** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019
HomokHarcos said:
LipeJJ said:

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, or to people who have no conexion or knowlegde of the sport. But here, it definitely matters. Winning is the ultimate goal and will always be, but playing well is the better way to achieve it. Not only that, it what makes you competitive in the long scheme of things. Plenty of teams have come and go through the years, but 3 or 4 of them always have real chances of winning due to playing well or having strong bases.

Plus, we love seeing technical showcases (from any team). Football is also that for us, and I believe for many people as well. Don't worry, one day or another we'll win a World Cup again. We spent 24 years without winning one in the past (from 1970 to 1994) and we're still the top football nation.

Honestly I really don't get too deep into why how a team lost or could have done better. I'm the most familiar tactics or individual players I'm more of a historian.

Ah, I see. Btw, who are you rooting for now? My top picks are France, Belgium and Croatia, respectively.

Since you brought up historic data, I'd say France deserves to win again due to how consistently good they've been since the 80s, except the 2002 and 2010 implosions.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
HomokHarcos said:

Honestly I really don't get too deep into why how a team lost or could have done better. I'm the most familiar tactics or individual players I'm more of a historian.

Ah, I see. Btw, who are you rooting for now? My top picks are France, Belgium and Croatia, respectively.

Since you brought up historic data, I'd say France deserves to win again due to how consistently good they've been since the 80s, except the 2002 and 2010 implosions.

LOL I messed up my previous post. I meant to say I don't know too much about tactics or the individual players (can't name the starting lineup of any team). I usually cheer for the USA (but they missed it this time). Then Iran and Japan but both are out now. I don't usually root for UEFA teams other than Turkey, but I want the winner of Croatia and Russia to win in this tournament out of the teams remaining. Initially leaned towards Croatia, but now I want Russia.

HomokHarcos said:
LipeJJ said:

LOL I messed up my previous post. I meant to say I don't know too much about tactics or the individual players (can't name the starting lineup of any team). I usually cheer for the USA (but they missed it this time). Then Iran and Japan but both are out now. I don't usually root for UEFA teams other than Turkey, but I want the winner of Croatia and Russia to win in this tournament out of the teams remaining. Initially leaned towards Croatia, but now I want Russia.

Don't worry, I got what you meant. xD

Interesting. I'm always hoping USA do well too. I hope they qualify to Qatar 2022.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Sweden vs England 1-0
Russia vs Croatia 1-2

Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

I probably put too much weight in what Stefan Szymanski says (heck that's where my prediction about the World Cup becoming less relevant also came from), but he predicts in the future that Brazil (and the other South Americans) will stall behind the top teams of Western Europe. I think it's already happened, loot at Brazil's results against Western European teams at World Cups since 2006.
0-1 vs. France
0-0 vs. Portugal
1-2 vs. the Netherlands
1-7 vs. Germanu
0-3 vs. the Netherlands
1-1 vs. Switzerland
1-2 vs. Belgium

That makes 0 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses.

Before 2010 the only time two consecutive World Cups were won by a European team was 1934 and 1938. 2018 will mark the fourth consecutive time a European team wins the World Cup.

Who?

Anyway, I think you're being far too pessimistic. Brazil haven't had the best results against western European teams recently, but it's only a matter of time before they start winning again. Or hey maybe they'll come up against Andorra or something and then they'll surely win Look at the players Brazil have available to them still and the potential future players they have. Nearly every top European club has a a Brazilian player, there's still a huge amount of talent from Brazil for pretty much ever position. And in the future you've got players like Vinícius Júnior coming along too, I know nothing about the lad but if Real Madrid were willing to pay €45 million for a 17 year old there must be something special about him.

Besides, what about Argentina? They haven't really got as good a squad as Brazil and didn't in 2014 either yet they knockout out 3 of those western European teams you listed (Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands). If they can do that then Brazil are certainly capable of it too, and possibly Argentina again as well.

