By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cyberpunk is a first person shooter RPG, play as male or female

Disappointing news. My excitement went from a 10 to about a 5. I really hope they put a demo out before release as I'll have to try it before buying.

Around the Network

Thread title correction:

Cyberpunk 2077 is a first person RPG.

Nem said:
Eehhh... if its FPS only i might have to skip it.

I only play Fallout and Elder scrolls cause i can also go into 3rd person.

There's no point in an RPG where you can't see your character imo.

No point?

What the fuck?

I will play this. I am not bothered with first person gameplay when it comes to rpgs. Shit, I played Skyrim that way. Besides, the over the shoulder third person view is starting to be overused.

The more I read about the game the more excited I become. 

OTBWY said:
I will play this. I am not bothered with first person gameplay when it comes to rpgs. Shit, I played Skyrim that way. Besides, the over the shoulder third person view is starting to be overused.

It's funny considering years ago I don't think third person was as popular to use than now.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
It seems Speech will have no skill checks...I'm hoping that it doesn't mean there are no speech oriented skills which give you extra dialogue options to persuade or intimidate someone.

I've just read an interview on PCGamer that may put some of that concern away:

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-interview-we-wanted-to-test-ourselves-as-a-studio-to-make-a-game-so-different-than-the-witcher/

Can you tell me what the "cool" stat does?

The cool stat! For example, it's going to unlock certain things that you might not have been able to do, certain options when dealing with situations. Or, another example, the vendors that you have, the ripperdocs, if you have that cool and street cred level, they might bring down certain weapon prices or unlock certain weapons you might not have had there. So it is an integral part of it. It's also a throwback to the original tabletop game as well. So we are thinking of—forgive me for saying this—cool ways to use it. It's going to be an important thing for sure.

Is it safe to say it's basically the equivalence of charisma in other roleplaying games?

It's definitely a way to help interact with people on that front. But I don't want to say if it's a replacement, because I'm a level designer, I don't want to step on toes.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Hynad said:
Nem said:
Eehhh... if its FPS only i might have to skip it.

I only play Fallout and Elder scrolls cause i can also go into 3rd person.

There's no point in an RPG where you can't see your character imo.

No point?

What the fuck?

You do know what an RPG is right? If you can't see your character, if you can't customize your character, it's not much of a role play is it?

You can fuck the what all you want. I'm not interested.

Nem said:
Hynad said:

No point?

What the fuck?

You do know what an RPG is right? If you can't see your character, if you can't customize your character, it's not much of a role play is it?

That's ridiculous.  The first role-playing games were pen and paper, where your character usually only existed in your own imagination.  Many RPGs where you can see your character have no or very little visual character customization.

Just say it's something that you like.  Claiming it's some kind of integral part of the genre simply isn't true.

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:
It seems Speech will have no skill checks...I'm hoping that it doesn't mean there are no speech oriented skills which give you extra dialogue options to persuade or intimidate someone.

I've just read an interview on PCGamer that may put some of that concern away:

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-interview-we-wanted-to-test-ourselves-as-a-studio-to-make-a-game-so-different-than-the-witcher/

Can you tell me what the "cool" stat does?

The cool stat! For example, it's going to unlock certain things that you might not have been able to do, certain options when dealing with situations. Or, another example, the vendors that you have, the ripperdocs, if you have that cool and street cred level, they might bring down certain weapon prices or unlock certain weapons you might not have had there. So it is an integral part of it. It's also a throwback to the original tabletop game as well. So we are thinking of—forgive me for saying this—cool ways to use it. It's going to be an important thing for sure.

Is it safe to say it's basically the equivalence of charisma in other roleplaying games?

It's definitely a way to help interact with people on that front. But I don't want to say if it's a replacement, because I'm a level designer, I don't want to step on toes.

Yeah, that definitely feels like Charisma to me, which is nice...of course, I'll have to wait and see how much of that is in game, I always like to have at least one playthrough where I focus on non-combat skills, so I'm hoping there's enough of that to allow for that.

pokoko said:
Nem said:

That's ridiculous.  The first role-playing games were pen and paper, where your character usually only existed in your own imagination.  Many RPGs where you can see your character have no or very little visual character customization.

Just say it's something that you like.  Claiming it's some kind of integral part of the genre simply isn't true.

Yeah, that's what you get when genre becomes mainstream - bunch of people who base their idea of it on what AAA publishers are pushing at that moment.

Now I'm sad, still looking forward to see more from this, still might tickle my fancy.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid