By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Micorosft Studios E3 Expansion - 5 New 1st Party Studios (Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs)

hiccupthehuman said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

MS is very much hands on too. Black tusk ring any bells? 

If you mean that MS forced Black Tusk to work on Gears of War, that is not true. They were never forced to work on that franchise. Shortly after MS had acquired the Gears of War IP, they approached Black Tusk and offered them the possibility of working on Gears or continuing working on their new IP. The team unanimously choosing to work on Gears. I remember reading about it and seeing a behind-the-scenes video where Rod first spoke to the team offering them Gears 4 and the room loudly erupting in cheering.

They abandoning their own IP to pick up Gears to me show they didn't had much confidence in it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Today I learned MS expanded their first party portfolio is actually a bad thing...

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Today I learned MS expanded their first party portfolio is actually a bad thing...

Yep, I can also see Microsoft buy more studios.

Maxosaurus-rex said:
We want to be free from the AAA machine and make games focused on the experience, not around monetization. We want to take bigger creative risks and create genre-defining games without the constant threat of annihilation. We want to make our own games our own way, and not be told what to make and how to make it. And above all, we want to protect our team, our culture and our identity. Because above all, that is Ninja Theory. In short, we asked for full creative independence and I remember thinking at the time that this is going to the end of that conversation.

Does he know what MS does?

Based on the video they put out it seems like MS is giving them full creative freedom to do what they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIxWgVOCexU

jason1637 said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:
We want to be free from the AAA machine and make games focused on the experience, not around monetization. We want to take bigger creative risks and create genre-defining games without the constant threat of annihilation. We want to make our own games our own way, and not be told what to make and how to make it. And above all, we want to protect our team, our culture and our identity. Because above all, that is Ninja Theory. In short, we asked for full creative independence and I remember thinking at the time that this is going to the end of that conversation.

Based on the video they put out it seems like MS is giving them full creative freedom to do what they want.

That's cool. Stay tuned. MS will always have the final say and push them into a direction which goes with MS' business plan 

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
flashfire926 said:

which ones?

Remedy?
Crytek?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

jason1637 said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Great video, and fantastic that they only used 10M to make Hellblade (which also sold great based on their expectations), very good budget management. With MS money they can go very high.

I sure see some struggle between they wanting to focus on experience instead of moneytization which is almost opposite of MS. But perhaps that is exactly why MS bought them, small cost to show they are giving options.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Conina said:
thismeintiel said:

With the snap of his fingers, he will close half of those studios if their first 1-2 games underperform. 

And so will Sony if their studios underperform.

Remember Guerrilla Cambridge Studio? Evolution Studios? San Diego Studio? Studio Liverpool? Zipper Interactive? Incognito Entertainment? BigBig Studios?...

Still pisses me off what Sony did to Zipper and SOCOM. 

But anyway, get out of here with your logic and facts. Only Microsoft cancels games and closes studios.

Phil cancelled games that didn't work out, and had been originally been greenlighted /dealt by Matrick and old management. Lionhead was a sad closure, but truth is after Molyneux departed the studio had lost identity and direction.

Since Phil has taken over the ethos has changed in the right direction, proven by Rare's foray into Sea of Thieves, and The Coalition developing the RTS, Playground's non-racer in development etc..

To get this kind of $ commitment today and support from Satya Nadella to expand first party production is very encouraging . Note the people in charge at these various new studios since Phil has taken over. Rod Fergusson, Jeff Strain is an industry pioneer , Darrell Gallagher...and Playground has proven one of the best second party studios of recent....Folks with expertise and proven to steer the course and ship quality games. Ninja Theory has proven to do high quality bar production with low budgets. I see the right people up top managing these studios and adding value to MS first party.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

DirtyP2002 said:
Snoopy said:

which ones?

Remedy?
Crytek?

No, I can see them buying Moon Studios (creator of Ori) or something like blue hole/ hi rez studios. They need to still expand their GAAS studios. The problem with Remedy/Crytek is that none of their games have been successful lately. If Alan Awake or Quantum Break took off, they would've been purchased by now.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 12 June 2018