By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption 2 to lock 2 in-game missions behind Special Edition

The implication in this thread is that the missions in question were once part of the whole game and then withheld, as opposed to being created specifically for the higher level editions. Is there a source for that? Is that an assumption or something that has been confirmed?

Around the Network

this is just a good reason not to purchase the game until both versions have dropped in price.

shikamaru317 said:
pokoko said:
The implication in this thread is that the missions in question were once part of the whole game and then withheld, as opposed to being created specifically for the higher level editions. Is there a source for that? Is that an assumption or something that has been confirmed?

Rockstar has confirmed that it is content specifically created for the special and ultimate edition, not content that was taken from the main storyline. 

Seems like a bit of an overreaction going on in this thread. This is no different from any other story mission DLC that has been included with the special or ultimate edition of a game the last few years since special and ultimate editions became common practice. 

If that's the case then I don't see much reason for outrage.  It's probably just a tweaked copy/paste of stuff that's already in the game, like most of "extra missions" and other bonus fluff.

KManX89 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
It's weird seeing people give other companies flack for this type of practice and then give a pass to rockstar for it. It's pretty crazy. Saw a lot of it on twitter.

IKR? If any other game did what NBA 2K18 did, there would be millions upon millions of journalists ripping them for it, but because it's a sports game and GTAO has the Rockstar fanboys who believe they can do no wrong on its side, it goes underreported. Unbelievable.

Both games go to ridiculous lengths to get you to spend more money on MTXs on top of the $60 purchase.

Because people played GTA V for years and Rockstar always updated the game for free it doesn't make it right but pay more and get more has been a thing for years now. 

pokoko said:
shikamaru317 said:

Rockstar has confirmed that it is content specifically created for the special and ultimate edition, not content that was taken from the main storyline. 

Seems like a bit of an overreaction going on in this thread. This is no different from any other story mission DLC that has been included with the special or ultimate edition of a game the last few years since special and ultimate editions became common practice. 

If that's the case then I don't see much reason for outrage.  It's probably just a tweaked copy/paste of stuff that's already in the game, like most of "extra missions" and other bonus fluff.

It WAS content withheld from people who pay full price for the game (and yes, $60 IS full price, for any game), not to mention charging for something that's already on the damn disc.

El oh el.

It's not enough that they're making the online mode PTW, they seriously have to degrade the single-player as well by not giving you the full game with the full price purchase? 

Last edited by KManX89 - on 07 June 2018

Around the Network
KManX89 said:
pokoko said:

It WAS content withheld from people who pay full price for the game (and yes, $60 IS full price, for any game), not to mention charging for something that's already on the damn disc.

El oh el.

It's not enough that they're making the online mode PTW, they seriously have to degrade the single-player as well by not giving you the full game with the full price purchase? 

I don't understand what you're saying.  Why do you think you're entitled to something they created specifically for a collector's edition?

I won't be buying RDR2 until it goes down in price or gets a complete edition for $60. Shadow of War, and Assassin's Creed Origins got skipped by me last year for the exact same reasons.

I mentioned this in that thread about PS4 getting timed exclusive content. It’s a one two punch of horse shit and I’ll buy the game used as a result, even though I’d prefer a digital preload. Typically publishers lock meaningless cosmetic crap behind “special edition” or “day one edition” junk. Locking out real content though, fuck that.

pokoko said:
KManX89 said:

El oh el.

I don't understand what you're saying.  Why do you think you're entitled to something they created specifically for a collector's edition?

Excuse me? Feeling "entitled" to something I paid for with my $60 purchase? If I pay full price for a game (and $60 is full price), I expect to get the full game. It's not "extra content", it was CUT content that they locked behind a SE to squeeze a few more dollars out of its customers. If it were truly extra content, it would've been worked on, finished and sold AFTER the game was already released, but that's not what happened here. It's stuff already in the game that they cut out and locked behind a paywall so they could hide behind "making it specifically for the SE", and yes, any content that was made to be sold before launch is, by definition, cut content.

KManX89 said:
pokoko said:

Excuse me? Feeling "entitled" to something I paid for with my $60 purchase? If I pay full price for a game (and $60 is full price), I expect to get the full game. It's not "extra content", it was CUT content that they locked behind a SE to squeeze a few more dollars out of its customers. If it were truly extra content, it would've been worked on, finished and sold AFTER the game was already released, but that's not what happened here. It's stuff already in the game that they cut out and locked behind a paywall so they could hide behind "making it specifically for the SE", and yes, any content that was made to be sold before launch is, by definition, cut content.

That's bullshit.  You're not entitled to everything a creator works on before release.  I have no idea where that sense of entitlement came from but that's all it is.  It doesn't work that way in ANY industry or business.  This whole idea that production staff has to wait around aimlessly until after sometime hits the market is just silliness.

A consumer is entitled to is what is in the description of the product, not "everything that has been worked on until now".  At that point, a consumer can decide if the value is there or not.