By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sources: AMD Has Created Navi FOR Sony’s PlayStation 5.

Porcupine_I said:
So, PS5 will be a mobile platform confirmed. Otherwise having a Navi wouldn't make any sense

If Navi can be made to be extremely power efficient (which does go against typical AMD GPU power consumption levels), then using it in a handheld/hybrid could make sense.

Nin Switch, LOZ BOTW, Navi, PS/4/5 Portable. Multiple next gen XB devices.

Would AMD/PS really name it in such a fashion as a warning to Nin?

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
So let me get this straight? Navi is the next gen GPU from amd created primarily but not exclusively with ps5 in mind?

Rumour has it, it's been delayed to better fit Sonys requirements for ps5?

Navi is not a Next-Gen GPU. It's just an enhanced Graphics Core Next part.
AMD's next-gen GPU architecture actually comes after Navi.

HollyGamer said:

SONY can learn from Xbox One X technique on TDP optimization by soldering the APU close to the PSU.

...Umm. What.

HollyGamer said:

You might be right, but you also need to remember we are talking about AMD GPU here, not Nvidia , 15 teraflop Nvidia will be equal to 20 to 22 teraflop on AMD gpu , and also if PS5 releasing in 2020 or even 2021 , 20 teraflop + will be a mainstream GPU or standard even on PC. And high end will be like 24 to 30 teraflop on AMD PC GPU.

Flops are flops. They are absolutely identical regardless if it is nVidia or AMD.
The issue is... The flops that gets thrown around casually like you have done so is merely a theoretical, unachievable number in the real world.

HollyGamer said:

if Xbox One X can have 12 GB GDDR5  on this gen why not go nuts on next gen. Also future PC GPU will also go nuts. Even AMD has GPU that support 64 GB HBM2. And also even if it's imposible "a man can dream " . XD 

The Xbox One X is a "Premium" high-costing device.

The wider memory bus? Costs more.
The extra memory chips? Costs more.
The extra layers on the PCB? Costs more.
The more complex crossbar memory controller? Costs more.
The superior power delivery? Costs more.
The superior cooling mechanism? Costs more.

And it has the price to match... Which is why it will never hit the low price points of the Xbox One S.

For a next-gen console that isn't targeting a lower price point, then you bet'cha an odd 12GB/24GB set-up will simply be unfeasible from a cost perspective. (Plus ignoring the insane pricing for DRAM right now.)

Dark_Feanor said:

According to the article, Navi might be a revision on the RX500 series and still a GCN.

They are all Graphics Core Next.
The RX 580 was Graphics Core Next 4.0, AMD did rebadge Graphics Core Next 3.0 and 1.0 parts with the Radeon RX 530 and 520 though.
Vega is Graphics Core Next 5.0.

And guess what Navi is? Graphics Core Next 6.0.

They are all part of the same overarching architecture, with small enhancements at every evolutionary iteration.

So yes, in short, Navi is a "revision" of the RX 500 series and by extension a revision of the same GPU that is found in the Playstation 4.

HollyGamer said:

Yeah , i understand cost is the problem here, but PS4 also first came with 8 GB GDDR5 when most  of High end PC GPU are 6 to 4 GB GDDR5 in 2013. And still they are managed to make a a high margin profit each of consoles sales. 

The Playstation 4 took advantage of higher density memory modules for a similar cost.
Otherwise they would have had to double the amount of memory chips and costs would have blown out.

12GB or 24GB... I just don't see happening from a cost point of view, you would need a 384-bit memory bus to power that.

Trumpstyle said:

I predicted between 12-24GB of RAM, because of prices as you mention we might actually just get 12GB. But don't we need 24GB ram as minimun for next-gen graphics? I read that from other people in resetera forum that it's required for better textures, more polygons and lightning effects.

Ram wasn't actually the biggest limiter this generation, more is of course always better... But there are other technologies being brought into play that will lessen the need for giant memory pools.

shikamaru317 said:

A. If such a thing were to happen, MS would most likely go with an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU rather than give Sony a 2 year sales headstart on next gen or use an outdated Vega chip

B. Such a scenario would never happen anyway, MS has alot more money than Sony, Sony can't afford to pay AMD to make the entire Navi line PS exclusive, MS could easily outbid them. MS needs both an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU in order to maintain backwards compatibility, they won't let Sony lock down the entire Navi family. 

Microsoft will likely never go with nVidia ever again for a dozen different reasons.
Besides, AMD is already working on it's Next-Gen GPU architecture that succeeds Navi... If that GPU uArch is still based on GCN, Microsoft should be able to take the extremely modular Vega/Polaris uArch and add next gen refinements.

Besides. In the end... This is all irrelevant, AMD owns the patents to GCN and by extension Navi.

shikamaru317 said:

Polaris 10 is a 5 tflop chipset, I think the most we can realistically expect for Navi 10 is 10-12 tflop, which would be a 200-240% increase over the 3 year old (in 2019) Polaris 10.

