By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Last of Us has sold over 17 million copies as of April 2018

quickrick said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Seemed reasonable to me. Fighting for survival every single day not able to just enjoy a toy or life. Doing things to keep the nerves together like whistling, singing etc to ease their selves. I could see it for sure. It sucked me deeper into the game with that....

she wasn't though, that's her first time on the outside, so she's not used to fighting everyday for her life. Aside from that, you would have to be very stupid to whistle, and sing loud in a world filled with clickers, which of course rely on sound. when joel told her to watch her step crossing the building, she gives him a look like please this is nothing, i understand what naughty dog is going for, i'm a cool bad ass teen, just would like a more serious tone in my survival horror games, i feel like joel captures the feeling of the miserable world they are living perfecty.   

Man oh man, you are missing so much subtext. The moments of brevity aren't just there for the sake of it, they're there to show there's still room to breath in this world (hope). When she walked across the plank, it wasn't so show she was a 'bad ass' teen for goodness sake, it was to show she was single minded and independent (Sarah buying Joel a watch and insisting it was 'still today'). His daughter was like that and it reminded him of his daughter. That's why he looks at the watch. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
quickrick said:

she wasn't though, that's her first time on the outside, so she's not used to fighting everyday for her life. Aside from that, you would have to be very stupid to whistle, and sing loud in a world filled with clickers, which of course rely on sound. when joel told her to watch her step crossing the building, she gives him a look like please this is nothing, i understand what naughty dog is going for, i'm a cool bad ass teen, just would like a more serious tone in my survival horror games, i feel like joel captures the feeling of the miserable world they are living perfecty.   

Man oh man, you are missing so much subtext. The moments of brevity aren't just there for the sake of it, they're there to show there's still room to breath in this world (hope). When she walked across the plank, it wasn't so show she was a 'bad ass' teen for goodness sake, it was to show she was single minded and independent (Sarah buying Joel a watch and insisting it was 'still today'). His daughter was like that and it reminded him of his daughter. That's why he looks at the watch. 

I think they could have handled the character much better, she get's better towards the end, but her showing no fear, hardly being serious in serious situations, and over use of the F word were kinda annoying. 

quickrick said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I think they could have handled the character much better, she get's better towards the end, but her showing no fear, hardly being serious in serious situations, and over use of the F word were kinda annoying. 

Ellie's only really afraid of being alone. Death is nothing to her. It's just 'waiting for my turn.' 

Did you even follow the character development? :)

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
quickrick said:

Ellie's only really afraid of being alone. Death is nothing to her. It's just 'waiting for my turn.' 

Yea i know that just doesn't seem believable, a 14 year old girl has 0 fear of death but of being alone. would have been nice to see her start out normal, and grow stronger, instead of 0 fear BS.

quickrick said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Yea i know that just doesn't seem believable, a 14 year old girl has 0 fear of death but of being alone. would have been nice to see her start out normal, and grow stronger, instead of 0 fear BS.

I really fail to see where you get the 0 fear from.

Does she have to say "I dont have 0 fear" for you to understand that she is in fear?

Around the Network
quickrick said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Have you played The Last of Us: Left Behind?   If so, you should understand why she is "Not afraid" of dying and why she is just "waiting her turn".

quickrick said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Ellie is fatalistic and fears being alone. She's also immune to the infection. She's lost three people she loves (or liked) and this cements her fatalism as the game progresses, giving her more strength and less fear. Only when Joel gets close to her does she change and feel some hope. The 'OK' is a compromise because she knows he's lying but at least isn't going to be alone (the thing she fears the most). 

It's an emotional trade off and one she's going to grow to resent. Watch her facial expressions in the recent gameplay demo when the guy is talking about Joel. The dropping of the head, the less than emphatic nod (sardonic rather than emphatic), the pursing of the lips and pushing out of the bottom jaw. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Ultr said:
quickrick said:

Does she have to say "I dont have 0 fear" for you to understand that she is in fear?

people in this thread have confirmed that she's not scared of dying.

Colocho said:
quickrick said:

Have you played The Last of Us: Left Behind?   If so, you should understand why she is "Not afraid" of dying and why she is just "waiting her turn".

yea 2 years ago it was really good from what i remember, but i can't remember anything about the story.

quickrick said:
Ultr said:

people in this thread have confirmed that she's not scared of dying.

Colocho said:

yea 2 years ago it was really good from what i remember, but i can't remember anything about the story.

well, there you go. Maybe you have to play the game one more time to see what it is about.

That makes me happy. To me, the absolute best game to ever be on a Playstation console. One of the best told stories and characters. You care about them.. I dont think I've ever cared as much about game characters as I do with Joel and Ellie.. as far as gameplay goes I dont think it's one of the best but certainly good enough.

At first I wasnt to sold about it.. after the first third or so.. I put it aside for a few months before I went back.. and the second half of it blew my mind. Shed a tear or three along the way. Prologue killed me.