Then what about China too? They're pretty crappy now, and probably will be for awhile yet. But they're aiming to be the #1 team in the world by 2050. I very much doubt they'll actually manage that. But them becoming one of the world's stronger teams eventually seems almost inevitable to me.

He's a sports economist.

I'm hoping Brazil can rebound. They certainly haven't had the squad like the Ronaldo era yet again. Really they send players all over the world, so they should always be a contender.

He explained China too with something he calls the middle performance trap. If you know what the middle income trap is, it's when a poor increases it's standard of living quickly to become much middle income, but then gets stuck and can't reach high standards of living. He thinks the same thing happens with marginal footballing countries. Look at the USA and Japan. In the 1990s after the founding of the J. League and MLS, both went from not even qualifying for a World Cup to regularly making the Round of 16, but then they both get stuck there and stagnate. A similar thing will probably happen for China. He predicted that I felt a new contender emerges it will be what he called the core: Western Europe (and that already happened with Belgium).

I'm probably way too invested in this.

Last edited by HomokHarcos - on 07 July 2018

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

He's a sports economist.

I'm hoping Brazil can rebound. They certainly haven't had the squad like the Ronaldo era yet again. Really they send players all over the world, so they should always be a contender.

He explained China too with something he calls the middle performance trap. If you know what the middle income trap is, it's when a poor increases it's standard of living quickly to become much middle income, but then gets stuck and can't reach high standards of living. He thinks the same thing happens with marginal footballing countries. Look at the USA and Japan. In the 1990s after the founding of the J. League and MLS, both went from not even qualifying for a World Cup to regularly making the Round of 16, but then they both get stuck there and stagnate. A similar thing will probably happen for China. He predicted that I felt a new contender emerges it will be what he called the core: Western Europe (and that already happened with Belgium).

I'm probably way too invested in this.

I've no idea what a sports economist even is

I really don't buy that "middle performance trap" theory. I think it's just oversimplifying football. The US and Japan aren't as good as European or south American teams largely because they don't like football as much. They prefer other sports ahead of football, and while that doesn't mean they can't be a top football country as well, the sheer number of more popular sports in the US or the margin of the difference in Japan it certainly means there are less potentially top quality athletes going into football than there could be if it were more popular. That's also why China may far exceed either of them when they improve. Not only does China have a much larger population than either to better deal with competition from other sports, but there also isn't as much competition as in the US or Japan in the first place. This is a big if still, but if they do get really passionate about football then they will surely become a major power in the game.

I saw an interesting article that was something to do with that about Uruguay recently. They may not ever be one of the absolute favourites for the World Cup, but they are regularly seen as a dark horse contender, that's despite them being a small country with a tiny population. They're just so passionate about football, it's much more than just a game to them, and that's why they continue to produce top quality players despite being so small. It's for that reason that I think there will always be south American countries in with a shout of winning the World Cup. They may not win it as often as European teams, with how many more European teams there are that's quite reasonable, but they'll always be some contenders from there, and relatively speaking they are still way more successful in the World Cup than European teams (9 WCs for only 10 CONMEBOL nations, compared to 12 WCs for UEFA's 55 nations).

Thanks for the article I really enjoyed it. 😁 I understand that football culture is the main thing that determines how successful a national team is, but that makes me wonder why Turkey doesn't do better internationally. South America doesn't have as much depth as Europe youth, the only time a team other than Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay made a Wirld Cup semifinal was when Chile hosted in 1962.

An advantage China has over the USA is that it doesn't have to compete with as many other team sports as the USA, but the USA's advantage is that it has a much bigger domestic sporting culture than China. China's leader Xi Jiping has made Football a coarse in school and he seems very committed, but I don't future Chinese leaders will follow in his footsteps. It will be interesting to see where they actually are in 2050.

Sverige! Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman were Swedish, win it for them. And it will guarantee a country who never won it before will be in the final.

Its coming home

Going to be a hard match, Colombia and the Swiss are better teams but Sweden are the harder opponents due to their style of play.

Carl said:
Its coming home

A Frenchman invented the World Cup, why are you cheering for them? 😝