By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Opencritic/Metacritic thread. (79 Opencritic)/(77 Metacritic)

Please add more to the OP, posting just links isn't enough.

Edit: I will update the OP for you, just this once :P

Around the Network

I'd say 75-80 for a Mario sports title is a success, the reviewers all seemed to really enjoy it.

The day 1 patch is out, and from what little I've seen so far it appears the netcode has been fixed up. The signal strength is actually able to go back up after falling, and if it drops dramatically the game will freeze until it recovers instead of giving you input lag. Still lacks ruleset options though, but hopefully they'll be in the next patch. So yeah I'll probably pick this up tomorrow. The game isn't as great as it could have been, but it'll still be a blast to play!

EDIT: Gamexplain says it's all good after extensive playtime! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzbnNS7yIE

Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 21 June 2018

vivster said:
Cobretti2 said: 

WTF? When did kids become snowflakes (or assumed to be by the reviewer) that don't like a challenge? When I was at that age, mastering a game was all I had on my mind. I am sure pretty much most on here would feel the same.

When you were that age there only was one game and nothing else to do other than trying to master it. A lot of (most?) people just don't seek challenge from a game and rather have a simple and relaxing experience. And why would you bother if there are a billion other things that are more entertaining and easier?

There are ten times more people playing games now than when you were young. Maybe kids didn't become that way, but were always exactly that? Maybe gaming was a niche just because of needlessly hard to play games?

The popularity of online competitive games and esports between teenagers seems to show otherwise. If ever I think adults are more likely to have different priorities than getting good at a game.

axumblade said:
Asriel said:
Sitting at 79 average on Metacritic. Single-player mode doesn't sound very substantial and the new mechanics are a bit divisive, but it's a big improvement on recent Mario spin-offs from Camelot.

Most of the negatives are complaints about the single player being too difficult. It's weird how that is sometimes used as a pro and sometimes as a con. 

It's only a matter of expectations. Dark Souls (for example) is heavily marketed as difficult, so when the reviewers get their copy they know what to expect. They're likely looking forward to play a difficult game, otherwise they would spend their play time on alternative choices. In this case probably many were expecting a more friendly experience, so when the expectation is disproved you'll get mixed reactions.

Around the Network

I think the only reason is as low as it is is because they gave it a score pre-update. I never understood why companies like IGN wait for certain games and then just downright ignore others. Seems hypocritical if you ask me.

All in all though great scores. For the love of God guys, Splatoon 1 had an 81 Metacritic (only 2-3 points off Aces) and it was my favorite game on Wii U. Hell, Mario Strikers Charged, THE GREATEST MARIO SPORTS GAME, has a 79. The fact that Aces is at 78 is an amazing sign.

think-man said:

Please add more to the OP, posting just links isn't enough.

Edit: I will update the OP for you, just this once :P

Thanks. Was out of town for a day and a halfish, unexpectedly. Updated it with a link to Nintendolife's video. 

Well, Mario Tennis is a AA game at best. It's always been something that just sits there in the background as a "there's this... I suppose" title. If it would have scored really well, I'd have been shocked.

AlfredoTurkey said:  If it would have scored really well, I'd have been shocked.

Did play the demo? My guess is no...

PortisheadBiscuit said:
AlfredoTurkey said:  If it would have scored really well, I'd have been shocked.

Did play the demo? My guess is no...

When it comes to Nintendo games, I'm more of a Zelda and Metroid type of guy. I don't play the second and third tier titles.