By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Opencritic/Metacritic thread. (79 Opencritic)/(77 Metacritic)

vivster said:
Can't get a read on those reviews. It seems nobody has even tried to turn off the new mechanics in favor of a more simple play. I guess I'll see soon enough how good the single player actually is.

Yea, I remember playing the GC version.  The special moves were cool at first but then it just got ridiculous.  Luckily, they had option to turn it off which made it a pretty version of the 64 version.

Around the Network
Asriel said:
morenoingrato said:

Seems Nintendo botched the local multiplayer (no stage select? Wtf) but hopefully the online is up to par (I can't believe I have to hope for this, but I hope I can play against friends).

Baffling. Absolutely baffling. But also the kind of thing that can be rectified with a patch.

To be fair selecting courts in tennis match is the least important thing you can do in a tennis video game.  It isn't like this is golf.  Sure there is a difference between clay, grass, carpet, and hard courts (most tennis video games you can't tell differences even with different surfaces).  However, the main action is on the court which the stadiums probably only come into main view at start and maybe side changes.  I'm just saying you guys are overreacting.  It is a dick move but it isn't that important for a tennis video game.  Hopefully, they at least cycle through the different stadiums during local multiplayer matches.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 20 June 2018

areason said:
Miyamotoo said:
Solid score for Mario Tennis game, for comparision Mario Tennis for Wii U has 58 metascore score.

For the only major release on Switch so far this year it's score is a bit lack luster.

I was expecting better. 

Mario Tennis is not kind of game that gets very high scores, so 79 score for Mario Tennis game is quite good score.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/game/mario%20tennis/results

79 on both sites right now. Honestly this is such a borderline buy for me. I still want to get it, but I can't go buying every last game I'm interested in. Otherwise I'd go broke. If it goes up to 80 or 81 I'll get it.

Green098 said:
axumblade said:

Just what I was thinking. I'm sure that if the demand is great enough, Nintendo will at least listen. 

I'm curious to see how well this will sell. Kirby managed to hit 1 million after 7 or 8 weeks. I wonder if this game can do the same. 

It took 5 weeks for Kirby to sell through 1 million according to Nintendo did it not?

https://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-on-the-sales-of-kirby-star-allies-bayonetta-2/

Isnt Kirby Planet Robobot one of the highest rated and most loved kirby title in resent years? and its sold the 2nd worst?
Meanwhile people keep saying StarAllies isnt a good Kirby game, and its sold the most?

Wut? shouldnt there be a corrolation between a good game and its sales? what is this :p

Around the Network

I knew you guys were over optimistic.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

sethnintendo said:
Asriel said:

Baffling. Absolutely baffling. But also the kind of thing that can be rectified with a patch.

To be fair selecting courts in tennis match is the least important thing you can do in a tennis video game.  It isn't like this is golf.  Sure there is a difference between clay, grass, carpet, and hard courts (most tennis video games you can't tell differences even with different surfaces).  However, the main action is on the court which the stadiums probably only come into main view at start and maybe side changes.  I'm just saying you guys are overreacting.  It is a dick move but it isn't that important for a tennis video game.  Hopefully, they at least cycle through the different stadiums during local multiplayer matches.

I'm not really sure where you see the over-reaction. It's a baffling choice on Nintendo's/Camelot's part. Level-select should be part of the multiplayer options for local multiplayer. The GameCube version had it, why not have it on Switch? Like I said, any minor issue like this can be taken care of with a patch, but it seems an oversight on day one. And, by the sounds of reviews, it's not the only oversight. I'm still getting it, but I'd hoped for some more extensive single-player and local multiplayer options, as well as a longer single-player mode.

LipeJJ said:
I knew you guys were over optimistic.

I'm personally always overly optimistic about metacritic scores but at the same time, I hold almost zero stock in them unless they're disturbingly low.  Like, if MTA got a 60 then that would make me take pause and reconsider my pre-order.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 20 June 2018

"Kirby is too easy!"
"Mario Tennis is too hard!"

Nintendo just can't win. Still the score is better than I thought considering the full roster and online isn't avaible.

I agree when the reviewers say a game is too easy, that should remove lots of points most of the time except when the game is aimed at kids tho..

But games like DKC Tropical Freeze and Mario Tennis Aces.. jesus can we have hard games ? After that they will complain that every game is easy cause they keep under reviewing games because they offer a challenge.