By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122

After watching some of the invitational tournament (haven't finished it yet), it's seems to be a lot faster than the previous games, which I welcome a lot.
And you slowly start to see the differences, I recommend people to watch it.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Doesn't sound too different from an Ultra SF4 or Ultimate MvC2. It's a new version and a remaster at the same time. It's not a new game cause it's not wholy rebuilt from the ground up.

Nem said:
Doesn't sound too different from an Ultra SF4 or Ultimate MvC2. It's a new version and a remaster at the same time. It's not a new game cause it's not wholy rebuilt from the ground up.

Most iterative sequels are not rebuilt from the ground up, it's commonplace for such games to be built on the foundation of their predecessor.

Hiku said:

the only reason that's even part of the discussion is because the engine they're using is from a previous generation console.

That's hardly unheard of though; Arkham Knight on PS4/Xbone uses the same engine as Arkham City on PS3/360.

curl-6 said:
Nem said:

Most iterative sequels are not rebuilt from the ground up, it's commonplace for such games to be built on the foundation of their predecessor.

Smash Ultimate isn't built on the foundation of it though, it's literally just the same game but modified and with added content.

Heck, if I compared the version of Minecraft that I played in early beta almost a decade ago to Minecraft now, the changes wouldn't be any less drastic to this.

It's just a rebalanced and more complete version of it's previous iteration. You don't have a new setting, or totally new cast, or totally new art style, or totally new set of modes(from what we've heard), it's just the same core game from WiiU, with a newish UI and a few design changes.

It's not a bad thing, but I'm not sure why we have to pretend otherwise.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Nem said:

That assertment is simply misleading. This is smash for Wii U enhanced and with new mechanics. It is painfully obvious. But if people wish to imagine it isn't, it's not my problem. It's not the first time i see people rejecting reality for a dream view. I mean it's even in the name... But, it is still a pretty good game and i personally love new versions of fighters with more content. Heck, this is not that different from MK8 deluxe. We saying that isn't a port either? It's an enhanced port. Want to be in denial, be my guest.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

Smash Ultimate isn't built on the foundation of it though, it's literally just the same game but modified and with added content.

Heck, if I compared the version of Minecraft that I played in early beta almost a decade ago to Minecraft now, the changes wouldn't be any less drastic to this.

It's just a rebalanced and more complete version of it's previous iteration. You don't have a new setting, or totally new cast, or totally new art style, or totally new set of modes(from what we've heard), it's just the same core game from WiiU, with a newish UI and a few design changes.

It's not a bad thing, but I'm not sure why we have to pretend otherwise.

It's not literally the same game though, just like Brawl is not the same game as Melee despite being having a lot of the same characters and stages. The mechanics are different, the graphics are different, much of the content is different. It's just an iterative sequel reusing material from its predecessors just like Splatoon 2, Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, or COD.

Nem said:
curl-6 said:

That assertment is simply misleading. This is smash for Wii U enhanced and with new mechanics. It is painfully obvious. But if people wish to imagine it isn't, it's not my problem. It's not the first time i see people rejecting reality for a dream view. I mean it's even in the name... But, it is still a pretty good game and i personally love new versions of fighters with more content. Heck, this is not that different from MK8 deluxe. We saying that isn't a port either? It's an enhanced port. Want to be in denial, be my guest.

Yes, I'm really not a pro of Smash, but for me "Ultimate" refers to something like "ultimate version", so either an enhanced port or a compilation. It seems normal that other people would doubt... 

Nem said:

Edit:  Since there's like 3 other people arguing against this clearly fallacious point, I might as well not spend the time.

Nem said:
curl-6 said:

It's not though, if it was just Smash Wii U Deluxe it would have all the same assets and basically identical mechanics. Neither is the case.