomplete or disappointing games.

I saw the trailer with all the crazy powers and stuff, right there I could see it wasn't anything remotely like real tennis, so I didn't buy it. It might be fun, it might have options to change what I want but unless I see what I'm interested in or play it in a demo then I'm not buying it.

If these people get a refund then I'm glad the retailers are being kind to them because they could easily deny them a refund for this and I wouldn't think they were wrong to do so.

potato_hamster said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Where did I claim I didn't know about it before I bought the game? I was fully aware. I am able to empathize with other people though. Perhaps you should try it.

You didn't deny when I implied this the first couple times, but whatevs. Not sure where this empathy nonsense is coming from. I very much understand people's frustration here, as I already said it's happened to me, but that alone does nothing. I also provide a real solution that has kept me from feeling that same frustration for years.

The title is a bit misleading, it's not the gameplay itself that is the issue, it's that you can't customize the games/sets/matches for some reason. I know it's addressed in the OP, but still, that title makes it sound worse than it is.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 29 June 2018

Lonely_Dolphin said:
potato_hamster said:

You didn't deny when I implied this the first couple times, but whatevs. Not sure where this empathy nonsense is coming from. I very much understand people's frustration here, as I already said it's happened to me, but that alone does nothing. I also provide a real solution that has kept me from feeling that same frustration for years.

So because I didn't call you out when you implied something about me, it's fair to assume it's true? If you say so. Sounds like it's a good way to dig yourself a hole and make a fool out of yourself, but that's just my opinion.

If you understand the frustration, then why blame consumers for not doing more than what would widely be considered reasonable when seeking out information about a game? Even the demo Nintendo released didn't contain this information. I'd reckon almost all of the people that knew about this before release were active members of internet gaming communities, which, believe it or not, represents a minority of gamers.  I'm really not sure how you can possibly say you understand the frustration when realistically, the only way most people were going to find this out was after they bought the game and played it themselves, and that is precisely the scenario the original post covers.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 29 June 2018

Landale_Star said:
I can completely understand why people might be disappointed, it does have tennis in the title and at least some previous Mario Tennis games have offered gameplay similar to real tennis, but I think these people should take a bit more time to look into their purchases. If you buy on day 1, preorder or otherwise purchase mostly blind then you have to realise you could easily be throwing money away on frustrating, incomplete or disappointing games.

I saw the trailer with all the crazy powers and stuff, right there I could see it wasn't anything remotely like real tennis, so I didn't buy it. It might be fun, it might have options to change what I want but unless I see what I'm interested in or play it in a demo then I'm not buying it.

If these people get a refund then I'm glad the retailers are being kind to them because they could easily deny them a refund for this and I wouldn't think they were wrong to do so.

Here is the thing. People preorder for various reasons. In some locations some game only ever get an initial order and that is it. once gone it is gone. Other reasons is stores offer preorder bonuses if you buy from them.

By the time people do their "checks" it could be too late and they miss out on a game or not get the preorder bonus they wanted etc.

Fundamental mechanics which are common sense is not something people should be worried about when making a preorder.