You are way to focused on tflops. They tell us nothing of the gaming performance a GPU can offer.

shikamaru317 said:

Recent reports put Navi 10 performance level somewhere in the ballpark of Geforce 1080 and Geforce 1080ti, which are 8 and 10 tflop respectively, and historically speaking it takes more tflops for AMD to achieve a similar result to Nvidia in games, so that sounds just about right for a 10-12 tflop AMD GPU performance wise.

That is because games need more than just tflops... Which is why it's about as useful as using "bits" to determine a chips capability.

shikamaru317 said:

MS would be able to brute force their way to a similar 10-12 tflop level in 2019 by cutting down and underclocking Vega 20

Navi will have a focus on better scalability, AMD currently has a hard limit of 64CU's.
GCN however is extremely modular, Microsoft and Sony will NOT be taking an identical desktop PC part and whacking it into a console, it will be customized to a certain degree to meet various design goals.

I just don't see Vega happening for next gen, it didn't meet expectations... And I am pretty sure Primitive Shaders and Draw Stream Binning Rasterization is still not activated yet either, which could possibly point to a hardware fault in the architecture. (Or AMD lacking the resources to implement it appropriately in the drivers.)

shikamaru317 said:

and they'd have to sell at a small loss in order to match PS5's price, and the TDP would be higher so they'd have to use a bigger PSU to power it and vapor chamber cooling to keep it cool, but the end result would be 2 consoles that are roughly equivalent in terms of graphical power.

Some bold assertions.
However...
* We have no idea what the power characteristics of Vega is like at 7nm.
* We have no idea what the power characteristics of Navi is.
* We have no idea on clock rates.
* We have no idea how aggressive the binning and thus voltages are.
* We have no idea what kind of overall performance improvements that Navi will bring, it might be inconsequential in the overall scheme of things.

So assuming it will rely on Vapor Chamber cooling (Which is added cost.) or require significant power delivery (Which is added cost) is unfounded at this stage until we get more information.

AMD tends not to have big gigantic efficiency or power consumption gains at an architectural level with each successive evolutionary update to graphics core next, assuming Navi will break that norm would be extremely unwise, most of the gains AMD has had to efficiency is thanks to lower fabrication geometries.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CGI-Quality said:
TallSilhouette said:
Since we're guessing at specs ITT, here's mine:

PS5 in Nov 2020, $399
>10TF Navi GPU
8 core 7nm Zen CPU
16 GB GDDR6 w/ big bus
128-256GB boot+cache SSD
2TB 7200 rpm HDD
2x USB-C 3.2
Bluetooth 5.0
HDMI 2.1
2.1 compatible Blu Ray

The most realistic specs, yet. I'd only add 4 cores to that CPU, but otherwise, excellent guess!

I'm slightly afraid that if the next CCX on 7nm Zen is 6 cores, then 6 cores it is going to be on consoles, instead of 8 or 12. It's not like all the three manufactures have shown much predisposition for increasing CPU power dramatically, even though there is sort of a media and fan consensus now they should.

haxxiy said:
CGI-Quality said:

The most realistic specs, yet. I'd only add 4 cores to that CPU, but otherwise, excellent guess!

I'm slightly afraid that if the next CCX on 7nm Zen is 6 cores, then 6 cores it is going to be on consoles, instead of 8 or 12. It's not like all the three manufactures have shown much predisposition for increasing CPU power dramatically, even though there is sort of a media and fan consensus now they should.

Well... It's 6-cores per CCX if the rumors are accurate.
The Current Zen chips are 4-cores per CCX... So it's 50% increase in core counts.

But it does mean 6-cores becomes more likely for next-gen consoles... And let's be honest. 6x Zen cores is still pretty damn beefy if they clock them decently.

taus90 said:
Kerotan said:
So let me get this straight? Navi is the next gen GPU from amd created primarily but not exclusively with ps5 in mind?

Rumour has it, it's been delayed to better fit Sonys requirements for ps5?

Could a machine with this in 2020 launch at €400?

How powerful is this thing? Are we talking 4k 60fps?

well its complicated, it seems like because of sony's release road map for PS5, Navi had to be pushed back, So amd has 3 navi tech, Navi 10 which will be ready by the end of 2019, Navi 14 maybe same year and Navi 20 which will be the high end gpu and will arrive after navi 14.

Talking about the power. Navi 10 will be equivalent to vega at 7nm. So considering the navi will use next gen memory, even if sony used laptop version ryzen CPU, 4k 60fps could be achieved. But i think Sony's focus will be to push for higher frame rates for VR.

It seems that Navi 10 which will be cheaper, will be exclusive to PS5 with a custom design from sony coz the info that came out of computex seems like Navi 10 will be for professional use, Navi 14 which will be releasing soon after navi 10 will be available for gamers. (i wont be suprise if MS goes for navi 14.)

