By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Citizen Introduces $27,000 Legatus Pack

So $27,000 for a digital item in a game that hasn't been released yet.

That's disgusting. It shouldn't even be an option.

Around the Network

This game and its fanbase are fascinating.

One one hand, the game is obviously ambitious and looks very pretty. I can see why it captures people's imagination.

One the other hand, it's clear that the developers (CIG) have no incentive to to ever release the full game. They have already been paid and the money keeps on coming. CIG won't ever have to pay back their fans, instead, the more they add to the game, the more money they can ask. This is a fanbase that is willing to pay millions for unreleased, digital content and they'll defend it to the death.

CIG has struck a gold mine, and that gold mine is a deadly mix of extreme nerd lifestyle (prioritizing digital life over real life) and cognitive dissonance. When you pay thousands of dollars in the hopes to satisfy your digital dreams, no amount of criticism is going to change your mind: you need this to succeed and you're willing to do whatever kind of mental gymnastics to be able to cope with the situation.

It's interesting stuff and as an outsider I couldn't care less what people spend their money on. However, it does seem CIG is pushing it and taking advantage of the weaknesses of human nature. Even more so than any gaming company before. What EA did with BattleFront II is peanuts compared to this. Can't say I'll ever support them, that's for sure.

Chazore said:

This forums page is enough to tell you that hardly anyone here would like the game, let alone give it a shred of kudos.

To be fair, I noticed similar rhetoric during the era of Crysis. That game was downplayed hardcore in various circles.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

No one is giving it kudos cause there is nothing worth to give kudos about this, its that simple.

The game is giving us a level of simulation not seen before in a video game.
Some if it's effects are simply amazing as well.

And parts of the game  have been made available and are thus playable.

HollyGamer said:

So the game is like a gigantic pay mod, where only specific people can play the games and truly enjoy the games, (rich person toys) 

False.

HollyGamer said:

Well of course spending thousand dollars for something that is unreal like flying ships is benefit for human society 

All Microtransactions are silly in my opinion.
However... In StarCitizens case, that is how they get funding to make the game, so the real question is... Should we hold it to the same standard as say.. Battlefront 2?

With that in mind... If the game brings what it claims to bring, in my "world" there will be a benefit for human society.
It allows for me to unwind and enjoy myself in a hobby I love.

CuCabeludo said:
This game is a straight scam rubbed on your face.

Allot of people in this thread are claiming it is a scam.
Yet... Some of the product has already been delivered... What evidence have thou got that it is a Scam?

HollyGamer said:
Chazore said: 

No amount of explanations will ever change their viewpoint, let alone their level of understanding. All you will be met with is smarmy and vitriol responses.

Or maybe it's time to not defend shady business , like i know for PC elitist like u will defend this games like heaven and hell. 

Would be great if you and Chazore chilled a bit, this kind of rhetoric isn't constructive or forwarding the discussion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Chazore said:
HollyGamer said:

Well even if i was right and you are wrong i bet you would not understand and this discussion will keep going until both of us get a banned. So i hope people will see that your reasoning is really unrealistic to defend this shady business, i can see many people in this thread don't want to discuss with u because your attitude.  Good luck having people to be your allies in this matter .

Pemalite said:

HollyGamer said:

So the game is like a gigantic pay mod, where only specific people can play the games and truly enjoy the games, (rich person toys) 

False.

Yeah this is just my way of thinking  trying to define something that is exclusives for rich person. But it's only for rich person 

HollyGamer said:

Well of course spending thousand dollars for something that is unreal like flying ships is benefit for human society 

All Microtransactions are silly in my opinion.
However... In StarCitizens case, that is how they get funding to make the game, so the real question is... Should we hold it to the same standard as say.. Battlefront 2?

With that in mind... If the game brings what it claims to bring, in my "world" there will be a benefit for human society.
It allows for me to unwind and enjoy myself in a hobby I love

There is nothing wrong with hobby or to investing in hobby as it's has real life value, asking 27000 is really crazy especially for something that is useless in real life.

HollyGamer said:

Or maybe it's time to not defend shady business , like i know for PC elitist like u will defend this games like heaven and hell. 

Would be great if you and Chazore chilled a bit, this kind of rhetoric isn't constructive or forwarding the discussion.

Thanks ,for the advice, but i don't want to discuss with him anymore , many people already knows his attitude. Even if i was right he would not listen. so i pass. 

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Will start saving for it, thanks.

You traitor, save your money for Legend of Dragon remake for PS6  XD LOL 

Chazore said:

I had a feeling it wasn't going to be long until someone posted yet another Yong video on here . (He's like the loved version of Jim Sterling on here, while Jim is hated).

People will pay for what they want, but what's more interesting, is how much people are willing to pay for something. Well that and the fact that people who never liked the game and watched it from the outside, assume they know absolutely everything that's going on within the game development cycle.

That said, I'm still waiting patiently for Squadron 42 for some Hamill goodness.

Is Jim hated here? I've taken some issue with a few of his reviews but otherwise really like him, the guy is just brilliant.

I actually contributed around 100 bucks to the game back then, didn't really expect to get a game out of it. Just remembered the joy I felt when I played Wing Commander/Strike Commander/Privateer games back in the day. I felt that it was my way of saying thanks for the fun I had back then. No other game has given me so much fun as those games. It was mostly timing (it was at a time when I just discovered what great graphics/sounds were really like in games). Wing Commander made me buy my first Sound Blaster Pro and Strike Commander made me really juice up my PC that time. :D

Haven't really gotten into the game just yet, just popped in an explored the hangar/starbase. What do people do when they play the game? Last time I checked I had trouble even getting my ship off the hangar. Lol.

Talk about ripping your supporters.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

they should release the game soon

this non-stop fundraising isn't a good sign