Navi 20 will be ready by 2021

Navi 20 ps5 Pro in 2023 that does 4k 60fps games no problem? 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

The Playstation 4 took advantage of higher density memory modules for a similar cost.
Otherwise they would have had to double the amount of memory chips and costs would have blown out.

12GB or 24GB... I just don't see happening from a cost point of view, you would need a 384-bit memory bus to power that.

Duuude you can do 12GB or 24GB of ram on 256-bit memory bus, this is possible on GDDR6 but not GDDR5.

EDIT:

Since you usually ask for source for some random reason (you should find a source not me), this what I found

http://monitorinsider.com/GDDR6.html

"GDDR6 breaks with that tradition and offers in-between options. The standard allows a capacity of 8 to 32 Gbit, but 12 Gb and 24 Gb are possible as well. This will probably make GPU makers happy since it will increase the ability to segment the market based on the amount of memory."

"Today, a GPU with a 256-bit bus can only cleanly support 4GB, 8GB or 16GB. With GDDR6, they will also be able to support 12GB, while still maintaining a full balanced load with identical sized memories connected to each controller."

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 15 June 2018

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

haxxiy said:
CGI-Quality said:

That's why most rumors points toward a 8 core zen/zen+ cpu, not a zen2. They will likely just do some minor customization and port the cpu to 7nm.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:

Duuude you can do 12GB or 24GB of ram on 256-bit memory bus, this is possible on GDDR6 but not GDDR5.

1) I never said it was impossible.
2) You will need 2x memory chips on a single memory channel, which means performance/bandwidth is degraded when memory transactions are performed on that memory location.
3) It is in-fact possible regardless of memory technology.

In-fact nVidia did such a thing as recently as the Geforce GTX 970.
See here:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-memory-issue-fully-explained/

And AMD took a path similar to that where they decoupled the rops and had two on a single crossbar, this brought with it some caveats.
See here:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/4

Trumpstyle said:

Since you usually ask for source for some random reason (you should find a source not me), this what I found

The burden of proof always lays with the person who makes the claim.

The reason why I typically don't cite all my claims is because... After all these years, should I really have to? I think I have established that I know exactly what I am talking about.
With that in mind, if you ask me to provide evidence, you bet your ass I can and I will, but keep in mind... Once you ask me for evidence, I will rip your future posts apart if they lack evidence.

Trumpstyle said:

"GDDR6 breaks with that tradition and offers in-between options. The standard allows a capacity of 8 to 32 Gbit, but 12 Gb and 24 Gb are possible as well. This will probably make GPU makers happy since it will increase the ability to segment the market based on the amount of memory."

"Today, a GPU with a 256-bit bus can only cleanly support 4GB, 8GB or 16GB. With GDDR6, they will also be able to support 12GB, while still maintaining a full balanced load with identical sized memories connected to each controller."

Each memory chip has it's own bus to the memory controller.
For example... On the Xbox One it has 16x memory chips, each chip has a 16-bit path to the memory controller for a total of 256-bit.
Remember, memory transactions are a parallel task.

https://www.chipworks.com/ja/node/123

The exact same principle applies to all other memory technologies, be it NAND, RDRAM, DDR Ram, GDDR Ram, HBM.

Now the reason why that 12GB capacities might be possible on a 256bit bus with GDDR6 is simple. They will have 3Gb chips. - They don't currently exist yet however, they might never exist.
Not everything that is defined by JEDEC actually reaches the market.
And initially it will be 2-4Gb chips that hit the market, which is what GPU's will likely leverage anyway, because advertising. (There is a reason why 4GB low-end GPU's exist, even if they can't use it all effectively!)
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-530

CGI-Quality said:
shikamaru317 said:

I don't expect the GPU or RAM in next-gen consoles to monstrously exceed the CPU personally. The GPU upgrade is looking like it might only be 2x XB1 X. The Zen CPU meanwhile will probably be like 3-4x better than the overclocked 8 core Jaguar in XB1 X, even if it is a 6 core Zen CPU. Zen has hyperthreading (or AMD's version of it), so even with a 6 core Zen we'll have 12 threads compared to 8 on Jaguar. Sure hyper threading isn't as good as having actual physical cores, but I'd reckon that hyperthreading will make up for Zen having 2 less cores than Jaguar. Plus we'll get a huge increase in IPC, and hopefully MS and Sony aim for at least 2.4ghz frequency wise on Zen. 

2400MHz is measly. 3.0 or, as Pema would say, GTFO. These things don't need to be gimped anymore, and I promise you, even 2x the power of current console GPUs (Pro/X) will be an issue for an under-clocked/specked CPU. Forget 4K/60 if that's all they can muster. 

Not to mention there is absolutely 0 reason to have Zen at 2.4ghz. Zen has shown to be extremely efficient at 3Ghz+ clockspeeds, I would imagine at 7nm it would be even more so.
Plus, single threaded performance is a must if they aren't going to take the core counts wide.

As for Hyperthreading, there is caveats to that. - I would be fine if they didn't bother with it for the consoles.

TallSilhouette said:
Since we're guessing at specs ITT, here's mine:

PS5 in Nov 2020, $399
>10TF Navi GPU
8 core 7nm Zen CPU
16 GB GDDR6 w/ big bus
128-256GB boot+cache SSD
2TB 7200 rpm HDD
2x USB-C 3.2
Bluetooth 5.0
HDMI 2.1
2.1 compatible Blu Ray

Nip and tuck here and there if needed to hit that price point. I'm sure some devs will still want to push the boat out with the most impressive looking games possible at 30fps and sub4k, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony urges more of their own studios to target 60fps (or at least have performance modes) for more VR compatibility.

Nice guess.

Also, there's no need to go for 30 or 60fps if they go with HDMI 2.1 as they'll be able to use variable refresh rates, like G-Sync or Freesync, through it. Sure, you'll probably need a compatible TV, but that's something that hasn't been a problem for them this two past gens, so I doubt it will be one this time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Pemalite said: 

HollyGamer said:

SONY can learn from Xbox One X technique on TDP optimization by soldering the APU close to the PSU.

...Umm. What.

Watch digital foundry on how Xbox solution by optimizing their TDP by soldering their APU close to the power source 

HollyGamer said:

You might be right, but you also need to remember we are talking about AMD GPU here, not Nvidia , 15 teraflop Nvidia will be equal to 20 to 22 teraflop on AMD gpu , and also if PS5 releasing in 2020 or even 2021 , 20 teraflop + will be a mainstream GPU or standard even on PC. And high end will be like 24 to 30 teraflop on AMD PC GPU.

Flops are flops. They are absolutely identical regardless if it is nVidia or AMD.
The issue is... The flops that gets thrown around casually like you have done so is merely a theoretical, unachievable number in the real world.

Agree flop are flop but Nvidia and AMD are different , most AMD GPU tend to have bigger TF then Nvidia but Nvidia is more efficient, so if we want to compare the TF between Nvidia and AMD GPU then we use that rule of thiumb, for example GTX 1070 6,5 TF are comparable to RX Vega 56 9 TF on Vega 56. 

HollyGamer said:

if Xbox One X can have 12 GB GDDR5  on this gen why not go nuts on next gen. Also future PC GPU will also go nuts. Even AMD has GPU that support 64 GB HBM2. And also even if it's imposible "a man can dream " . XD 

The Xbox One X is a "Premium" high-costing device.

The wider memory bus? Costs more.

It's cost more but it will be tackled by next gen memory that will have wider memory bus (GDDR6)

The extra memory chips? Costs more.

Yes , every chip cost more, but then is a nutural for every generation they added more RAM

The extra layers on the PCB? Costs more.

Again agree, but it's a natural law, more chip more cost but it will benefit more

The more complex crossbar memory controller? Costs more.

Again agree
The superior power delivery? Costs more.

Agree, but then again by time it will be cheaper 

The superior cooling mechanism? Costs more.

Agree, but better performance, higher clock  and life expectation 

And it has the price to match... Which is why it will never hit the low price points of the Xbox One S.

That's why i am expecting price around 500 USD to 550 USD  which is fine, (Xbox One X sold alot whit this price)

For a next-gen console that isn't targeting a lower price point, then you bet'cha an odd 12GB/24GB set-up will simply be unfeasible from a cost perspective. (Plus ignoring the insane pricing for DRAM right now.)

why would SONY will be using the same price method if Xbox One X can be popular in 500 USD price range, is and also SONY can just close their marginal profit for one year , until each of component becoming cheaper.

And guess what Navi is? Graphics Core Next 6.0.

Most article point out that Navi will start a transition to a new architecture, but i am sure they will have some similarities from old architecture 

They are all part of the same overarching architecture, with small enhancements at every evolutionary iteration.

Yes, but  it will be slightly different or most article point out that it will start to differ from previous gen architecture 

So yes, in short, Navi is a "revision" of the RX 500 series and by extension a revision of the same GPU that is found in the Playstation 4.

Probably, but with newer architecture , again read the interview on the article it will be different albeit will have some similarities. 

HollyGamer said:

Yeah , i understand cost is the problem here, but PS4 also first came with 8 GB GDDR5 when most  of High end PC GPU are 6 to 4 GB GDDR5 in 2013. And still they are managed to make a a high margin profit each of consoles sales. 

Otherwise they would have had to double the amount of memory chips and costs would have blown out

Agree, that's why PS5 will follow the same route

then they increase it to 384 if it need to